RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Local channels on Dish Outdoors

Am I the only one frustrated by the fact that Dish users that have only the “pay as you go service” can change their zip code for the RV receiver and get local channels wherever they are, while users that have Dish at home cannot get locals if they travel outside their home area? Kind of like being punished for being a better customer.

tfbowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbowe View Post
Am I the only one frustrated by the fact that Dish users that have only the “pay as you go service” can change their zip code for the RV receiver and get local channels wherever they are, while users that have Dish at home cannot get locals if they travel outside their home area? Kind of like being punished for being a better customer.
All you have to do is use their chat system and request that only your service area be changed to your current location. It only takes a few minutes and works just fine. I have the Dish at home service with two Wallies I take with us and have changed service area with no issues. I do wish it could be done through the web site or app, but that is only on the Dish outdoors accounts.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

better customers???
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

The wife and like getting the home channels while on the road, maybe if we went full time on the road we would still like to be in touch with the PNW. But thats just us.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
better customers???
I was a dish customer for almost 17 years one day they changed satelites, then receivers then dishes the told me their service was not availlable as I had it and buy buy. For what I care dish can be swallowed by streaming. They do not care about anything but profits profits and greed is the name of the game.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #6

we liked being able to get chicago news via WGN America till they dropped that newscast.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
I was a dish customer for almost 17 years one day they changed satelites, then receivers then dishes the told me their service was not availlable as I had it and buy buy. For what I care dish can be swallowed by streaming. They do not care about anything but profits profits and greed is the name of the game.
i can understand your feelings but changes in technology is the only constant a d the first rule of business is to stay IN business. back in the day we were Cellular One customers. we were paying outrageous roaming and long distance fees. Cell One could change my plan but not on my current phone. guess what i did? new phone. monthly fee was more but included LD and no roaming so total $ out of my pocket was less. tech companies have ticked me off and when that has happened i either bite my tongue cause i like the *service* or changed to another provider. we're now with verizon wireless.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
i can understand your feelings but changes in technology is the only constant a d the first rule of business is to stay IN business. back in the day we were Cellular One customers. we were paying outrageous roaming and long distance fees. Cell One could change my plan but not on my current phone. guess what i did? new phone. monthly fee was more but included LD and no roaming so total $ out of my pocket was less. tech companies have ticked me off and when that has happened i either bite my tongue cause i like the *service* or changed to another provider. we're now with verizon wireless.
Same here, but one thing dish will not see is my $ ever again. Plus there are so many different ways to get tv that for me dish is under the last one
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #9

Quote:
better customers???
By that I mean that we pay a large amount for home service as well as Dish Outdoors service. If I call to change location for my Wally in the RV, they change my home location as well. Not good for those still at home.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Local channels on Dish Outdoors

That comes from all receivers on the same account must receive the same locals requirement.
This is one of the “safeguards “ they use to prevent you having your kids across town or your friend or even joe blow tagging into your account for just 7 bucks. ( hey Larry you can have sat service with all the bells and I’ll only charge you 40 bucks ! ) You could have a little side business reselling your account access under the table ( not that you would) but several did , and still do and that’s always been a problem for the satellite providers. One account one location another reason they tend to balk at many receivers and want a “tech” to do simple installs. Multiple locations , at the same time, is a violation of the business contract you have with them

Do you have a separate outdoors account paying separate fees or is it just the 7$ receiver fee?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #11

You may be confused by the definition of “local channels “
You won’t be getting your home town tv stations but the “locals” for where your at.
We can go north about 150 miles and still get home town but 50 miles south we have to change zip code.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
That comes from all receivers on the same account must receive the same locals requirement.
This is one of the “safeguards “ they use to prevent you having your kids across town or your friend or even joe blow tagging into your account for just 7 bucks....
That makes sense. I know they’ll change zip for all receivers as often as needed, just would rather have the one at home recording as scheduled. Probably could open another account if watching networks on the road is worth the money (it’s not).

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Just an FYI:

Dish sells (so does Amazon and others) an OTA adapter. With the adapter, it will grab local OTA channels and put them on the Dish TV Guide and allow you to record them too !!

All you need to do is connect one end to your OTA antenna and plug the other end into your receiver (USB).
I recently happened to come across this info on their web site

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #14

The only down side to OTA channels is location, location, location. We summer in mountainous areas and those OTA signals don't navigate hills very well. But we just change the zip code to our current location and we are fine. DISH has never caused us a problem. I have heard sometimes Direct TV will do it, sometimes not.

At any rate, neither service will give you local channels for two locations on the same account.

born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, door, doors, outdoor