Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Limiting over the air TV channels

We don't have satellite so rely on over the air TV signals which most often is easy to deal with. We arrived in West Covina, CA and ran the channel scan and come up with 157 channels which sounds kind of good but many maybe most are in a language other than English. Does anyone know if there is a device or something that would filter out non English stations?
This is not limited to this area but seems to happen in many large population areas.

If I were going to be here for a good period of time I could program the TV to ignore certain channels but we are only going to be around here a couple of days. In places with fewer channels it's not difficult to remember the channels we want to watch.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you find one i want one to. Be nice not to have to go thru a 100 channels to watch 20 keep us posted
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #3

I agree and wish you could have your tvs just find all channels ITSELF without having to rescan every tv in your coach(we have 5!) every new place you go. Also, two of our tvs(why Thor does not install the SAME brand thruout the coach doesnt make sense to me) do not allow for a '-' input as needed when changing to most OTR HD channels. So you are relugated to only UP and DOWN the channel list, which can be very TIME CONSUMING when you would rather just 'go back' to a preferred channel!
I also wish(if I may add) that you would not have to change INPUT to go from OTR to SAT(HDMI1), or another input, etc. Why not design a remote that allows this to be another 'button' on the remote? Makes sense, but apparently the designers put everything else on a remote, EXCEPT this!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #4
paz

Our Vizio TV has a menu item under tuner setup called "Skip Channel" that lets me eliminate channels after running auto scan. The Panasonic TV in our previous coach didn't have this feature, so we were stuck with everything.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only Device I know that will filter the non-english is the mark-1 Human Brain.

you go through the channels 1 by 1,,, Note which are wanted and which are not..Then on SOME TV's you can return to channel settings and DELETE the channels you do not want.

Issue: Some will restore them overnight Some may not have that option.

My "Rube Goldburg" system gives me more power.. but only if using the DVRs.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Search the net or check the local TV listing for TV channels available in your area. Then manually program the channels you what to watch.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will make the net search easier

Go to Zap2it - TV Listings, TV Show Guide, Entertainment News, TV Ratings

Click on TV listings
Change location
(enter area code)
Antenna should be the last choice on that list

And your local grid should load.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

I have an app on my smart phone called TV Listings. When we get to a new location, I set it up for the zip code and the select the tv provider, the cable provider or OTA, it then lists all the channels and the programming. That way I can look at the listing and then tune directly to the channel I want to watch.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Click on TV listings
Change location
(enter area code)

Thank you, three times over! 👍

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Click on TV listings
Change location
(enter area code)

Thank you. That should help.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I have an app on my smart phone called TV Listings. When we get to a new location, I set it up for the zip code and the select the tv provider, the cable provider or OTA, it then lists all the channels and the programming. That way I can look at the listing and then tune directly to the channel I want to watch.
I'm even more "old school", and use an app on my iPhone and iPads called "TV Guide"!

Yes, the old-time little weekly TVGuide magazine that everyone used to have at home for decades, now has an app that can easily scan and conveniently list all available over the air antenna channels wherever you happen to be. It also works for cable and sat.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote