RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Legacy Bomb

I'm pulling out all the legacy A/V equipment and replace with an interim system until figure out what I want and how it should operate. One obstacle to this is the placement of the existing components and thus the wiring throughout the coach. This is further complicated by the old Bomb pictured below. As you can see the connections to the two TV's are not current. I will remove the Bomb but I kinda stuck with what to do with these cable -- cut the ends off perhaps but how would I know what wire goes where? In addition there is a "Home Theater" switch under the dash which lashes the dash radio and the A/V system together and to the speakers. I wouldn't mind losing 5 pounds of extra cables by taking this out as well but I would need a way to connect the dash radio to the speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bomb.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	269190  

oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone dealt with connections such as these? If so, what did you do with them? If you changed them out, what with?

Old 12-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I was thrown off by the Title of your post. Just decided to look at it anyway.

There are a lot of details missing here, but I’ll toss out a few ideas for you to ponder.

1. Are you intending to keep the “component style” layout? This will change a lot of my answer.

2. Not knowing the entire system’s layout, or your coach, I can’t begin to understand what and where the current wiring is.

3. On modern coaches, such as the Dutch Star, Newmar has switched to running CAT6 cabling and using an HDMI BALUN at each device that converts the CAT6 to an HDMI connection. If this were me, before I yanked a single wire, I would STRONGLY encourage you to look into using as much as the existing wires/cables as possible. Trying to yank, or even use them as a “fish” wire, may end up in a mid-run disaster...if even possible.

4. If you’re not familiar with A/V config, hiring a professional may be worth every penny in avoiding frustration. The right installer, will be able quickly tell if any, or all, of the existing cabling can be repurposed with a simple connector swap-out, saving you time and money.

5. Or....you can ditch the whole “component” layout, and go to the more contemporary wireless speaker model using SmartTV, Bluetooth speakers (e.g. BOSE, Sonos, etc.). These aren’t trouble-free, but when you understand how they work, I think they’re a great option for an RV for a variety of reasons.

Hope this helps.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, Steve. Initially I was just planning a temporary solution to get things working. That included a somewhat updated Sony HTIB unit with Blu-Ray. But the unit had component connections and one HDMI output rather than composite with the old Sony unit (DVD player won't work). All the cabling is run to a cabinet over the dinette which is on a slide. TV is up front between the driver/co-pilot seats. This old "box of many buttons" was central to the system but those input connections from both TV's had me baffled. I'm guessing the plugs are composed of composite cables but I was unsure. Your advice to take it to someone who can determine what can be repurposed and what needs new cabling (read HDMI) is what I need to do. I tried a quick fix on the cheap and it simply didn't work out. I will contact Classic Coachworks and see what they suggest.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

We scraped the box of buttons and went with a new smart tv and sound bar.
TV has just two hard cable connections, one for OTA antenna/sat.
One hdmi cable directly to the blu ray DVD player.
We stream most everything via tablet or phone to tv.
Pretty sure I removed about 10lbs of cabling and magic switch boxes.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I'd like to help. I do a lot of work installing new systems including TVs, DVDs, surround sound systems, etc. All one-off jobs since very few people want the same thing.

But a lot more information (and photos) would be helpful......

Where are all the TVs now? (photos)
How old and what type are they?
Do you want to replace them?
Do you want a new cabinet over that dash where the old TV was (assuming it was a picture tube type TV but maybe replace by someone with a flat panel, digital TV) (photos)
What sound system did you have (5.1 surround sound or not)?
Are there speakers in the ceiling/cabinets/wherever for the surround system? (photos)
Can you get to the ends of the wires for all the speakers? (most likely in cabinet where old sound system was)
Where was the sound system (and associated speaker wires)? (front over head, cabinet over drivers seat, midship?)
Do you want one DVD for all TVs or is it OK to use a dedicated DVD play for each TV you want to play DVDs on? (assuming you want a DVD player)

That's a start. I suppose a question about budget would be in order.

I'm with the other poster who suggest maybe you need a professional; or at least someone who knows a lot about this stuff.

For starters, based on the one photo you shared, all your audio/video stuff is way outdated so I'd suggest cutting and removing as much cabling as you can. But someone who knows their stuff and can see what you have would be in a much better position to help.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you Traveldawg. I posted this in an earlier thread (and edited):

Sony DAV-C450 5.1 surround sound, DVD player, radio w/proprietary speaker connections to the receiver. Sony cube 3 ohm speakers mounted from the ceiling in front. Rears are above a galley cabinet with the other by the dinette. Unpowered sub in cabinet by dinette.
Sony VCR (going away)
Video Selector box (BOMB)
DirecTV small receiver (to be replaced with my home HR24 when we travel)
Wineguard Traveler
Some kind of OTA antenna and perhaps a crank up.
32" Samsung LED TV up front mounted to the old CRT cabinet -- swing out mount. Space below to relocate the equipment.
Visio LED TV in bedroom
Another switch box in the dash which connects the dash radio/cd player to a harness that goes to the home theater receiver.

AV cabling is composite and needs to be replaced. Speaker wires are Not what grade the coax is.

The sat receiver, DTV, VCR were loaded in a cabinet over dinette which is on a slide out.

I'll post some pictures. I want to replace the sound system and bring the cabling up to date. Separate DVD players would be fine. Independent TV's is also fine. New cabinet up front? Perhaps, not critical but if it works better then yes.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

If you are upgrading your AV system to something current, then that is HDMI.
HDMI can be communicated with:

HDMI certified cables (best solution under 50 feet if you can install it). Most reliable solution.

HDBaseT (Cat 6/7 cable that has smaller ends than HDMI ends with a Transmitter and a Receiver at each end - but is more expensive hardware)

Video over IP (sending video over a "computer" network over Cat 6/7 cable) - a bit more expensive than HDBaseT as it requires Transmitters and Receivers, a managed network switch for the data volume. But can also act as a Matrix switch (selecting an input and outputting to any combinations of TVs) and as a video wall controller (not relevant for an RV).

Wireless HDMI - easy install, more expensive than HDMI cables, inconsistent results, substandard video quality, poor reliability, hit or miss experience.

To replace the BOM then that implies you want to choose which source (ie: DirecTV receiver, bluray player, streaming video player, computer, etc) goes to which TVs (and which combination of TVs. That requires a matrix switch function for HDMI. These can be cheap for bad products or very expensive for good products. You get what you pay for.

All the TVs likely need replacement if they don't support HDMI. TVs are relatively inexpensive now-a-days. And look much better than they ever used to.

Well, that's a start.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
Thank you Traveldawg. I posted this in an earlier thread (and edited):

Sony DAV-C450 5.1 surround sound, DVD player, radio w/proprietary speaker connections to the receiver. Sony cube 3 ohm speakers mounted from the ceiling in front. Rears are above a galley cabinet with the other by the dinette. Unpowered sub in cabinet by dinette.
Sony VCR (going away)
Video Selector box (BOMB)
DirecTV small receiver (to be replaced with my home HR24 when we travel)
Wineguard Traveler
Some kind of OTA antenna and perhaps a crank up.
32" Samsung LED TV up front mounted to the old CRT cabinet -- swing out mount. Space below to relocate the equipment.
Visio LED TV in bedroom
Another switch box in the dash which connects the dash radio/cd player to a harness that goes to the home theater receiver.

AV cabling is composite and needs to be replaced. Speaker wires are Not what grade the coax is.

The sat receiver, DTV, VCR were loaded in a cabinet over dinette which is on a slide out.

I'll post some pictures. I want to replace the sound system and bring the cabling up to date. Separate DVD players would be fine. Independent TV's is also fine. New cabinet up front? Perhaps, not critical but if it works better then yes.
oldnavycdr, thanks for response. I only see the one photo of the bomb and didn't see the info about your components. Anyhow...

Let's start with the Sony surround sound system...
That receiver probably isn't going to be very useful except for maybe sound. But the issue with it is there is no input for a digital audio cable that modern systems use. And, if it is in the slide out cabinet you've got a huge job of either running an optical audio from the TV you want to go to a new receiver/amplifier there or run the speakers wires from the cabinet to wherever you put a new receiver/amp (behind the front TV maybe?).

Alternatives may be a surround bar mounted up front where the overhead TV is and a wireless sub (maybe in the place the current sub is). In this case you would abandon all existing speakers and wiring.

For DVD, Roku, Firstick, DirecT, Dish - whatever you want playing through the MAIN TV up front....
Just plug each of these devices into the TV directly. You did get a TV with lots of HDMI, right? If not get an HDMI switch; maybe one with 4 inputs and one output; then you can select which device you want to feed the TV. (You can do this for any of your TVs). Then connect the TV optical output to the input of whatever receiver/amp/surround sound system you get. That way all the switching to the sound system is through the TV. All these devices can be put behind the TV up front in the space where the old TV was.

As for whatever it is in your dash for the radio/CD there. I'm not sure what to make of it. I would have guessed there were separate speakers for that radio and not require a sound sound system (the Sony you have now) to hear what plays from the radio.

That should give you some stuff to think about. And it leaves just a few questions to answer....
where is the Sony system now?
are there separate speakers for the dash radio?
Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Traveldawg, here are some pics of the current layout -- front TV, Samsung UN32E400 series (2 or 3 hdmi inputs + component or composite). OTA antenna & OTA/cable amp. Speakers. AV cabinet, and a River Park home theater distribution box located in the dash. This is supposed to connect the dash radio/gps, Pioneer 5000NEX to the home theater system utilizing its speakers and/or plays directly to them. Not shown is the Wineguard Traveler amp which is in a cabinet above and behind the driver seat. As you can see, I pulled the Sony system from the A/V cabinet. Our needs are fairly simple -- basic 5.1, functional dash radio, DVD and options for OTA, sat, or park cable. That front wood "grill" below the TV is removable.

Sorry some pics were rotated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AV1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	269912   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	269913  

Name:	AV3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	269914   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	269915  

Name:	AV5.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	269918   Click image for larger version

Name:	AV6.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	269919  

Name:	AV7.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	269920  
Old 12-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought a Sony HTIB, BDV-T-10 as temporary solution to have a functioning receiver & DVD player with the existing speakers. Sony uses these proprietary speaker plugs so I thought this would be plug & play. Of course not! Sony changed the plugs but I can splice the old to the new...no big deal. What couldn't or at least didn't work was routing things through the legacy BOMB (original question in this post). Those TV input plugs to the BOMB are likely the composite (Red, White, Yellow) cables but I wasn't sure if I could restore them to RCA plugs to get the system to function from the A/V cabinet location. Thus the original question.

Plan B is to put the new Sony receiver/DVD up front under the TV, and use its hdmi output to the TV and set up the speakers (not much better than the original cubes) temporarily when camping. Downside of that is no speakers for the dash radio when driving.

Plan C is to install a new AVR, speakers, run hdmi, do it up front, and somehow lash in the Pioneer to the speakers or install some.

All this reminds me of the failure of the B-1 bomber. The Air Force decided they would totally integrate the systems themselves. Woops.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
So all that River Park system does is switch the speakers between the radio and the Sony AV system. Given that you can always just use the dash switch to listen to the radio. When you wire in a new system (like you did) to the speakers they just go to the River Park system before getting routed to the speakers via the dash switch.

Here is a link that may help explain this.....
https://riverparkinc.com/wp-content/...CHXOV-01WD.png

Where is the Sony AV system located?
Old 12-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Which Sony system? The old one is sitting in my garage soon to be on its way to be recycled. The “new” one is currently sitting on the couch in the coach.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
Which Sony system? The old one is sitting in my garage soon to be on its way to be recycled. The “new” one is currently sitting on the couch in the coach.
I should have asked where the speaker wires connected to the original Sony system. In the cabinet over the dinette or someplace else. (?)