Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update on the RV770

I had this thing for about 2 months, and it finally started to act up. When I first turned it on, it would act as if I was randomly touching the screen for at least 15mins. All kinds of annoying, having it randomly going into menu items while I'm trying to figure out where I was going (I didn't take the RV out of park until it stopped).

After 15mins or so, it would warm up and act normal and would not have problems. I thought it was static or bad power at first. Changed the environment and tried on battery only, still did it. Software was all up-to-date...RMA time.

The Garmin people are pretty good at returns (it was past the 30day camping world return for electronics, but inside the Garmin warrantee). I shipped the bad unit back, got a brand new one in about a week and a half.

So, while I did get a unit with boogers (electrical engineering term for bad parts-Google it)...I still think this design is far superior to the Rand 7735. Still not a fan of Base Camp, but getting more familiar with how to manipulate it to get what I want out of it.

ron

rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
my 'know it all' bro-in-law crowed about how nice his rand was.... right up until the time he had to eat crow and return it to get a garmin like we had

for those of you that use base camp.... I never spent the time to learn it and, even if I did, probably wouldn't want to 'schedule' it to such a degree that it calls for...

basically we just use google to find the primary places we want to visit, putting the address in the 760LMT and wing it for everything else...

Old 09-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #17

We've had the Garmin RV 770 for about 4 months now. It's been TOTALLY reliable for routing correct roads in our 50' coach with tow in Wesrern Canada and Alaska. The BEST as far as we are concerned. Needed one for Motorhome routing which is far different from roads a passenger vehicle travel

We had a Roadmate from Camping World. What a JOKE! I could tell you how BAD it was if you want the details. A total embarrassment to Roadmate, to sum it up!

We've ALWAYS had Garmin but since the Roadmate was such a loser, i looked into what Garmin had. This one is switchable..car or Motorhome. It also asks for width, length, height, AND weight.....when you do the initial set-up. Bridges, etc are all kept in mind when it routes you to your destinations.

On the road again....
mccaulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:09 AM   #18

We have a 40' coach, not 50'....
mccaulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking for the Best RV GPS....

I know this is an older thread, but I have a question.

Weíve used the Rand McNally RV app on an iPad for several years. When we bought from the Apple App Store for $100, RM promised lifetime maps, no extra charge. We really liked the app, but about two years ago, RM changed direction, broke their promise and quit supporting the app. It is no longer in the App Store.

We have continued on using the app, which still works fine, but the data is getting really old and it doesnít run on anything above iOS 9.x.

So itís time for a new GPS.

The unit Newmar supplied in our new DSDP is not so good - Clarion. (Ok, I really mean POS). And Iím mad at Rand McNally for pulling the plug on the iPad app, so Iím looking at Garmin. Can anybody with a Garmin 770 or 760 explain to me the difference between these two units and why one or the other is the better of the two?
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

Garmin 770=7" screen; 660=6" screen. Not sure of other differences, there was a thread on this a while ago......
We just bought the 770, co pilot is the navigator, and she is learning to like it....the Garmin, I mean.......
Could replace the in-dash with a new Kenwood head unit, has garmin GPS built in.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Cruzbill

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the Kenwood, I assume it fits in place of the standard two unit radio? And what would the model be?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #22

several models, google Crutchfield and in-dash kenwood GPS units.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #23

RV 760 no longer available.
660 is as mentioned above.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #24

770 is alive and well:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/au...g-enthusiasts/
Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question.

Weíve used the Rand McNally RV app on an iPad for several years. When we bought from the Apple App Store for $100, RM promised lifetime maps, no extra charge. We really liked the app, but about two years ago, RM changed direction, broke their promise and quit supporting the app. It is no longer in the App Store.

We have continued on using the app, which still works fine, but the data is getting really old and it doesnít run on anything above iOS 9.x.
I was able to able to get a full refund last year from Rand for the RV App. You might give them a call and see if they will still do it.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
RV 760 no longer available.
660 is as mentioned above.
RV 760 is available and in stock on Amazon right now.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One word..CyberMonday.

les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps