Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #127

OK finally had time to work on this again. Ran new coax (as a test) system comes on says it's locked on sat. Then it is looking for an ID? say no ID found then continues to search. When it's found the sat my screen shows "locked Echostar 119" signal strength 65 then it starts to move again and I lose signal. If I command it to go to the basic point and make small adjustments using the laptop it will work, I can get a signal and watch TV. Not sure why it locks on the sats then decideds to just move on. Do I need to use the "TRISAT " command?
jbuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #128

65 seems high enough. I think it is one of two things. 1- Could be as if your RF board is not picking up enough signal strength so it keeps looking. On ExpressVu (Canadian equivalent of Dish) the Sat is found then the dish continues to move to fine tune and then usually will come to rest. 2-Could be it keeps looking for a different Sat because your EchoStar 119 is not properly configured. (SATINSTALL,SATCONFIG)(see post 12-13)

I am guessing the "No ID found" is a msg from the main board into your laptop? This would point to above option 2. As if the system went under EchoStar 119 on its way. Any other info on the laptop?

Hate to say this but you may have to call KVH and ask them what they think.. Might cost $40...

I don't think the TriSat command has anything to do with this. As far as I know your L3 does not switch by itself between the Sats as you flip channels. You will need KVH remote or your laptop hooked up and I think you would use the TriSat to "identify" the three Sats. You would then select either A or B or C with laptop.

You might try a different Sat to see if you get a stronger signal and also see if it locks...

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #129

Got it! After watching the antenna data on the laptop for quite a while I started noticing a set of numbers that looked familiar. The sequence was 0X1004 and 0X1006, well after looking at the commands listed in post 12 I thought could the numbers listed there possibly be in the wrong order? I went back reentered the commands but with the 0X1004 and 0X1006 instead hit ZAP and bam the antenna found the sats, tracked and locked on them after a bit it entered "sleep mode" can watch TV now I am assuming that the in motion aspect will work since if I walk around in the MH the antenna wakes up and moves a bit then back to sleep. Thank you all for the information and help. Joe
jbuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #130

I was a long time DirecTV user with my KVH L3. I wrote an e-mail to KVH regarding converting to Dish Network. They told me that I could not get HD with the L3. Reading through this forum it indicates that people do get HD.
I realize that KVH would like me to spend $$$'s for a new in-motion dish. I'm not ready to do that.
Can someone clarify what the deal is regarding Dish and HD for me?
Thanks, Al
al.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Using Dish you can receive HD using the L3. This is because Dish broadcasts HD on the original Ku band using MPEG4 compression whereas DirectTv uses Ka band for HD that the L3 cannot receive. I used the L3 for HD for several years using the VIP622 DVR from my S&B. There are some L3 parameters you need to change in order to lock onto the correct sats and Dish changes transponders occasionally. The problem is that the L3 only sees one sat at a time and usually requires a receiver system setup everytime you change sats. This is very inconvenient and is exasperated by the fact that the HD channels are spread between 3 sats on eastern arc and 3 different sats on western arc.
If you don't care about HD and use directv point it at 101 and you will have most of the channels in SD.
I ended going to Directv and a SWM3 Winegard Trav'ler and Genie receiver. I am very satisfied now.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #132

R5SL pointing problems

We have just purchased a used 2009 motorhome with a KVH R5SL antenna. It was setup for Direct TV. We took it to our dealer to be changed over to DISH. After being in the shop for over a month, the dealer said he had it working. He did the Flash Wizard Update as required. The dealer was using his 211z receiver. At the time we did not have DISH turned on in the motorhome. Now we have DISH turned on and it does not work. The DISH service rep could not get it to work either. He said we have a problem with our antenna.
When the antenna is turned on it never stops searching for satellites. I removed the cover on the antenna and the antenna was always pointing 90 degrees to the left from where it should be pointing.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?
Glennj2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #133

Are you able to connect a laptop to it as per instructions above?
It probably needs to be configured (SATCONFIG)...
Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #134

Yes, I have connected a laptop and run the Flash Wizard to load the latest upgrades per KVH. I have not checked the SATCONFIG yet. I will do that next per the instructions in #12 from you. I have a blown fuse on the main board now.
It is odd that the dealer service tech had it working at the shop, then as soon as I had DISH turned on it did not work. I should have gotten the tech to let me see it working! Thanks for the help. Will let you know if this works.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #135
Community Moderator

don't mean to hijack... i have a 5 year old (made in 2010) R4SL with updated firmware, if anyone is interested...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #136

HHIDan,
After replacing the fuse in the main board, it looks like I have a total failure of the KVH system. I have decided to replace it with a Winegard Trav'ler. I am tired of fighting a loosing battle! Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thank you HHIDan for this thread! I have the cables and adapters & will attempt the upgrade tomorrow.

Proof that the info that you shared has helped many....
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #138

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
That was fun trying to update, but I think I'll get one of them Winegard Trav'lers. Need to sell a boat first.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #139

Hi Mike, What model KVH and where did you get stuck??
The Travelers are nicer but not in-motion...
Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #140

Glenn, same thing here. Pulled the old KVH off and replaced with a Traveler. Took about 3 hours to complete. Then, neighbors older KVH failed so we put a Traveler on his. Took a little less time on his. (Helps having a forklift &#128521 We really like the new dish. Can't watch going down the road but we never did anyway
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote