Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Lane Seeker

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-hRV0037.html

Anybody familiar with the Lane Seeker, a device to help keep you within ~2 ft of the centerline while you drive?

At $10 it might be helpful for those narrow, cement fence surrounded 2 lane construction zones. Just wondering if it really works or if it is a gimmick.
NavlAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For some it may be fine, but for me no thanks. I drive in such a manner that I watch the 2 or 3 vehicles ahead of me, so I would be distracted by the LED light.

Good idea though! Maybe we need a side looking radar on both sides to give us a audio alert of being too close.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen other gadgets similar that had you use a suction cup on a orange ball that you place on the windshield. Once could just as easily use an erasable red pen marker on the windshield or stick an adhesive paper dot. But none of these are for me. I have my convex side mirrors to glance at and prefer to look far ahead of traffic to see vehicles avoiding hazards on the roadway and braking. I don't want to get fixated on a lighte, ball or dot when driving as reaction time would be shortened. Besides, if you shift or move your seating position or head, the accuracy is off.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A simple mark on the top of the dash or windshield glass will do the same thing and its free. But only use it to check once in awhile or you will be driving the centerline when you ought to be looking at traffic. Besides, if you look well ahead instead of up close, you will stay positioned in your lane anyway,
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
When I drove an 18 wheeler a technique I used was my Left shoulder. Imagine the outside of your left arm alligned with the center line and you should be a foot or two right of it. center line thru armpit, puts you a few inches from it, center line thru chest area, open door and jump out. your going to hit something. Using this technique will help you from using crayons to draw lines all over you RV.
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #6

If you need a device to keep in in the lane you SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING A MOTORHOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Within 2 ft!!!!!! I have been on some roads this past few weeks that at two feet from the center line I would be scraping the cement side baracades, or driving off the shoulder of the road.

I look out ahead also. I found that I typically go where I'm looking. If it is narrow, a quick glance in a mirror will show me if i'm within the lines.

Many years ago driving a 5 ton military vehicle headed to Key West (1970 time frame) when meeting an 18 wheeler on that road the mirrors would slap each other as we passed. There was no more room for either of us to pull over without scraping the side of that long bridge. Talk about having to keep it between the lines!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Wayne M, that road was tight. If you slapped mirrors. There is a road in arkansas, think it's AR71 (someone will correct me i hope) that has a chapel for you to stop at before you start down that winding little number, want some fun, drive down it.

Diveman52, everybody has a technique they use when driving, including you. can't see any reason you shouldn't be driving as long as you don't hurt somebody else, or yourself Keep on driving.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$10.00 for a batter powered LED.. How about 1¢ for a small paper or plastic DOT.

Procedure: GO to a closed for the evening shopping mall and center the rig in the lane on the road circling the mall.. Have your parther put a small dot from a soap bar on the OUTSIDE Of the windshield, exactly where the center line is (use a straight portion of the circle drive)

Now trade places

Put a color dot, such as an AVERY inventory control dot, over each soap spot but on the INSIDE of the windshield.. One color for you, one for her

Publisher's clearing house sends out dots (usually green) for free.

And that, is that.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #10

In that same vein, Camping World used to sell a suction cup with and red arrow on it. I didn't use it or need it but my wife was a bit uncomfortable with driving such a large vehicle for the first time. We set the arrow up for her and it really only took a few trips before she realized that she really didn't use or need the indicator any longer.
Despite Diveman's "holier than thou" statement, the lane indicators can be very handy for the new driver. You don't need anything more than a most basic indicator as have been described above, but they can be a very useful training aide for the new MH driver. Just be sure that you don't become dependent upon them as the "eyes down the road" will always be your best driving tool.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #11

The proper way to stay the lane is to look straight ahead and use your preiferal vision. No gadgets!!!!!!!!!! If your not looking ahead your going to mess up. As is said befor if you think you need some gadget it's time to park it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it more than lickey and idiot.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #12

I deleted my response to your post as it did not serve the community.
Your posts do not either but we will have to just leave them lay.
You can have whatever opinion you like (no matter how misguided) and the rest of us will just offer advice (no matter how misguided). The rest is up to the reader do decide.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Diveman if you keep looking straight ahead, I'm curious- does your RV have rear view mirrows?? If it does are you a duck??
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please....NO More Rudeness

The points have been made, so stop the rude comments and jabs.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote