Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post

None of this should make you think MAC's are perfect, they aren't.
Just the least worst option. ;-)
[EDIT] Certainly the most expensive!
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
I think the lower end of the prices are better served by iPads, for surfing and email.

Funny thing is the most I paid for a Laptop was over 10 years ago for a high end Dell over $3000.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
[...]Apple, OTOH, sells the integrated hardware/software system we call a computer. They make it all work together so you don't have to.

None of this should make you think MAC's are perfect, they aren't.
Nothing is perfect in this world, well except me... don't ask my wife though.

Seriously, I don't think there is a computer manufacture in this world that has not had some type of problem. They all have their pro's and con's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
One gets what one pays for and in many instances the more expensive is not necessarily the best, but most of the times it is.
=================

To the original poster, have you decided what you are going to purchase? You sure have a lot of opinions to digest.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #32

Almost all at same price point are almost same.

Buy from where you can touch it but before you buy google it to confirm reviews and reports online.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #33

Price is not the whole picture. Intended audience counts as much or more. Business class tends to be rugged but is not the most glitzy. Consumer price point machines get the glitz but are often less well built. Gamers pay top buck for solid with the fastest available. Executive machines often lack utility. The last is why I am not fond of crapple. Custom hardware and OS tuned to work together well but often lacking interface capabilities and compared to business machines difficult to repair.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #34

I have done a bit of computer repair over the years and used to recommend HP/Compaq as a good budget machine. However, when they started using the newer AMD processors things changed. The AMD processor gets much hotter than a comparable Intel chip, so hot it sometimes melts the low temp solder on the nearby graphics processor. That essentially kills the mainboard of the laptop. Long story short, I don't recommend HP laptops any more or any brand with an AMD processor. I'm typing this on a 5 year old Lenovo with an Intel processor and that's my brand of choice now. Dell or Toshiba would be my alternates, but always with an Intel processor.
anoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Looking For a Reliable Laptop
Thanks to all of you. You have given me my homework for sure. Bill
Sorry you asked now? Windows vs. MAC. The epic battle.

I buy HP computers because I've always liked them and we had Compaq's (HP's in another name) at work. Kinda like I'm a Ford guy because my Dad was a Ford guy. MACs are probably the best computers out there, but I've never seen one in action. As I get older, I get set even more in my ways, so I'll stick to Windows for now.

When it comes to buying a new Windows computer, I check the reviews from Consumer Reports, cnet.com, PCmag.com, PCWorld.com, and the like, first. Then I figure out what the consensus is and go from there and get the one that has the "appearance" of working out the best.

Bottom line: I wouldn't spend too much money on one, you're going to throw it into the recycle bin and buy a new one in five years anyway.

P.S. DW's laptop took a dump, had to buy a new inexpensive HP replacement quick. It's worked like a champ while my giant all-in-one HP TouchSmart 600 desktop is now starting to geek up.

Only downside is that it has Windows 8 while I still use Windows 7. What a pain. I hate Windows 8.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #36

Looking For a Reliable Laptop

We have 5 Toshiba Satellite laptops, bought the first one and had no problem, so as a family member needed a new computer we got another one and so on till we ended up with 5. The first one has developed a sticky key, but external keyboard takes care of that. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad for work, and like it. What ever you get you won't like it for long if you don't have good virus protection. I like Norton.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote