Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm replacing my old CRT TV with an LCD this week. My TV is mounted in the front dash, between the driver and passenger seat. I'm trying to figure out what kind of mounting bracket to buy. The orginal TV sat on a wooden platform and was surrounded by the fiberglass dash (which was molded with room to accomodate it. You've all seen this type setup, as it was fairly commone in the 90's. Since this area is otherwise unaccessable from the sides or rear, what kind of mounting bracket can I use so that I can remove the TV if I need to?

Suggestions are most appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm replacing my old CRT TV with an LCD this week. My TV is mounted in the front dash, between the driver and passenger seat. I'm trying to figure out what kind of mounting bracket to buy. The orginal TV sat on a wooden platform and was surrounded by the fiberglass dash (which was molded with room to accomodate it. You've all seen this type setup, as it was fairly commone in the 90's. Since this area is otherwise unaccessable from the sides or rear, what kind of mounting bracket can I use so that I can remove the TV if I need to?

Suggestions are most appreciated.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Darryl,

Can't help you with the TV, but that is sure one pretty dog!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Darryl,

I don't know your exact situtation, but I would think you could fabricate either a wooden frame or a metal frame that would extend outward, an inch or so, then attach this frame to the existing structure. Then slip the new LCD into the cavity, all connected of course, and attach the TV to the new frame and cover the new screws with "button" plugs (If wood) or pan head screws (if metal).

I love a challenge like this, see my upgrades here: http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7486073452/m/...10407341#10510407341

Good luck,
Old 04-29-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
paz

Daryl, there have been several threads on iRV2 where members have replaced older TVs with LCD TVs. Try doing a 'Find' for "LCD TV" or "Replace TV" or something like that. Don't forget to uncheck the box to allow the search to expand to other forums.

One member (two2go) recently replaced his TV with an LCD in a thread called My LCD TV Replacement and provided a description with pics. His was an overhead mount instead of a dash mount, but maybe you can get some ideas from what he did. It looks like he used a metal mount that may have come with his TV and then screwed it to a frame he fabricated from wood. The frame was then installed in the existing enclosure. Maybe you could fasten your internal frame to the plywood base. You may also need to make an additional piece of trim to adapt the new TV to the fiberglass housing.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Daryl, having just replaced our overhead TV with an LCD in a different location in the coach, I would add not to depend solely on the mounting holes provided on the rear of the new TV. I found the back of the TV far too flexible, and had to provide additional bracing to stop movement of set while traveling.

Dieselclacker
Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
Daryl, having just replaced our overhead TV with an LCD in a different location in the coach, I would add not to depend solely on the mounting holes provided on the rear of the new TV. I found the back of the TV far too flexible, and had to provide additional bracing to stop movement of set while traveling.

Dieselclacker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is an excellent point. The original mounts are designed for mounting the TV to the wall of a stick house and not for bouncing down the highway. I'm not planning to update our TV in the near future, but if and when I do, I'll have to plan for additional support.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all for the replies and the excellent advice. I looked at all the threads provided and they were a big help. I especially liked the photots of the fabricated mount from Paz. I'm going to need to do something similar to this.

Dieselclacker, I whole heartedly agree about adding additional support. At the moment, I plan to do that by somehow supporting the bottom of the TV with a semi-flexible support of some kind to help with any bouncing. I am a bit handicapped with my installation, as there is nothing to "lag onto" for a top support. The fiberglass dash is up there and nothing else. If I were really industrious, I could mix up some glass and affix a metal bracket to the bottom of the dash, I suppose. This is a job for the coming weekend.

Lastly Jim, thanks for the kind comments on Savannah. She's a sweetheart and contrary to her looks, would probably lick you to death. She's got the sweetest disposition of any of my previous Chows. We go to alot of dog shows and she's already ready to go! Travelling with her is a treat.

Thanks again, all.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #9
paz

Darryl, glad all the info was helpful. Let us know how everything turns out. If you have a digital camera, maybe you can post some photos of your own.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #10

I am one of the installations referenced above. I used a simple 2-piece metal mount where one piece screws to the TV and the other is screwed to my wood mounting brace as seen in the picture. The TV installs by holding it up against the bracket and sliding it down until the two parts lock together. Not much maneuver room in my setup. The bottom of the TV sits on a foam strip attached to the cabinet floor just inside the fascia, but not visible from the front. I agree, didn't want the TV hanging from its screw mounts only while bouncing down the road.