RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Just an FYI:

Dish sells (so does Amazon and others) an OTA adapter. With the adapter, it will grab local OTA channels and put them on the Dish TV Guide and allow you to record them too !!

All you need to do is connect one end to your OTA antenna and plug the other end into your receiver (USB).
I recently happened to come across this info on their web site

and the only downside to that is the local chaanels you get are just those within range of your rooftop antenna whereas getting the locals via spot beam takes away that issue.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbowe View Post
Am I the only one frustrated by the fact that Dish users that have only the “pay as you go service” can change their zip code for the RV receiver and get local channels wherever they are, while users that have Dish at home cannot get locals if they travel outside their home area? Kind of like being punished for being a better customer.
See if this makes it easier. I have conversed with DISH extensively and finally got to someone who "knows." I'm with you on this one but part of the reply II received was that there were complaints by members of the family who where not traveling in the RV that they lost their local stations when the RV changed the zip code. Go figure. I'm retired and no one at my house needs to watch local channels when we are gone.

Anyhow, if you call or chat and the ask for an address, you don't have to give them one.

Here is a quite from a senior representative:

From Senior rep: "I agree, you should only have to provide the zip code in order to get the local channels for the area you are in. I am sorry that you had such a poor experience. Next time be sure and let the agent know that you don't have a physical address and all you are wanting is the locals for the zip code that you supply.

If you have any trouble with this, please let me know. Have a wonderful day!"

What had happened was they changed my billing code on one call in. That doesn't happen anymore.

Happy trails.

Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #17

Dish locals are just "a thing" when you are traveling continuously.

Our "home address" is in E TN, our HD locals are transmitted on an eastern arc satellite that our Western arc trav'ler doesn't pick up. So even at home, we get an SD picture that only fills 2/3 of the screen.

200 miles from Knoxville we're out of the spotbeam and get nothing at all.

I got an OTA adapter, and it works, but tuning channels with the batwing is a pain.

Just got a Rayzor automatic, hoping that with automate my locals and let me tell dish to quit charging me the $12 fee for local.

And if you look at you

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbowe View Post
Am I the only one frustrated by the fact that Dish users that have only the “pay as you go service” can change their zip code for the RV receiver and get local channels wherever they are, while users that have Dish at home cannot get locals if they travel outside their home area? Kind of like being punished for being a better customer.
Not being punished. It's not Dish but the FCC that's the culprit here. As long as you have a home account the rules will not allow you to move locals via the app though not sure why it's ok via phone\chat.Dish got into big trouble with the FCC over DNS back a decade or so. I'm sure they're more than a little gun shy from that incident.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Not being punished. It's not Dish but the FCC that's the culprit here. As long as you have a home account the rules will not allow you to move locals via the app though not sure why it's ok via phone\chat.Dish got into big trouble with the FCC over DNS back a decade or so. I'm sure they're more than a little gun shy from that incident.
never did understand why DISH could not offer DNS while DirecTV could.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
With a recent call to dish I asked as i always do, It would be nice for us hybrid (home and rv) customers to be able to change our location for locals online. The reply was we are hearing that allot and we're working on it. Maybe they will or not.

To everyone who calls or chats always ask for it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #21

Don't hold your breath. I have been mentioning that to DISH for years and have gotten the same response you have.

I have what they call an outdoor account (or some such super duper name), even though I use it at the sticks and bricks while we are home. So the app does it for me.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
better customers???

Yup. tfbowe is probably a better human being than most of us too but he’s far too kind to throw that in our face. Why else would he be upset that someone’s life seems simpler to him than his?

Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, door, doors, outdoor