Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've seen requests not to stream video or music, but never have been told not to connect to work.
Nothing in the CG rules about wi-fi. It's a small CG owned by the city of Evansville. There are only seven rigs out there, and three ppl actually camping. It's a little cold where we are at right now. Summer will probably be a bigger issue with wi-fi, I am sure.

I did run a sniffer last night. The CG are on a "g" router running 56m, I believe. My neighbors is "n" router running 76m or something like. I played with my advance setting on the router and I finally got a stable connection all night.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
It is my feeling that if you are using it for work, You are not using it properly.. It is not there for YOUR work. It's there for the enjoyment, so we the park guests can do our E-mail and such. And WORK tends to eat up the bytes as well.
My feeling is if I paid for CG spot, I have a right to use the services provided as I see fit, within reason. Really, they don't care. They are only interested in winter revenue.

You can split hairs with everything. I've seen people use the showers to defrost frozen garden hoses. Use the hair dryers to dry wet clothes. My wife said the women take up entire counter tops in the bathroom to do up their make-up, so you don't have room to use other sinks. I seen kids wading pools. You can go on about the do's or don'ts.

Camping itself is consider to be there for the enjoyment, and not as a alternative means of living. I've been to CG where people have put in decks and sheds. Myself, I am living at the CG because it is close to work and cheaper than am apt, and I don't have to sign a lease. So I am using the CG to substain my work. The CG knows and they don't care. And if I pay for service, I feel I can use it as I see fit, within reason.

My use, I consider, is within reason. I got on it once for work. I use the wi-fi Sunday night to Thurday night for maybe 2 to 4 hours at tops (drive home on the weekends).

I respect everyone's opinion, but I'm past any morale usage issues, myself. Just trying to get a little bandwidth so my cold evening go by a little quicker. And I got some really good ideas from everyone. Thanks for taking time to post.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If you're paying rent to the RV park, and the RV park provides Wifi as a service to paying customers, then I see no reason why you can't use the Wifi for whatever purpose you want. AS LONG AS you're not using more bandwidth than your fair share. For most people their "work" usage is little more than email and some access to a corporate web server. That's far less than the non-work video streaming many people think they're entitled to.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's not binding on anyone else or park management...
I didn't realize wi-fi usage was kind of a hot topic. But I agree with you. I paid for it, so I'll use it as i need. But, i try to be reasonable with all the CG resources, because I don't want the fees to go up. I don't run my utilites any more than I feel I need. I try not to waste water. I keep my spot looking clean.

Your right about work usage, from my understanding. I'm not a hardware techy. But when I "work", I am opening up a secured tunnel to my computer at work, like a thin client. The computer at work is doing all the processing. I send commands, it sends views. It'll use less bandwidth than watching YouTube, I think, but more than just checking your iRV posts.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here's one way to tell if something might be a hot topic... The description begins something like this.... Seems like something has gone wrong with X, Y or Z ever since this guy pulled into the camp ground.....

And in this case - you may well be right - a hog or two can degrade service for everyone else. And when 1 or two ruin things for the many - whether the price goes up or not - it is always a hot topic - unleashed dogs - loud music after hours - you name it. Bad behaviors begat bad will.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Here's one way to tell if something might be a hot topic... The description begins something like this.... Seems like something has gone wrong with X, Y or Z ever since this guy pulled into the camp ground.....

And in this case - you may well be right - a hog or two can degrade service for everyone else. And when 1 or two ruin things for the many - whether the price goes up or not - it is always a hot topic - unleashed dogs - loud music after hours - you name it. Bad behaviors begat bad will.
Don't forget those campfires.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Don't forget those campfires.
Campfires? But I like campfires.

Personally I don't like the drinking. I mean the ones that are loud and stumbling to the toliets, and asking loud stupid questions. Went to a CG at an amusement park, and it was one big party at night. The morning it looked like they had a frat party. Since then, I ALWAYS pack ear plugs.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Jefatech repeater and one campground I went into in the midwest had problems with it.

I knocked their system off the air every time I brought up my repeater. That took a while to figure out I was causing the whole system to go down.

As soon as we determined my repeater was the problem I kept it shut off.

I've used it in probably about 70 different parks and that was the only place I ever had a problem.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I understand WiFi throughput and connection reliability is impacted by drunken campfires.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz
As I understand WiFi throughput and connection reliability is impacted by drunken campfires.

I thought the I-waves were dissipated and refracted by the campfire smoke then reconsolidated on the other side of the earth in campgrounds whose names are palindromes of the originating campgrounds. It's never as simple as ya think. except unleashed dogs - that's an easy one... Simple as it sounds.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #38

Bought a TP-Link WN882N for only $20. It's tripled my signal strenght, and my speed is better than it ever was. There is no lost connections, and I can stream NetFlix as well as if I was home. Happy camper now.

Now if I can survive these single digit temps this week.