Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #43

I will add something as far as 802.11ac. Most of the radio chips for APs are made by one or two companies (Qualcomm or Broadcom) When both companies moved to 802.11ac production they greatly improved the rf portion of their chips. Lots more hardware filtering and other things to clean up the signal before even the "on board computers" even get involved. This really helps in noisy and crowed environments. Since they are backward compatible with .abgn (so long as your product supports the frequency) you will likely have a much better experience than with the older devices even when you are only connecting to a .abgn radio on the other side.

The price really has come down on the .ac stuff (mikrotik, still waiting on ubiquity .ac without needing a controller) . you have to remember that this is all about the RF space so getting the cleanest signal is best

Almost anyone can go out and buy the parts needed. But the integrator (like wifi ranger folks - thought I know almost nothing about their product) provide a huge amount of value in making it user-friendly and guaranteed to work. I would hate to try and get my wife set up a mikrotik environment since I would be wearing it around my neck before she was done.

I don't sell any wifi gear. I just manage a huge amount of it from vendors that are not normally in this space

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As many of you know, I'm someone who works for WiFiRanger, so I'm limited in what I can say lest this post be treated as commercial. But you've actually made a great case for buying a Ranger, in that most RVers don't know much about setting up routers and linking together hardware of different types from different companies. Not everyone has an interest in learning how to do this, either.

WiFiRanger products are designed to be "plug and play" and the firmware user interface is as "clean" and easy as we can make it. There's even a setting by which you can turn off advanced features you don't need so that you aren't confused by stuff that's not relevant to you.

As for operating on both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands, our new line of "AC" products do just that.

I'm not trying to say that you don't pay a bit more to buy a WiFiRanger product, but sometimes you just do get what you pay for.

Joel (AKA docj)
For me the one thing I want the ability to do is run a VPN connection to a cloud server I'll have at home. I'll also need to be able to route what traffics goes through the VPN, what goes direct and what goes through cell data or camp WiFi.

If looking at this like a business I think of my home as headquarters and my mobile phone and the RV as satellite offices. This allows me to have secure data available on any device whenever I have a connection.

All of this normally takes good routers so I'm not sure the WiFi ranger can handle it.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #45

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
For me the one thing I want the ability to do is run a VPN connection to a cloud server I'll have at home. I'll also need to be able to route what traffics goes through the VPN, what goes direct and what goes through cell data or camp WiFi.
If you want different traffic to automatically take different routes to the internet (VPN, cellular, wifi, etc) then the WiFiRanger may not be your best choice. The Ranger provides lots of "advanced" capabilities but it is not a replacement for specialized business equipment. It sounds as if the system you envision will need a router with WiFi As WAN capability; a Ranger probably can handle that role for you in conjunction with other hardware to handle your other requirements.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got the Mikrotik Metal 52shpacn in today and have started putting it through its tests. I connected it to my Enterprise grade access points on 802.11ac on the 5GHz band and then wired directly to my Macbook Air on a gigabit port. My Internet feed is capable of up to 300Mbps DL and 30Mbps UL. Here is my first test without tweaking the Mikrotik at all.

Not too shabby. I am running 80MHz channels and my access points are 3x2 capable. I am merely lying the MT on my desk in a horizontal fashion.

I will post some more once I get some time to tweak the settings and try some different things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MikrotikSpeedtest.png
Views:	60
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	148479  
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #47

Cradlepoint has many business class routers with cellular and WAN feeds.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Is there a setting on the Metal 52 to connect to networks that ask for a username and password? All I'm seeing is one field to enter a key. It's not an open network that has a splash page.

Example is Time Warner Cable/Spectrum's TWC-Passpoint wifi: https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/s...passpoint.html
Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This function is standard in the WiFiRanger software. A must if you are connecting to AT&T, Comcast, and Time Warner. Many campgrounds that I have been at use a commercial service that requires user and password.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO Continen View Post
Is there a setting on the Metal 52 to connect to networks that ask for a username and password? All I'm seeing is one field to enter a key. It's not an open network that has a splash page.

Example is Time Warner Cable/Spectrum's TWC-Passpoint wifi: https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/s...passpoint.html
Yes, as long as the 52SHPacN is in router mode (indicated on Quick Setup page), connect a client behind it, access a web page, you will be redirected to the login page for the captive portal service, login as would normally, and voila! Any device behind the 52SHPacN will be granted access to the network.

Keep in mind that this will be a shared service and you should be respectful of how much bandwidth and how many clients you connect to the network.

Campgrounds have to understand, and some of them do, that using consumer grade components for distributing network connectivity is a good experience for the customer. Even though they may have ample bandwidth to the campground, unfettered access will benefit a few at a time and penalize others.

Campgrounds that employ equipment that can provide bandwidth contracts is a better user experience for everyone concerned.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Yes, as long as the 52SHPacN is in router mode (indicated on Quick Setup page), connect a client behind it, access a web page, you will be redirected to the login page for the captive portal service, login as would normally, and voila! Any device behind the 52SHPacN will be granted access to the network.
I am not able to connect to it with the 52SHPacN. Instead of a single field passcode it asks for a username and password (on phones/computers). The 52SHPacN only shows a field to enter the network key/passcode. I'm in router mode but perhaps I have another setting set incorrectly. I also updated to the current firmware and no change.

It's not a huge deal. There just happens to be a TWC subscriber-only wifi across the street from my S&B that I was trying to connect to to test range. I am a subscriber so once I get it sorted I can use TWC wifi locations on the road too but it's all still on my desk at the moment.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 AM   #52

52SHPacN MikroTik router wifi access RV park

I have a 52SHPacN set in router mode (indicated on Quick Setup page), and can log into wifi with a password, but on wifi access sites with a login page where you accept term and agree to log in, How do you get to the login page of the rv parks wifi through this router? (Redirect to a captive portal servis)?