Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

KVH software update problem

I got an old KVH tracvision LM. Hooked it up to a computer running the KVH Flash Wizard and powered it up. It initialized and started searching so appeared to be working. Since it is an old model I decided to flash it with the software to be sure it had the latest.
The flashing looks to have worked alright but now the dish seems to be dead, it doesn't move or respond to commands. I have tried flashing several times.
What could be wrong???
It's hooked up correctly, I have measured 13.6 volts at the LM terminal strip. The fuse is good.
I don't know what else to do. It won't respond in the flash wizard or hyper terminal.

I appreciate any help!
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

I can't answer your question, but if you need the manual you can enter "KVH tracvision LM" into google.com and download it to your computer.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #3

Thanks, I do have the manual but unfortunately it doesn't cover anything about flashing the firmware or associated problems.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know anything about the LM, mine is an R5 but I imagine they flash in a similar way. The most important thing is to have an active internet connection to make sure the flashwizard is up to date both in version and flashfile, the last time I updated mine there was a lot of software changes, it is possible you reflashed with an old file. The help section breaks it down by model and gives you the instructions. On mine it requires a main AND RF board reflash. If it is not responding to command it is not talking and may be a serial adapter issue of some sort. I'd verify the adapter is working ok. It will not follow commands if you do not have it in debug mode with that command being DEBUGON You may know all of that, but there is a pretty big curve on this stuff and I have no idea where you are on that curve. When you state the fuse is good, which fuse? There are fuses on the main board itself and in line from the power supply, I have had them go out on the main board and the fuse looked fine, only found it when I checked the fuse for continuity.
Good luck!!!! KVH>>>>>>>
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

The LM is an old model that KVH doesn't support anymore. I am certain that the software/firmware that I am using is the latest versions. I did see data scrolling on the PC when the dish was powered on for the first time - then I flashed it and now nothing. I have tried sending commands but no response.
The fuse is on the main board - I checked it for continuity. I made sure the voltage at the board was over 13+ volts. The manual says the maximum operating voltage is 16 so I am considering using an external power supply to boost the voltage for flashing. It really shouldn't need to be higher though.
I am at a loss, I have spent so much time on this thing and tried everything I can think of. I was hoping someone with this or another model have had a similar problem and solved it.

Thanks for the response.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but you might post on one of the various satellite support forums to see if anyone can help you. Try this one... SatelliteGuys
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you've got about the same level of experience as I, and I've spent countless hours jacking with mine as well. When you try to reflash it does it go through the process like it did before or does it just sit there? Do you have the firmware file that was in it before? I always write down the old version before I reflash always fearing the worse. I have in the past had to manually pick the flash file because the wizard installed one that was incorrect. I'd try putting back the old version and see what happens if it is an option. KVH is not a user friendly product as you know, and their tech support will give you virtually no support. I do have a dedicated power source on mine, but I'd think your voltage would be adequate as well.
Let us know if you figure anything out and good luck man.....
Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #8

Unfortunately I didn't note what the original firmware version was. It was probably current and I didn't need to flash at all. I just wanted to be sure it was up to date and didn't expect to run into problems like this.
When I transfer the current version the PC shows it is communicating on COM1 and the data is transferring. Once the transfer is complete the flash wizard shows a sequence of commands to issue, which I did, but still no response or motion from the dish.
When I power up the dish it responds with ?PGM but that is all.
I am pulling out what little hair I have left on my head.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Know what ya mean, dreaded comb over, lol. I will look at the flash wizard commands for your model and see if I can come up with anything
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I cannot help you. If it is any consolation, my LM is now resting on the garage floor awaiting its trip to the recycle center.

We used it for 11 years, but at times it was very flighty and would not search. Be sure you have good dc voltage at the dome pc board to power the search.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

I just bought a 2006 Travel Supreme that has the KVH R6. I haven't tried it yet but when I had a KVH years ago on another RV it was a nightmare. It constantly needed an update from a laptop. I eventually sold it on Ebay and put a Winegard on top. Never had another problem. I hope this R6 is better.
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #12

Yeah,unfortunately it's starting to look like I will have to sell it for scrap parts...
Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, now it's time to decide what to put on top next, my R5 is dead as well, gyro went out. Want in motion still, not a lot to choose from out there, the KVH stuff is pricey, and zero support. Looks like kingdome or wingaurd as far as I can tell.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnitrous View Post
Yep, now it's time to decide what to put on top next, my R5 is dead as well, gyro went out. Want in motion still, not a lot to choose from out there, the KVH stuff is pricey, and zero support. Looks like kingdome or wingaurd as far as I can tell.

I just installed the Winegard Mini/Max in motion thing. Price was under $1000. Its footprint is a lot smaller than the LVH LM.

Winegard RT8000T RoadTrip MiniMax White 15" In-Motion Satellite TV Antenna : Amazon.com : Automotive

Very simple to install myself. The most work was removing the LM and cleaning the roof. Lots of little screw holes to fill after removing the LM.

I will not be able to give it a real test until next week's travel occurs.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote