Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Looking For Exterior Cell Antenna (not a booster)

I use a Verizon Jet Pack for internet while mobile and it has (2) jacks on it for outside antennas.
I've found these antennas online, but they are all magnetic mount. I can't find exterior cell antennas that are designed for permanent through-the-roof installation.
Can anybody point me in the right direction? I know they make them, as the new motorhomes come with them already installed.
Thanks,
herbsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Wireng.com
Old 03-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #3

Herb you have a great question. One bit you need to determine is the ohms of the antenna jack on the Jet Pack. You want that information so that you can match it to the antenna.

Have you checked for information on the www.rvmobileinternet.com website?

I have a flat panel that I put in a window that is a MIMO antenna with two connectors for the Jet Pack. Can't say I've ever read of anyone direct wiring an external antenna.

Good luck.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbsells View Post
I use a Verizon Jet Pack for internet while mobile and it has (2) jacks on it for outside antennas.
I've found these antennas online, but they are all magnetic mount. I can't find exterior cell antennas that are designed for permanent through-the-roof installation.
Can anybody point me in the right direction? I know they make them, as the new motorhomes come with them already installed.
Thanks,
Herb...just curious....why would you want to go through the trouble and expense of installing an outside Cell Antenna and NOT have it be a Cell Booster also? Just wondering what I'm missing here.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #5

Mike, I just don't want the expense of a booster. External antennas (mag mounts) are about $15 each. The jet pack works (mostly) inside the coach, but I just want a little better stronger signal TO the jet pack from the cell towers and external antenna(s) should help with that.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Gary, I'm assuming (but that can be dangerous) that the coax used on these antennas is 50 ohm just like coax for CB and HAM radios. Coax for TV and CATV however is 75 ohm. Guess I should check that out before I buy, eh?
Thank you for your input
Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Mike, I just don't want the expense of a booster. External antennas (mag mounts) are about $15 each. The jet pack works (mostly) inside the coach, but I just want a little better stronger signal TO the jet pack from the cell towers and external antenna(s) should help with that.
Thanks
Ok....thanx for splainin'!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #8

Thank you John. I'll send them a message on their contact form. Web site shows they no longer make the RV antenna, but they have others that seem like they'd work but they're also magnetic. I'll see if they reply with a model that could work for my use on the roof.
Thanks again
Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

Why not install a steel plate and stick the magnetic antenna to it?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google for an mobile antenna for your hotspot model. This will typically include the cable adapter. Magnetic mount antennas are common. Mount a 8-12" metal plate to the roof to act as a electrical ground plane and mounting point for the antenna. If not comfortable with just the magnet holding the antenna drill a couple hole through the base and screw it down. Winegard makes nice able entry plates to facilitate bringing the cable into the coach.

Antenna example that I have.
https://www.alternativewireless.com/...kaApbJEALw_wcB
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #11

We use the MobileMark LTM series. Check the 3G Store site. 95% + of the time, the MobileMark MIMO antenna feed to our MiFi out performs our Celluar Amp. In marginal coverage areas, the Amp does make a difference.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

I had more time now, and wanted to include the link on what we have on top of our AC cover. (I used RTV Sealant and put up X's 2 8" X 10" pieces of galvanized metal, found in the roofing section of Home Depot. I painted these white to match the cover color. Used two, because we also have a Cellular Amp Antenna on top of the AC cover too.)

Note that we did not care about GPS or WiFi, one of our three 15' cables are coiled out of the way if we ever want to use it. MobileMark has other antennas that can support MiMo/GPS/WiFi duties.

Link below, and best of luck,
Smitty

https://3gstore.com/product/6466_3-c...nna-black.html
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks,
The connectors on the jet pack are TS9. There are many outside antennas and TS9 adapters on Amazon. TS9 to SMA adapters as low as $10 and antennas that mount to a pole as low as $30 . I was going to do the same as you but settled for an antenna that attaches with suction cups. A lot of these antennas are directional and do not work well when moving, ours is directional. We found it is better to not use it when moving. When we get to a campsite I stick it to a window so it points to the tower, works pretty good.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #14

Lightbulb Tupavco TP545

I picked up one of these Tupavaco TP545's on Amazon to use in conjunction with a Netgear LB1120 I use to pull LTE into my coach. Actually haven't even had time to mount the thing correctly yet and it still, while just propped up, greatly improved performance while at the edge of the service area.

Of course being a directional antenna it can require some finesse sometimes to get pointed in the right direction so maybe a high powered omni-directional would be better suited for your needs if you are looking to just install and never touch again!

The full title on Amazon of that one that I picked up is below:

Tupavco TP545 Yagi Directional Roof Antenna 3G/4G/LTE Wide Band 11dBi 700MHz to 2.7GHz Range 2FT Cable w/ two types of connectors SMA-Female and TS-9 Cell Phone Signal Booster Log Periodic Cellular
adanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna