Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #85

[QUOTE=gripper;1982368]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I just finished updating the firmware in a KVH L3 and a KVH R5sl. I updated both the main boards and the RF boards and I found this to be relatively easy.

Where do you find this information (KVH L3 or KVH R5sl)? All my info on the wall says is "KVH Trackvision, Dish 500 Operation". I downloaded the updating info onto my computer, but I don't know how to transfer the info to the receiver?

Is the update info, compatable to Windows 8? It doesn't say so?

I'm about ready to dump Direct TV.
The update is not done on your receiver, it's done to the tracvision unit. Look for the switchplate with the on/off switch and the (9 pin?) port to
connect the computer to. Find the owner's manual PDF at the bottom of this page:
Manuals
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #86

Fleetwood Owners Club
HicksRA.....Thanks for ,the reply, but not much help. I clicked on "Manuals", and found my Dish 500 info, but it only showed me what is posted on the wall, adjacent to the switch where I turn on my automatic dish. No "9pin" connector, to the receiver, exists. I guess I have an "antiquated" system (installed about 2005, after the MH was built). It worked fine, when I bought the MH, in 2007, but it stopped working, a year or so later. I contacted Direct TV yesterday, to get it operational, but they told me I would have to hire a qualified "Tech", to fix the problem. So, I guess I will cancel DTV services.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #87

You should have a switch that looks like figure 4-1 Switchplate Maintenance Port in the owner's manual (page 4-5) that has the DB9 connection port. Mine is mounted in the top of a forward passenger side cabinet.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
To all who have provided information, knowledge and guidance in this thread,
Our TracVision L3 went crazy a few months back and continually searched for satellites, but would never lock on after a channel change on our DirecTV receiver. I had called KVH yesterday to try and get help, but I may have spoken to the same lady some of you came in contact with. She directed me to a couple servicing locations, (one out of business and the other, our normal service facility who said they had only replaced old KVHs with new Winegard), but was also willing to sell me on their service without letting me explain what I had done found.
Through all your info, I flashed both the main and RF boards successfully, but still didn't fix it. While watching the readout from main board I continued to see 'Astra 1' in the display. Whent to the help menue, found what command to give to have it look for DirecTV (101, 110, 119), entered it..... and it locked right up. Thanks again to all of you for your valuable contribution.

Wow. I've been struggling with a 2001 KVH LM in motion satellite receiver. I can hook up my lap top and try to tell it which elevation and azimuth to go to but what are the commands to tell it to look for directv satellites??

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Wow. I've been struggling with a 2001 KVH LM in motion satellite receiver. I can hook up my lap top and try to tell it which elevation and azimuth to go to but what are the commands to tell it to look for directv satellites??

Jeff
Jeff

Are you using the KVH Flash Wizard? In the help section it gives you basic antenna control functions and a list of some of those. I cut and pasted the command info for my DirecTV satellites and all was happy again. Here is the list of commands if it comes out right. Hope this helps.
Chuck
Basic Antenna Commands
HALT
Stops the antenna
DEBUGON
Places main PCB in Debug Mode
@DEBUGON
Places RF PCB in Debug Mode
SAT
Reports satellite being tracked
SATINSTALL<SAT_A>,<SAT_B>
Installs satellite pair (where <SAT_A> = your choice for satellite A and <SAT_B> = your choice for Satellite B). Refer to the TracVision manual for satellite installation names.
SATINSTALL,TRISAT,DSS
Installs the DIRECTV 101, 110, and 119 satellites.
SATINSTALL,TRISAT,DISH
Installs the DISH Network 119, 110, and 129 satellites.
SATINSTALL,TRISAT,DISH61
Installs the DISH Network 119, 110, and 61 satellites.
GPS,XX,<N or S>,YYY,<E or W>
Enters current GPS position (where XX = latitude, <N or S> = North or South, YYY = longitude, and <E or W> = East or West)
@L,A
Tracks your choice for Satellite A
@L,B
Tracks your choice for Satellite B
VERSION
Reports main PCB software version and antenna model
@VER
Reports RF PCB software version
=SERNUM
Reports antenna serial number
GOTO,AZXXXX,ELYYY
Sets saved satellite position (where XXXX = Azimuth and YYY = Elevation) - last digit is decimal (60.7° = 607)
TRACK
Starts tracking and sets saved satellite position
CLEAREE
This command clears the main PCB EEPROM to factory default, and shoul donly be used when instructed by KVH Tech Support.
@CLEAREE
This command clears the RF PCB EEPROM to factory default, and should only be used when instructed by KVH Tech Support.
=CALGYRO
In-motion systems only - Calibrates the gyro
=LSTEST
DVB systems only - Performs limit switch test
INSTANTON
Sets Instant On Mode to on
INSTANTOFF
Sets Instant On Mode to off
SLEEPON
Sets Sleep Mode to on
SLEEPOFF
Sets Sleep Mode to off
ZAP
Restarts the antenna
RFGAIN,XXX
Non-DVB systems only - Sets antenna gain (higher gain = higher signal level) where XXX = gain setting
RFGAIN
Non-DVB systems only - Reports RF gain setting
SIGLEVEL
Reports satellite signal strength
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
To all who have provided information, knowledge and guidance in this thread,
Our TracVision L3 went crazy a few months back and continually searched for satellites, but would never lock on after a channel change on our DirecTV receiver. I had called KVH yesterday to try and get help, but I may have spoken to the same lady some of you came in contact with. She directed me to a couple servicing locations, (one out of business and the other, our normal service facility who said they had only replaced old KVHs with new Winegard), but was also willing to sell me on their service without letting me explain what I had done found.
Through all your info, I flashed both the main and RF boards successfully, but still didn't fix it. While watching the readout from main board I continued to see 'Astra 1' in the display. Whent to the help menue, found what command to give to have it look for DirecTV (101, 110, 119), entered it..... and it locked right up. Thanks again to all of you for your valuable contribution.

I can see your post on the ipad preview of subscribed topics but not on the thread

Yes I am using the KVH wizard and have it connected to my laptop on comm3. It says an update is available but I have not downloaded it because I was afraid KVH might disable the tool?
I have SD DIRECTV

Wizard says KVH Tracvision LM Rev C - version 2.11 serial numberv01110124
Limit switch test
Limit switch status: pass

Later says "IRD COMMUNICATION ERROR;no data received"
It keeps scrolling "pos215.3 30.1 2992" <-last 4 vary
Do I need to install the directv satellites?

Jeff
Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I cannot seem to get past into alizarin of the IRD. I think my old LM may not be compatible with my SD DIRECTV IRD since it doesn't have a low speed data port?
Upon initializing IRD it says
.send APG OSD ON
.TRY MPG IRD TYPE
.SEND MPG OSD ON
.switch back to echostar IRD type

IRD status fail. None

Jeff
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #92

Hi Jeff, I would go ahead and download the updates (main board and RF). I really don't think you have nothing to loose. I don't know why but it seems updating does not update the SAT configurations, so you might still need to do the SATINSTALL's. If you still have problems, the guys at KVH are competent and reasonable, they might charge the $40 fee (or whatever it is by now) but they will get you back up and running....
Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #93

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
I cannot seem to get past into alizarin of the IRD.
Jeff

Initialization

Jeff
Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #94

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Hi Jeff, I would go ahead and download the updates (main board and RF). I really don't think you have nothing to loose. I don't know why but it seems updating does not update the SAT configurations, so you might still need to do the SATINSTALL's. If you still have problems, the guys at KVH are competent and reasonable, they might charge the $40 fee (or whatever it is by now) but they will get you back up and running....

I would pay someone to help me set it up. I have a 2001 Datron dish that gives me no problem other than having to starve its coax signal until just before the azimuth is achieved.

Last time I called KVH I got some woman who basically told me to pound sand send buy a new dish. She convinced me to look to wineguard for my future needs.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I can see your post on the ipad preview of subscribed topics but not on the thread

Yes I am using the KVH wizard and have it connected to my laptop on comm3. It says an update is available but I have not downloaded it because I was afraid KVH might disable the tool?
I have SD DIRECTV

Wizard says KVH Tracvision LM Rev C - version 2.11 serial numberv01110124
Limit switch test
Limit switch status: pass

Later says "IRD COMMUNICATION ERROR;no data received"
It keeps scrolling "pos215.3 30.1 2992" <-last 4 vary
Do I need to install the directv satellites?

Jeff
I would try it and see. When mine went nuts, it is the only thing that seamed to be missing. Since then, all has been good. make sure your receiver is connected to the main cable from the dome as it will be looking to that receiver for its info. Good luck and hope that helps fix it.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #96

Jwff FWIW, my RV came with a in-motion KVH which still runs reasonably well. My setup is simple as we use only one receiver for 4 TV's (with a 4x4 matrix switch) and our system is Bell (same hardware as Dish). If my KVH should crash, I too would be looking at a Winegard Traveler as they are much more like your house system, much easier to do multiple receivers and more reliable signal capture. I could easily part with the in-motion aspect.

Your communications error between the IRD and the RF board... Have you tested you receiver in your house? Do you have two coax coming into coach from dish? If so, is your receiver connected to the coax from RF1 (not RF2)? You could try the second cable and switch it to RF1 or even try a new cable...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have one SD directv DVR. I have two satellites dishes on a splitter switch. The switch is from the Datron dish and the KVH lm3 to the DVR. I will test the coax run today and make sure I picked up rf1. The KVH will connect to directv occasionally but rarely.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #98

I would also try to bypass the splitter switch. On RF1 there is a DC sensor which is used to toggle the LNB H and V, so DC needs to be able to get through and some splitters cut DC out.