Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
You won't be able to repurpose the antenna cable as it the wrong type needed. Most of the systems you'd want to put on the roof use a cat 5 or higher UV resistant cable and it normally comes with the equipment.
What I was hoping was to not have to put a cat 5 or 6 device up on the roof, but use an antenna more like this:

Orphan High-Gain 8dBi 2.4GHz Outdoor WiFi Antenna > Antennas > WiFi Antennas | C. Crane

And then attach it to the router using the coax, like this antenna has listed as one of the options. Even if I had to fabricate my own connectors, etc.

I've seen many antennas in the past that use coax as the connection to the TV receivers. I am/was hoping that maybe I'd have (appropriate) coax up there that would work for something like this.

RCCFleetwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCFleetwood View Post
What I was hoping was to not have to put a cat 5 or 6 device up on the roof, but use an antenna more like this:

Orphan High-Gain 8dBi 2.4GHz Outdoor WiFi Antenna > Antennas > WiFi Antennas | C. Crane

And then attach it to the router using the coax, like this antenna has listed as one of the options. Even if I had to fabricate my own connectors, etc.

I've seen many antennas in the past that use coax as the connection to the TV receivers. I am/was hoping that maybe I'd have (appropriate) coax up there that would work for something like this.
The advantage of using one of the weatherproof integrated (antenna and WAP) units is that at 2.4 or 5.8 GHz WiFi frequencies transmission line loss from the antenna to an indoor WAP can be very high, easily enough to negate the gain of an outside antenna. With the integrated units there is no RF signal loss, and CAT5 cable can (practically) be run as far as you like without degradation, and with PoE (power over ethernet) there is only one cable to run.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #31

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The advantage of using one of the weatherproof integrated (antenna and WAP) units is that at 2.4 or 5.8 GHz WiFi frequencies transmission line loss from the antenna to an indoor WAP can be very high, easily enough to negate the gain of an outside antenna. With the integrated units there is no RF signal loss, and CAT5 cable can (practically) be run as far as you like without degradation.
Yes, I've installed several of them, Engenius specifically outdoors, and love them. Most recently, installed their EnStation point to point kit, and it's worked flawlessly for almost a year.

My antenna run to TV closet is only about 10 feet, so cat 5 run would be no problem. I'm not an antenna expert at all, and was hoping to avoid running that wire if possible.
RCCFleetwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Wifi Ranger and similar devices has destroyed the campground wifi signal at many campgrounds I have stayed at. They are not very "smart" about choosing their WiFi channels and transmit right over the top of the campground wifi channel in many cases.
This is simply not true. The WiFiRanger outdoor unit is a STATION to the AP at the park, and the internal router picks the best channel to avoid that parks channel. If it is an AC or 5.8Ghz version, it will use those as well. The outdoor unit also does bit rate power adjustment to lower power on the unit to the best power for throughput, as opposed to signal strength. This all happens automatically.

Over all there is a lot going on with the WiFiRangers radios to improve the quality of the signal, not deter it. They do not use WDS (can't, needs MAC address handshakes) so they do not increase layer 2 traffic, and with auto leveling of power, they are quite nice to the available spectrum. Keep in mind, that if the WiFiRangers were not there, an additional X devices would potentially be on the parks APs, cluttering up the processor with more users, so there are benefits to having routers in coaches.

Of course, this is all IMHO
Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
I ordered the Metal 52 ac (RBMetalG-52SHPacn-US: mikrotik & amazon) and Routerboard hAP ac (RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US: mikrotik & amazon) as these seem to be the newest versions. (If anyone has the new WiFiRanger AC and wants to verify whether these are the units feel free )

They arrived today and I was able to set them up in my S&B for testing. I'm not that familiar with RouterOS, I can't seem to get the router to recognize a hotspot connected via USB. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO Continen View Post
I ordered the Metal 52 ac (RBMetalG-52SHPacn-US: mikrotik & amazon) and Routerboard hAP ac (RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US: mikrotik & amazon) as these seem to be the newest versions. (If anyone has the new WiFiRanger AC and wants to verify whether these are the units feel free )

They arrived today and I was able to set them up in my S&B for testing. I'm not that familiar with RouterOS, I can't seem to get the router to recognize a hotspot connected via USB. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I was going to order the new 2.4 and 5GHz version today. I already have the 802.11ac unit in my coach. Let me get this in, transfer my settings and then post a configuration file for you.

For the USB as WAN, plug your MiFi or phone into the USB port on the RB962 and it should recognize the connection. If not, the device may not be compatible for this purpose. I have been able to successfully use a Vzw, Sprint and T-Mobile MiFi device without major issues. One problem was that the TM MiFi was using the IP range of 192.168.1.0/24 which was conflicting with my private range within the RV.

Another issue was that when trying to use WiFi as WAN, the T-Mobile hotspot was unable to use AES so I had to tell the RB to use TKIP instead.

Give me until next week and I will post again.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Where does the new Winegard Connect system fin into all of this?? Looks like a good plug and play option for us who only know enough about computers to get us in deep doo doo....

Winegard Connect - RV Internet WiFi Extender
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Where does the new Winegard Connect system fin into all of this?? Looks like a good plug and play option for us who only know enough about computers to get us in deep doo doo....

It seems a bit overkill for campground WiFi. It is talking about be able to receive/transmit MIMO. That is a fancy word for "faster".

A quick lesson in WiFi and speeds. This lists the frequency/technology and the maximum speeds (half duplex) that can be attained.

802.11b - 11Mbps
802.11g - 54Mbps
802.11a - 54Mbps
802.11n (works on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) - up to 600Mbps but not common
802.11ac (works on 802.11a and has many different flavors) - up to 900Mbps with 3x3 MIMO

Without getting down in the weeds, when connecting to campground WiFi or even free public WiFi (i.e. Starbucks, Wendy's, Walmart, etc.) you are rarely if ever going to be able to attain more than 50Mbps. Therefore, having more than a single stream 802.11agn wireless bridge (WiFiRanger, Winegard, Ubiquiti, etc) will be a waste of money in most situations.

Of course, this may change in the future, but I don't see this trend changing on a wholesale level earlier than 2020.

My $.02 worth and, of course, your mileage may vary.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #37

Quote:

Looks very expensive for what you get. You can walk into any Fry's Electronics (or via Amazon of course) and buy an EnGenius ENS202EXT outdoor unit and any indoor dual-band WAP of your choice and spend around $150, and have exactly the same performance.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Looks very expensive for what you get. You can walk into any Fry's Electronics (or via Amazon of course) and buy an EnGenius ENS202EXT outdoor unit and any indoor dual-band WAP of your choice and spend around $150, and have exactly the same performance.
Some people are willing to pay for plug and play convenience. Some of us aren't. Same as with the automatic Rayzar antenna versus the much cheaper batwing.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #39

Quote:

The ConnecT firmware is very limited. Does not do USB tethering, or anything else much. Basically a bridge device, with an internal router. It' won't even save a WPA key for future use if you re-visit the same AP, so if the AP kicks you at night, you have to put the key in again in the morning. Babysitting my WiFi is not my preference.

Like mentioned, Triple chain in the park environment is not much use either. Dual chain is more common now, but triple is a waste of an antenna.

A $100 less WiFiRanger SkyPro Pack has a lot more capability and power (1000mw vs ConnecT 200mw) I have one of those on my Avion trailer, and it works well for what I ask of it.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:29 AM   #40

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Basically the same hardware that WiFi Ranger uses along with their custom firmware. For those that understand setting up routers it's a lot less expensive solution.

About the only thing I'd change is to use the versions that support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
As many of you know, I'm someone who works for WiFiRanger, so I'm limited in what I can say lest this post be treated as commercial. But you've actually made a great case for buying a Ranger, in that most RVers don't know much about setting up routers and linking together hardware of different types from different companies. Not everyone has an interest in learning how to do this, either.

WiFiRanger products are designed to be "plug and play" and the firmware user interface is as "clean" and easy as we can make it. There's even a setting by which you can turn off advanced features you don't need so that you aren't confused by stuff that's not relevant to you.

As for operating on both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands, our new line of "AC" products do just that.

I'm not trying to say that you don't pay a bit more to buy a WiFiRanger product, but sometimes you just do get what you pay for.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #41

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum03 View Post
The ConnecT firmware is very limited. ......... It' won't even save a WPA key for future use if you re-visit the same AP, so if the AP kicks you at night, you have to put the key in again in the morning.
This is exactly the sort of "user unfriendly" approach that WiFiRanger has sought to avoid. My Ranger saves all the WPA keys that I enter into it. At the moment that includes the keys for both our phone hotspots and the park wifi. It automatically switches between these three in the prioritized order I have given it--no human intervention required.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #42

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Without getting down in the weeds, when connecting to campground WiFi or even free public WiFi (i.e. Starbucks, Wendy's, Walmart, etc.) you are rarely if ever going to be able to attain more than 50Mbps. Therefore, having more than a single stream 802.11agn wireless bridge (WiFiRanger, Winegard, Ubiquiti, etc) will be a waste of money in most situations.
Why assume that the only thing you will ever connect to is wifi at <50Mbps? Maybe that's where most park wifi is capable of, but I use my Ranger to connect to my phone's hotspot which, at my current location, routinely gives me speeds >60Mbps. With the new high-capability WiFiRanger "AC" product line I can pass ~90% of that speed to my network. We've even done 4K video streaming through the Ranger.

Remember the speeds of the future are going to be faster, not slower. Buying hardware that isn't capable of even today's full speeds seems like a short-sighted investment IMO.