Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #15

Someone else said this but it's true: "a smartphone is a computer with a telephone app." As far as cost goes, I pay about $200.00 per month for three cellphones and a hotspot. This includes 15G of data that was upgraded to 30G for free around 2 years ago. So, I have 30G to play with. With AT&T they roll over the unused portion each month, then start over. So some months I don't travel I might end up with 50G to play with. I never use wifi's in campgrounds and I do stream netflix frequently. I've seen a lot of talk about T-Mobile's data plans and they look real attractive, especially the "binge on" stuff. I also read an article today that said T-mobile is #2 in coverage. If I didn't have some special stuff with AT&T (static IP for hotspot for IP cameras) I would seriously look at changing to T-mobile. With the binge on data thing I could probably get rid of my Uverse internet in the house and use the hotspot for everything. Keep asking questions and you will get all of these fine suggestions. One thing is for sure.......you NEED a smartphone.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
[snip]This includes 15G of data that was upgraded to 30G for free around 2 years ago. So, I have 30G to play with. With AT&T they roll over the unused portion each month, then start over. So some months I don't travel I might end up with 50G to play with. [snip]
30 GB? Impressive. I'm curious how much data you actually use in an average month? Probably depends upon how much you are traveling, but what is your best case and worst case usage?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you give up your flip phone, I'll be the only one left who still has one!! Don't abandon me!!!

I too, have been considering joining the 21st century. The options are rather overwhelming. Will be watching this thread for input.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Looking to upgrade my flip phone

Another option is to keep the flip phone for telephone calls, and get a iPad for everything else. The iPad is much larger and easier to see for these older eyes, it makes using it a joy compared to those tiny phone screens. Get the iPad with 4G LTE and WiFi, and you can get 4G cellular service with no contract - basically on demand.....sign up and manage your account right from the iPad ....never have to set foot inside a cellular store front.

Data for the iPad starts at about $20 month for 1GB.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #19

I like windows phones. Same operating system as my laptop and phone also.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #20

That's a good question regarding data usage. I've never gone over 30G. It's been 5 days since the plan reset and we've used 6.81G. If we were gone for a full month it looks like we would exceed the 30G. If that were the case I would go online before I ran out and up the plan for the remainder of the month, then drop the plan back down for the next month. You can do that online with AT&T. It would be expensive. That's why the T-Mobile plans are interesting. I might convert one phone over so I can get the unlimited data and binge on feature. I haven't run the figures on this but it might pay off. I'm always plotting and planning on these things.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #21
jrs

Check out the Moto X Pure Edition phone. Purchased ours (entire family) when they first came out approx 8months ago. Great phone at a reasonable price. Works with any carrier.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you give up your flip phone, I'll be the only one left who still has one!! Don't abandon me!!!

I too, have been considering joining the 21st century. The options are rather overwhelming. Will be watching this thread for input.

Lori-
Have you given up your flip phone yet? I'm still looking, researching, reading, pondering, and getting no where. This is worse than trying to decide which brand/model/year of car to buy when you've never driven a car. I'm sure the smart phones would be nice but I know we won't ever learn how to use even a small fraction of what they can do. We've had our flip phone for probably 8-10 years and just recently learned how to text and to send pictures taken by the phone.
But this texting on a flip phone is worse than morse code.
An Ipad sounds nice but then we'd have the cost of connections with it and our phone too.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post

Lori-
don't worry, I still have mine.... I'm keeping it until I master butt dialing it... No texting for me, phones are for voice communication, computers are for text...
Old 12-29-2016, 04:54 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
That's a good question regarding data usage. I've never gone over 30G. It's been 5 days since the plan reset and we've used 6.81G. If we were gone for a full month it looks like we would exceed the 30G. If that were the case I would go online before I ran out and up the plan for the remainder of the month, then drop the plan back down for the next month. You can do that online with AT&T. It would be expensive. That's why the T-Mobile plans are interesting. I might convert one phone over so I can get the unlimited data and binge on feature. I haven't run the figures on this but it might pay off. I'm always plotting and planning on these things.
I have also thought of switching to T-Mobile or AT&T for their large data plans and data free streaming. However, if you read the fine print, you are not allowed to use the phone as a hotspot or tether while using those features. If you watch Netflix [or some other streaming video], you are limited to watching on your phone.

There are lots of caveats with the "unlimited" plans offered by these companies.

For now, I'm sticking with Verizon; hoping they come to the party with unlimited again....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #25

I switched from AT&T to Verizon several years ago because a lot of places in the Colorado mountains AT&T would switch us to Verizon and say to have your credit card ready. So we just switched to Verizon permanently.
I've heard T-Mobile has some good plans but not sure of their cell coverage.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use an S-5, one of the apps I have is a free one called "All in one toolbox" One of hte tools in the tools sub menu of that app is "App-SD"

My SD card is 64 GIG.. Nuff said.. All the apps I can possibly move are moved.. I do have to move them over and over cause when they update they go to device storage.. but let me check....

Device 9is currently 15.34 out of 16 Gig
Card uis 6.11 ouyt of 58.53 So I have over 40 GIG for storage

Camera and other space hungry apps all point to the SD Card.

I will check this before I post but I think Application Manager can now do the "move to SD card" as well. but the tool box makes it easier to move in bulk.

I am now moving a few apps that updated. hold on.

First: Application Manager won't do it. (I checked) you need the toolbox
Second after moving 3 apps I now have 15.21 of 16 Gig on the Device
That's about 800 Megs free.

I do agree it needs more RAM. but the tool box makes it possible Just run at least once a week to move updates.

And do not forget to check "Updatge on wi-fi only" in your settings.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #27

I still have my flip phone also. I bought an iPad to get used to the i world with thoughts of upgrading my phone to an i something. Everyone tells me I need one and there are lots of things to do with it but I still don't think I want to carry a big phone around. My flip phone fits nicely in any pocket and I am not concerned about scratching or breaking it.

The iPad has millions of things to do with it but the majority of it's use is for solitaire. I never played it before and it is just a waste of time. It would be a necessity if I were still in business so I could text while driving like everyone else on the road.

I am still not convinced that a smart phone is required if your retired.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I see that this thread is still kicking around. I described my use of Republic Wireless in an earlier post, but thought I would update it now that I have been using their newer offering for a couple of months. Their previous offering (and the one that my wife's phone is still on) ran on Sprint's network. Their new offering (the one I am on with my Nexus 6P) runs on T-Mobile's network. If T-Mobile works for you and if you don't need a lot of data it is hard to beat the price. I'm on a $20/mo plan with unlimited talk and text plus 1GB of data. You can find further info at www.republicwireless.com

If you want Verizon's coverage but don't want to pay Verizon prices, take a look at Total Wireless, which runs on Verizon's network. $35/mo for unlimited talk and text plus 5GB of data, or if you activate 2 phones, it drops to $30/mo per phone. www.totalwireless.com

Both of these providers are "no contract", so there is no long term commitment. And if you purchase a dual radio, unlocked smartphone (like my Nexus 6P) you can move it to pretty much any carrier you want as your needs change, since it has both GSM (T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) radios.

If you're still using a flip phone, now is a great time to move to a smartphone. There are some great prices on phones, and providers like Republic Wireless, Total Wireless, and others, have made the monthly costs extremely affordable. Once you switch to a smartphone you will wonder why you waited so long.

Tags
upgrade