Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

LCD vs LED

I need to replace both TV's in my 2003 Journey. Has anyone had any experience with LED vs LCD. It was suggested that I might should use LED since LCD could freeze during the winter. I live in TN. Any thoughts appreciated.
tnirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
LED TV's are LCD TV's with a LED backlight.
LED-backlit LCD television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dick
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnirish View Post
I need to replace both TV's in my 2003 Journey. Has anyone had any experience with LED vs LCD. It was suggested that I might should use LED since LCD could freeze during the winter. I live in TN. Any thoughts appreciated.
I live in Canada my samsung LED 32" will be in -30to-40F this winter --no problems-dont think its that cool in TN
Don
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

LED TV is the newest technology, still about 50% higher in cost.
LCD TVs will not freeze during the winter, check your source on that one.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

As Dick has said in his post above, they are exactly the same except the backlighting; and the led's are what make them more expensive....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Also, My LCD's have been in the MH in sub zero temps and they DO NOT freeze....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I think you'll find that the LED sets are thinner, about 1.25 inches.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm seriously considering an LED/LCD set to replace the one currently in my outdoor entertainment center. The big attraction for me is the smaller form factor... I can get a larger screen size into a given footprint than with an LCD set.

The research I've done on them is pretty positive and the comment about the price premium doesn't seem to apply to smaller sets. WalMart has had a 26" LED/LCD set on sale for about $250.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another informative link describing the types of back lighting in use on LCD monitors: LED TV Prices - 3D TV Prices - Compare Prices from UK Retailers

Another detail....the LED back light also results in lower power requirements, estimated to be 20-30%. This would be useful for those using batteries. Be sure to check the specifications because the efficiency of the power supply could blow the power savings.

As an example the LED 24" 1080p monitor I purchased uses 35 watts max, the non-LED version uses 55 watts max. Difference in price: $232 vs $205

Contrast this with an old fashioned 24" CRT; totally different aspect ratio, resolution, etc. They used in the area of 150 watts.

Tom's Hardware did a test on power consumption: Display Power Consumption: CRTs Versus TFT-LCDs : LCD Power Consumption Is In Your Hands!
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #10

LED and LCD is not the same thing.

LCD is Liquid Crystal Display it use liquid to reflect light.

LED is Light Emitting Diode. it is an electronic component the emits light.

Some LCD screens use LEDs to light the screen and then the LED light is reflected by the liquid
Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
All led tv s are lcd. If it just says lcd, it uses florescent light to make the screen light up. If it says led, it uses led light to make the screen light up. There are two ways the led lights may light the screen. Some will light from the sides of the screen whuch allow them to be thinner and some will light from the back giving it a more even light over the screen. Led uses less energy and are lighter in weight than florescent lighting and do not fade over time. Both use liquid crystal diode to display the image on the screen, its just your choice, florescent or led to light the screen up. And then there is plasma which uses much more energy to do both, display the image and light up the screen. There are those who prefer plasma over lcd and vica versa, but in any case those are the differences
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote