Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
Local channels.

Dish,local channels while traveling. Do you get local channels no matter where you are in the country. When I had Direct TV,I only had my local channels for a certain distance from home. When out of range of local channels I received ABC,CBS,NBC and Fox from New York and California. When traveling with Dish,what channels are for ABC,CBS,NBC and Fox.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

With my direct I lose locals about 90 miles from home.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Locals Channels

I just changed from Direct TV to Dish and want to know what happens with local channels when traveling with Dish.

36' Diesel
Old 09-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You call Dish and ask them to download the locals for your current address and you will receive the local channels for the area you're in. Easy-peasy!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyjoe View Post
Dish,local channels while traveling. Do you get local channels no matter where you are in the country. When I had Direct TV,I only had my local channels for a certain distance from home. When out of range of local channels I received ABC,CBS,NBC and Fox from New York and California. When traveling with Dish,what channels are for ABC,CBS,NBC and Fox.
DISH is the same as DirecTV. You can only receive your local channels within their focused broadcast area. With both DISH and DirecTV you have to have a special waiver and pay extra to receive broadcast channels outside your area. You can do as one post suggested to call them and change your location, but I wouldn't suggest doing that if you are on the move, only if you are staying in one spot for months.

It's much easier to just use the on-air antenna to receive the local broadcast channels if the park doesn't have cable.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
I was just wanting to know how do I get the major networks while traveling. On the guide Dish does not show what channels are ABC,NBC,CBS other then when I'm home. With Direct TV,no matter where you were you can go to network channels and get New York or California.

36' Diesel
Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #7

Normally, Major Networks are only on Local Channels and are delivered via "spot beam" to the general area near your "installed address" ... the "installed address" may be different from your "billing address". If you move the RV too far from the "installed address" you will NOT receive local channels via Dish satellite. There are 2 solutions:

1) use your rooftop OTA antenna for local channels or;

2) call Dish Network and ask them to change the "installed address" (not the billing address!) to the zipcode of your present location. You will then receive local channels in your current location. You will need to repeat this process whenever you relocate ... including returning to your home area.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
If I understand what I have been told,you can't get ABC,CBS and NBC while traveling with Dish TV from the satellites.
With Direct TV I could always get ABC on 396 and so on.

36' Diesel
Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
If I understand what I have been told,you can't get ABC,CBS and NBC while traveling with Dish TV from the satellites.
Try reading this:

Get DISH Network for your RV and start enjoying Satellite TV.

half way down the page ...

"Can I get distant locals while I travel?
No. DISH Network used to offer a distant locals package (sometimes called DNS) for qualified customers using a recreational vehicle (RV). DISH has decided to drop this service. The distant locals service used to offer programming from California and/or New York and covered the major networks: ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and the national PBS station. Our recommendation now to receive local channel while traveling is to outfit your TV or qualified DISH receiver with an over the air (OTA) antenna to receive the distant locals. "
Old 09-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Incorrect ... you can ... but you need to make a phone call.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Thank you,I have a roof antenna for locals when I'm in an area that it will work. Where I live in the mountains it won't get any. I'm in a dead spot. Radio won't work either. That's why I have XM radio. We paid for locals and get them via satellite. I didn't know I was losing New York and California any time network channels. Except for that,Dish seems to be better. I have had Direct TV for 15 years.

36' Diesel
Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #12

We use Dish Network and I just open up a chat line with Dish and request a change of SERVICE AREA. Presto, I get locals ABC NBC CBS for what ever area we are in. Currently we are seeing Grand Junction, CO locals. Before that we saw Billings MT locals, before that it was Lexington, KY locals.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #13

Yes, Virginia, You Can Get Local TV with DISH

Quote:
When you had DirecTV and received New York & California network TV stations (ABC, CBS, etc) away from home, you were receiving DNS (Distant Network Service). To get DNS service you usually had to sign a waiver.

DirecTV still has DNS, but DISH does not (though it did for a while).

However, with DISH you can still receive local network TV stations on the road. Note that the stations you will receive are the network TV stations that are closest to where you're currently camping. If you want to see what stations you'll be getting, enter your current campground ZIP code here: DISH Locals.

In order to receive these local stations via your DISH receiver, you have to call DISH and ask then to change your Service Address to your current campground. I've been successfully doing this for several years (and it appears so have Rockwood27 and Bigd9 on this thread plus many other DISH users I know). In most cases, changing your Service Address is no big deal. However, from time to time people report difficulties with DISH customer service reps. In most cases it seems to help if you tell them you're in an RV, not a house.

When you get DISH local TV stations where you're camping, these stations will appear in your program guide along with all the other stations.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

36' Diesel