Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Latest on Millenicom

I received a message on my Jetpack from Verizon telling me to call a number they sent me in order to have uninterrupted service after 11/8. I spent 50 minutes one time on hold, then 45 minutes a few hours later without talking to a live body. I decided to go into a local Verizon Corporate store (not a store that sells Verizon products--I found out that they were clueless). They told me that Verizon will grandfather anyone with a Millenicom deal in at the same $89.99 price for ONE year. After that, there is no guarantee. I was not the only Millenicom customer in the store -- Verizon coporate is only just now getting the word out about grandfathering Millenicom.

We currently have our iPhone 5s's from Sprint. We're not under contract, but are paying $27/month for the iPhones. Verizon gave us $300 each for our phones, plus $150 each for coming over from Sprint, plus $100 each for their "Edge" program. In addition, we're doubling our data -- 30 G shared between the 3 devices is $130/month. Each phone is $40/month, and my current Jetpack is $20/month. All told, it will be $30/month cheaper than what we paid for our 2 phones and Millenicom, particularly because we got a military discount, AND I will have 5G total more data AND an iPhone 6. (Word to the wise -- to get the military discount, an ID does not suffice. You must have a current DFAS pay statement or a VA card.)

Given our 5 months we'll be spending in the lot we bought in Stoneridge (Blanchard, ID), Verizon was my best bet for coverage (Sprint roams there but works, AT&T does not work at all), nevermind the fact that they seem to have the best coverage nationwide.

I'm not replacing the SIM card in my jetpack until I have to -- apparently the Millenicom works until 11/8 so I may wait until then. I'll certainly wait until the end of the month to use up as many gig of data as I can! The poor man who paved the way in front of me at Verizon was there for 1.5 hours. I got out after 35 minutes thanks to him! I have to say that at least at the Casa Grande Verizon store, they were very patient and professional.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

I tried three times today for 60, 90, then 70 minutes on hold without talking to anyone.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

I was all set to just go with the Verizon proposal but after hearing that the $89.99/month is only for one year and it apparently goes up to $119.99 per month once the first year is over ($99.99 + $20 = $119.99), I'm having second thoughts. In other words, no true "grandfathering."

I may opt for the new Straight Talk 4G LTE Hotspot that uses Verizon. Between my Mifi and my Sprint USB stick, I use a bit over 20GB per month. However, if I plan to use 3G for more of my mundane internet tasks, I may be able to get away with using 10 GB or less on a Mifi. If so, the new Straight Talk Hotspot may be more cost efficient for me as their plans are more flexible.

I'd like to see more reviews of the new Straight Talk 4G Hotspot using Verizon before making the decision but so far, I see no speed reports from new users.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Is there a new version of the straight talk hotspot? Mine is only 3G.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Is there a new version of the straight talk hotspot? Mine is only 3G.
Yes, the new ZTE Hotspot that is 4G LTE on Verizon:

Straight Talk Now Offering Verizon and AT&T Based LTE Mobile Hotspots | Prepaid Phone News
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

you had better sign your new deal by Oct. 31, as the double data offer expires after that.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrv View Post
I tried three times today for 60, 90, then 70 minutes on hold without talking to anyone.
It's a lot quicker and less frustrating to go into a Verizon store . . .
Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
It's a lot quicker and less frustrating to go into a Verizon store . . .
Thanks, I am not far from a store now, I will do that.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is being discussed here.

Closed Thread

Tags
test