Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
LED-LCD TV prices - why the disparity?

Why is Vizio so much cheaper? For those that have purchased the Vizio brand, are you happy with them?

I'm shopping for LED-LCD TV's to replace our CRT TV's. I like the LED-LCD's for the thin profile which will give me more options for placement than just above the dash. The Vizio brand carried by WM is so much less than the Samsung, Sony or LG brands I've priced at BB or hhgregg. And Vizio seems to have more 1080p sets than the others for the sizes I'm looking at.

I'm at a loss for why the Vizio brand is so much less. Granted, I haven't been able to compare them all side-by-side (no 1 store seems to carry all brands for me to do a visual comparison), but the Vizio ones appear to have the same picture quality as the other brands. On line reviews indicate Vizio sound is tinny, but if I'm listening through a surround sound system rather than the TV speakers, it shouldn't make a difference...or would it?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #2

To Buy Vizio... or NOT to Buy...

Lori,
I can, of course, speak only for the Vizio that I've only had just short of a year and even then only to MY perception not to the actual quality.

I bought a smaller unit (23", I think) for our RV. I bought it because we bought our 5th wheel 'slightly used' and with the TV missing. After using a small 14" CRT-TV for a year (talk about tinny sound) we finally upgraded to the Vizio.

I've been very happy with it. It's like going from a '49 Ford to a new Escalade! I also plug the sound into the RV's sound system.
This isn't particular to just the Vizio but I like being able to use it as a large
'computer screen' to put on a slide show of pics on the computer too. Our small travel 'notebook' computer plugs right into it.

This is the first new modern TV we'd purchased in over 20 years! Our TV at home is a 200lb 'clunker' of a CRT. Still works though and was 'state of the art at the time'. Wow, no wonder our g-kids think we're OLD!

Lori, we bought our Vizio at Sam's club which also carried LG and some other brands. I didn't see that any other brand had a better picture with a side by side comparison. And the Vizio was almost $100 less. We'll see if it lasts 20+ years like our house TV. LOL

My recommendation would be to try it. I say that like it's your money, not my own.
Good Luck with your decision.
Larry K. (michigancamper)
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have any experience with Vizio but I thought I would pass this info along. We just purchased a Samsung 58" plasma for the S&B online from Vann's. They beat the best price I could find in a box store by over $300. I purchased it on line Sunday night, they shipped (free) via Fedex Monday and I received it Wednesday. I couldn't have gotten it that quick if I had bought it locally. BTW, the $300 didn't include the 8.25% sales tax savings either.

Happy shopping.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #4

Lori,We had to replace an older TV in our stix & bricks. We researched and evaluated many brands. We were looking at 55" and larger. We narrowed our final evaluation to a Sony Bravia and a Vizio. We decided on the Vizio XVT3D554SV, not for the price but for the picture. The Sony was very nice but the Vizio was much nicer, in our opinions. Our Vizio is a full array LED, not a side LED. It is also has 3D, a refresh rate of 480Hz and has a wifi connection so that we can view movies from Netfliz, Amazon, etc.For our motorhome we installed a JVC in the bedroom. I will be replacing the TV in the lounge with a 32" Vizio that has a 120Hz refresh rate. There are several models to choose from.Godd luck and enjoy
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #5

I have a 42" Vizeo in the house and 2 in the MH and like them a lot. Was told that the one's WM sells are made special for them and maybe a little cheaper made. I got one of them from WM for the MH and have had no problems. Have had all 3 for at least 2 years..
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #6

Sorry, That should be Vizio in my last post...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Was told that the one's WM sells are made special for them and maybe a little cheaper made.
I believe that to be true from my experience.

In order to keep prices low, WM has special models with fewer features.

However, the TV has to look good and have features suitable only to you.

I've bought 3 LCD's from Amazon.com. Best price I could find.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We have three Vizios one in the RV and two at home and like them.

To compare go here.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced the CRT TV in my MH with a Vizio 32" LED/LCD. The LEDs are one of the saving graces electronics manufacturers are using to meet the new Energy Star requirements. LEDS take a whole lot less electricity and on the plus side the look good too. I bought Vizio because I was after "cheap". I didn't want to invest $1000 in a good HDTV to have it break because of the vibrations in a motorhome. So far, I am VERY pleased with the set. We've traveled almost 3000 miles with it installed. Works GREAT!
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The components in these TV's are all just about the same. Yeah you might get a little higher resolution on some but can you really tell the difference? The biggest aspect is to have at least 1080P and a higher hertz rating to eliminate the distortion when watching sports or very action packed movies. I have both a Vizio and an Element TV both purchased at WM and don't have any problem with either. I can't see any difference in either picture for that matter. My biggest complaint and it has nothing to do with the tv is when watching a DVD how much the actual scene is shrunk on the screen. Don't get that at all. Why do you buy a big screen tv only to have at least 25% of the picture removed for wide screen viewing? Come on now we're not at the movie theater where the screen is 10' x 20' or what ever they are.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We purchased Best Buy's generic brand of TV (Dynex) for $299 for a 32" to replace our old CRT in the stix-&-mortor location 15 months ago. For the price, couldn't beat it. Swapped out the one in the trailer 2 seasons ago with a Samsung. Whatever you go with, take a look at where the cables connections are. When my parents mounted their's on the living room wall, it is very hard to plug in any accessory cables once it is mounted to the wall. They also swapped out the one in their MH. My father did a lot of woodworking in order to get the largest sized one to fit and make it look like it was a factory installed unit.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing to be considered....

If your coach has a surround sound system you (Winnebago's do) you might consider a LED/LCD that has the bannana jack audio output. If the TV does not have them (it is my understanding) that you will not be able to connect to the coaches surround sound system and will need to rely on the TV's speaker system. If that is the case then how you mount it may make a difference if sound quality.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the vizio brand is considered a "second tier" brand. they have made their name by selling very good tvs with a lot of features for very low prices. nothing wrong with them at all. we have 4 at home (47, 2x 37, 22). we just bought a 32 for the rv.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #14

I just saw a Vizio 42" at Costco for $249.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote