Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #15

Thanks for the link to the "Dish Locals" TechWriter.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
You call Dish and ask them to download the locals for your current address and you will receive the local channels for the area you're in. Easy-peasy!
Hi. Does that mean you don't need the OTA antenna and the OTA Tuner to get local channels?
Thanks!
adamsrm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Does that mean you don't need the OTA antenna and the OTA Tuner to get local channels?
Short answer is YES,

In my case, we have Dish Network at the "sticks and bricks home" back in Kentucky with locals all included in a package. I added another receiver and a portable dish (Winegard Pathway X2) to my account for less than $7 per month. As we head out across this beautiful country in our RV I set the portable dish up, plug in the cord and it dances around for a while locking onto satellites. When it is satisfied, it lets us know it is finished and most of the time we will have all the channels we have at home. Now if we travel 200+- miles from home we may loose locals CBS, ABC, NBC and a bunch more. When that happens I log into Dish Network, ask for a chat with an "expert". When they respond I just copy and paste a set of instructions to he/she that i have saved in my computer. For example:

"Good evening
I am contacting you to request a change of my SERVICE ADDRESS for LOCAL channels to 595 Colorado 340, Fruita, CO 81521
Thanks Peter"

They always ask a few questions and within 10 minutes or less I have local channels for the area we are in just as I do at home. the channel numbers are a little different. The address shown above is an address of the campground or something close by. In the above case it is the address for the State Park Headquarters.

Now I left out a few detailed steps, if you want those just ask. I'll be happy to include them.

Currently we are just about 200 miles away from our last Dish Network location so I suspect the next time we move I will have to Chat with Dish Network again, and change out service address.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #18

We've been lucky this summer here in Maine. Even though we've been as far as over 700 miles from home we're still getting our local stations from Wash. D.C. The spot beam must be strangely shaped with a lobe that comes this far north.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #19

Thanks for that info! Actually my wife and I are full-timers and don't have a permanent resident, just a SD mailing address, so I guess your scenario wouldn't work with our situation. Take care!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #20

to adamsrm50 ,

We stay on the road for most of the year, and we echo several of the others here. We got the DISH service for our RV with the tailgater and the VIP211z receiver. It works really well. The cable channels are no problem at all, and the "local" channels simply require calling Dish to tell them our new location.

We have cable service in Florida, but put it on hold when we leave, and do the opposite with Dish; when we get back, we switch services. No problem. Our locals here include stations near the Tampa Bay area. Our locals (NBC,CBS,FOX,ABC) wherever we are on the road, give us the usual offerings. We also get updates on high school football, who shot whom, who is running for election, or whatever in the local area. We don't care about that, but we do watch things like Big Bang Theory, Mom, Castle, etc.

It took us a little while to get it all sorted out, but now it all works seamlessly.

Again, the definition of "local" may be different from what it seems. We do not try to keep up with Tampa's news, we just tune to the major channels that we want.

Clear as mud. right???????

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrm50 View Post
Thanks for that info! Actually my wife and I are full-timers and don't have a permanent resident, just a SD mailing address, so I guess your scenario wouldn't work with our situation. Take care!
Sure ... it will work. You just need to think of it more like "billing address" and "delivery address". They can be different. Dish just sends the bill to SD and the local programming to your RV address (via the satellite spot beam). The local programming will be "local" relative to where the RV is parked.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We've been lucky this summer here in Maine. Even though we've been as far as over 700 miles from home we're still getting our local stations from Wash. D.C. The spot beam must be strangely shaped with a lobe that comes this far north.
It looks like 110W Transponder 25, Spotbeam 5 (which carries SD locals for Wash, DC) has a pretty huge footprint. Maine is outside of the primary coverage area but doable with a clear path and a full-size dish. Out of curiosity what antenna do you use?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
It looks like 110W Transponder 25, Spotbeam 5 (which carries SD locals for Wash, DC) has a pretty huge footprint. Maine is outside of the primary coverage area but doable with a clear path and a full-size dish. Out of curiosity what antenna do you use?

We have Direct Tv, and have an old Winegard dome system that still works fine. Not HD, but it works for us.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #24

I like the sound of that. When I contact DISH I'll see if that'll fly. Be cool if it does...thanks again!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
I check this map SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - dishnetworkmarkets
and check where I am and if the locals will reach where I'm going. then chat with Dish and tell them where I want my locals to be. sometimes I use a campground a ways away to get locals where we're going so i don't have to change again so soon. YMMV
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomforde View Post
I check this map SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - dishnetworkmarkets
and check where I am and if the locals will reach where I'm going. then chat with Dish and tell them where I want my locals to be. sometimes I use a campground a ways away to get locals where we're going so i don't have to change again so soon. YMMV
Yes, some spot beams are large and regional so you can use that map to be strategic and pick a local coverage zone that is central to the places you want to visit. That can eliminate the need to change them from place-to-place.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote