Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
MaJack vr NetTalk for RVing

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here it is anyway. We are looking for a method to keep in contact with our family while on the road and not have to use our cell phone.
Has anyone used either MajicJack or NetTalk on their laptop while camping? We have Windows 7 on our laptop, heard this could make a difference and we also use Google.
How do they work on wireless WiFi in campgrounds, signal dictating?
Can you use internet on computer at same time as talking on phone?
How is product tech service, heard this is also a concern?
Looking at a base phone inside with wireless phone outside, will this work OK?
Bottom line how well do each work for RVing?
buttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #2

For what it is worth, we travel full-time and could not live without an unlimited long distance cellular plan... It allows us to call ahead, contact local businesses, look after the business of life, etc. We use "Penny talk" calling cards for international calls & $25 lasts us several months calling family in Canada, England & our home in Mexico. If we need something more personal we use free wi-fi (usually at the CG or Starbucks or my tethered iPhone) and Skype.

Just me but I also could not live without my iPhone data plan which gives us web access almost everywhere, runs our GPS, our Banking, Newspapers & a zillion other things... as well as tethers to our lap-top so we always have a web connection ( most CG's advertise Wi-Fi but they don't actually work!).

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
In our case (full time RV'ers) cell phone is the best choice. I am not familiar with NetTalk. I have MagicJack that I use for business. MJ says you needs at least 128K upload for MJ to work. From my experience MJ needs at LEAST 300K upload for good voice quality. The faster upload the better. I found MJ does not work well in most CG's WiFi systems. Works fairly well thru a wireless connection, but again needs higher upload bandwidth.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

Find a cell phone plan that works best for you. There are many options from pre-paid to contract.

A VOIP phone (Skype, MagicJack, etc) requires a solid I'net connection. Very little bandwidth is required but a solid connection with low latency is. That sort of connection is not so easy to find on the road. (this is why many RVers provide their own I'net access via cell phone plans)

Product technical support is one of the things built into the costs. Odds are, though, that most of your problems aren't going to be with the product once you get it registered but rather with the infrastructure connections (I'net access) so the quality of tech support is not a big deal.

If you can depend upon a solid I'net connection, the new MagicJack dongle is a decent way to go. Once registered, it doesn't need a computer. It only needs power, an ethernet port connected to the I'net, and a POTS (plain old telephone service) phone.

Probably best to bite the bullet, though, and get a cell phone. They do suffer 'featuritis' so it can be a bit of a search to find a plan that fits the services you need.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For Mother's Day, or any day, buy DW an iPad. Use FaceTime. Great video conferencing at about 3mb per minute. That is equal to 0.00293 Gb per minute, so using FaceTime for 40 minutes would eat up about 0.11719 Gb. To use 1 Gb of data time you would have to use 1024 Mb. That is a lot of talk time, like about 341 minutes at 3Mb/per minute.

Here is some information on Skype Usage which for Skype to Skype is about 3 MB per minute, but varies in other Skype applications as indicated on the web page.

On our last trip I had the MAC Mini with me and a WebCam. I used FaceTime to talk to the Grandkids, and to my brother. It worked satisfactorily over 3g and CG WiFi. Next time out I'll use Skype for a comparison.

I was concerned also of "data plan" usage, but at 3mb per minute I can talk to the Grandkids and see there faces.

Just wanted to get some facts out on data usage.

Good luck, and Happy Trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have Skype Mobile on the cell phones. We can talk to whomever we need to and not use minutes thru Skype. We even talk to our youngest over in Korea for free thru Skype. Video calling with the granddaughter in VA is great.
Personally I would not put MJ on any computers we own. Too many horror stories for me.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Missing the Point

I asked if anyone used either of these devices for camping. Most parks have WiFi so a wireless laptop would save money over a cell phone, etc. I know signal strength will make a differance. I just wanted a feed-back to make a choice on your actual results.
buttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttster View Post
I asked if anyone used either of these devices for camping. Most parks have WiFi so a wireless laptop would save money over a cell phone, etc. I know signal strength will make a differance. I just wanted a feed-back to make a choice on your actual results.
I agree with the other people posting, that you would be better off with a cell phone, even a small plan, than trying to count on the VOIP solution at RV parks. You probably already have a cell phone, or should, just for emergencies.

The problem with WiFi at most RV parks is two-fold;
  • The RV park spends very little on their WiFi installation. There are notable exceptions, but the majority are not installed by professionals. This leads to inconsistent and marginal reception in parts of the park.
  • The uplink to the ISP from the RV park is the cheapest available. Again there are exceptions, but sharing a small business DSL connection that has 6Mbps down and 768kbps up among 10-15 users will be very slow.
My experience with just plain Wifi at most RV parks has been somewhat dismal, which means that a VOIP (magic jack, ooma, vonage) solution will be inconsistent.

Experience: We have stayed in at least 50 parks with Wifi, I can count on one hand the number that had stable fast Wifi connections. This of course varies depending which site you have and the quality of the WiFi installation. The first issue has been getting a stable connection, which we solved using an external antenna. The second issue, of too many people using a small pipe to the ISP, can only be solved by the park spending more money on their internet connection.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving