Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

LED television on DC power w/ inverter

I have been shopping around for a 32" tv that runs on AC/DC power so I can use it for dry camping with our pair of 6v golf cart batteries in our trailer. Boy are they expensive.
A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a Westinghouse 32" LED TV at Costco and it was advertised to only use less than the amount of electricity to power a 60 watt light bulb. I guess the new light emitting diode technology in televisions is super efficient. This got me thinking...

Can I use small inverter, wired into my DC system, and power that LED TV? Would this be a good alternative to continuing saving up my pennies for an AC/DC TV?

These LED TVs are only $320 at Costco and I already have a small inverter that plugs into a 12 volt power point. This would be a lot less expensive option than spending BIG $$$ for an AC/DC TV set.

Thanks in advance for your help, Tim
TnTTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Just check to see that you dont need a pure sine invertor. Alot of the new electronics reguire the pure sine vs the less expensive modified sine. Yes the led lcd tv is alot more effecient.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

I have a 32" Samsung LED / LCD in my motorhome and it works great on my modified sine wave inverter. I'm watching it now while boondocking. And I think it uses only about 60 watts. Great picture, 1.2" thick and weighs 18 pounds.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Sharp LCD and a Samsung LCD in the MH and both work fine on the modified sine wave inverter.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTTravelers View Post
I already have a small inverter that plugs into a 12 volt power point.

In my experience, the thin wiring that supplied the cigarette lighter (12 volt power point), was a weak link . . . go with a heavier (700 w - 1200w) inverter wired direct to the battery bank with short, heavy gauge wires and you won't regret it.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at the TV and see if it has an AC to DC converter in the electric supply cord. A lot tof these run on 12V DC in this fashion. Wiring it directly to your 12V supply would eliminate the inefficient inverter.
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Thank you for all of your input! I was a bit hesitant to do this, since I haven't heard of anyone else using LED on 12v, but now feel enlightened. Great info, I'll check it all out. At least now I know what questions to ask when shopping for our new TV.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #8

Update,
I called Westinghouse and spoke with customer service. While on the phone, the agent was checking back and forth with tech support. They said that there is no reason that an inverter wouldn't be just fine. They didn't seem to think there would be a problem with sine wave issues etc.

We also determined that the TV I was considering, the 32"LED 720P HDTV from Costco, has a power converter in the power cord. All I would have to do is remove the power cord and hard wire the power supply into my DC system. That way I could run the TV on the batteries and the RV charging system would keep the battery charged while on shore power.

Pretty much what I read on the replies here, but I thought I'd post the reiterating intel I gathered from the mfgr. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Happy Trails, T
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

LED/LCD flat panels will be the standard TV installed in RV's in a few years. They are that more efficient.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTTravelers View Post
Update,

We also determined that the TV I was considering, the 32"LED 720P HDTV from Costco, has a power converter in the power cord. All I would have to do is remove the power cord and hard wire the power supply into my DC system. That way I could run the TV on the batteries and the RV charging system would keep the battery charged while on shore power.

Happy Trails, T
Assumption: The power supply of the propose TV is 12 VDC.

Some things to consider.

One concern would be about the quality and stability of DC power in your MH versus what the power supply in the cord provides. Many electronic devices work better with a stable power supply, that is, one that has a very constant voltage.

Most power supplies have regulators in them so that over a AC voltage of 90 to 130 volts the DC output will be the same, maybe not 12 volts exactly, but close to it.

When your MH is plugged into shore power, the RV charging system will maintain a pretty consistent voltage, but will vary depending on whether the system is doing a bulk charge or a top off. But it won't be 12 volts, it more likely to be approx 13.2 volts or more.

When your MH is on batteries, the voltage could start near 13 volts and go down to around 10 volts.

Now the big question. What will the TV work with? Does it want the voltage that is listed on the power supply, or will it work with a few volts more or less?

The power supply also helps protect the TV from AC voltage spikes, what will protect the TV from DC voltage spikes?

Will the manufacturer honor the warranty on a TV where the power supply has be replaced or bypassed?

Don't mean to sound so negative, but there is a risk if the power supply is bypassed. You might get lucky.

You might ask the manufacturer if the TV can be run from a car battery.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #11

American Coach has all LED LCD screens in 2011.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote