Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

Looking at Getting a new satellite dish--HELP

After 14 months, my Tailgater bit the dust. I thought it was "sealed" but t'was not the case. it was filled with dirt, grass and moisture causing corrosion. DISH guy said, "Well you shouldn't have had it on the ground!"

So, I am looking at Winegard.

The "Pathway 2 has a larger "dish" but it looks like to me that having with it rotating on two axis, it might tend to get dirt, etc. in the cracks, causing it to "clog up" and possibly fail.

The Pathway 1 is sealed, or at least appears to be, but it has a much smaller "dish" and besides it is a "1" which apparently has been superseded by the "2".

Does anyone have any experience with either of these. We are fulltimers and are looking for longevity.

One thing I have decided is that I am buying the tri-pod for whichever I get, to keep the unit off of the ground.

Thanks!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best luck on the replacement...but would you mind explaining how dirt, grass and such got inside the Tailgater casing...if you have any insight on how that happened?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
The "Pathway 2 has a larger "dish" but it looks like to me that having with it rotating on two axis, it might tend to get dirt, etc. in the cracks, causing it to "clog up" and possibly fail.

The Pathway 1 is sealed, or at least appears to be, but it has a much smaller "dish" and besides it is a "1" which apparently has been superseded by the "2".
The Pathway X2 is able to tune in either the Western Arc sats (110, 119, 129) like a Tailtgater, but the X2 can also get the Eastern Arc sats (61.5, 72.7, 77).
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #4

We were Park Hosting for a little over two months in Missouri and the crew would mow and weed-eat around it. Plus I am sure with it sitting on the ground, the dust has swirled around it. Most I ave ever seen have been sitting on the ground. I never thought that they were not sealed on the bottom.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #5

My Carryout has been in use for 5 years and has sat on the ground for most of that use--no dirt/dust/grass problem. Taking the dome off, it is like new inside.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #6

I just placed an order for a Winegard Pathway X2, a 211z Dish Network receiver and a tripod this afternoon! PPLmotorhomes has it on sale. Got mine delivered to my door for $522. Winegard Pathway X2 Satellite Antenna - PPL Motor Homes

Here is what I learned.

The X2 is larger and holds the satellite better in bad weather.

The X2 can drive two receivers and two TV's watching different channels, as long as those channels come from the same satellite. If you change channels and the dish needs to move to a different satellite it will take a second or two or maybe longer. (different people say different amounts of times)

The X2 is 16" tall in the stowed position and should fit inside a outside compartment.

The X2 recommends you use the ViP 211 line of receivers. These receivers are able to provide power to the dish without using a separate power cord. Just one cable and that is it.

The X2 can be bundled with a receiver (like i just bought) but the receiver is the 211z. This receiver does not have a coax cable outlet. Only a HMDI and what look like RCA plugs.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #7

I am leaning toward the X-2 for the reasons mentioned, the only thing is it appears the X-2 rotates in two axis, this might be a place for dirt and dust to get in between the plastic "rings". Even with putting them on a small stand this might be an opportunity to get crud in. The X-1 appears to be totally sealed.

I guess there are trade offs in everything. I just don't want to be throwing out $ 500-600 dollars every year.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We bought the X2 a few months ago and we love it. Easy to set up and locks the satellites fast. We used it during a fairly heavy rainstorm in Colorado and never lost signal. (Our roof dome loses signal with heavy dew.) We also bought the tripod stand for it, which keeps it up about a foot off the ground. It does stow easily in the basement of our Bounder.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 AM   #9

Actually Sarah's one million and one question thread on this forum several months ago about the best carry out Dish Network antenna is the reason I got the Winegard Pathway X2. Although I would cringe every time she would say "I have just one more question to ask" I learned a lot. But I do understand her need to ask a gazillon questions on this highly technical man topic.......after all, I come from a household of all woman . I was so happy when my oldest got married so my son in law and I could go hide together and split a beer while the women talk, and talk and talk and...

So thanks Sarah and all the respondents to that thread. You "educated me" as my 10 year old granddaughter said to me the other day.

But I do have "one more question to ask". Is the tripod is only a foot tall? Gee, I guess I will have to go back and read the product description again.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Actually Sarah's one million and one question thread on this forum several months ago about the best carry out Dish Network antenna is the reason I got the Winegard Pathway X2. Although I would cringe every time she would say "I have just one more question to ask" I learned a lot. But I do understand her need to ask a gazillon questions on this highly technical man topic.......after all, I come from a household of all woman . I was so happy when my oldest got married so my son in law and I could go hide together and split a beer while the women talk, and talk and talk and...

So thanks Sarah and all the respondents to that thread. You "educated me" as my 10 year old granddaughter said to me the other day.

But I do have "one more question to ask". Is the tripod is only a foot tall? Gee, I guess I will have to go back and read the product description again.
Don't make me use this!!!

And as for your question, no...the tripod isn't "only a foot tall." It has adjustable legs so you can choose how high it sits. It was windy in our campsite and we used the bungie tie-down thing that screws into the ground to keep it from being tipped over.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #11

Well Sarah, we decided to take the plunge and go with the X-2. I intend to keep the "joints" clean and waxed and maybe we won't have to worry about a dish for a long time.

Thanks all!!

Pete-
I learned a long time ago it is not healthy to pick on a Texas woman. They bite back!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
Well Sarah, we decided to take the plunge and go with the X-2. I intend to keep the "joints" clean and waxed and maybe we won't have to worry about a dish for a long time.

Thanks all!!

Pete-
I learned a long time ago it is not healthy to pick on a Texas woman. They bite back!
PPL still has the X2 on sale. Ours should arrive today or tomorrow I hope, along with the 14.5" to 22" tall tripod.

I pick on all women. It comes from years of having daughters, granddaughters, 25 years of my wife and I running the county's Girl Scout programs, 4 troops of our own, church youth groups and several other adventures this great life has thrown at us. In my past life I even managed a engineering construction division where somehow I ended up being the only man!

My Girl Scout camp nickname was Saint Peter Not. We camped all over the eastern half of this country with "our girls" and even as far as Canada once. When one girl would ask me a question she would say "Oh Saint Peter" in a lilting voice and pause while the rest of the girls would chime in all at once saying "NOT!" then she would continue with her question. That went on for years and years, and troop to troop. Our "girls" are engineers, doctors, scientist, and mothers now. We still run into them from time to time usually at restaurants when one of them will sneak up behind me and say "Oh Saint Peter....Not".

So you think a little ol girl from Texas scares me? I think not, I have put up with 8 to 16 year old's far tougher than our very own iRV2 Moderator Emeritus.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
You will be happy with the X2. I have had mine about a year and it is on the Winegard tripod, and that is enough to keep it above the dirt. It held the signal, peering through 2 trees all the way through Hurricane Arthur.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a KVH 5 dome that has been acting up lately. I am considering a carry-out antenna. Does anyone know if there is an automatic carry-out with multiple LNBs so you can watch on different satellites at the same time? I would like to upgrade from my 211K to a Hopper/Joey system.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite