Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #1

Mifi vs Hotspot??

I am currently using an app on my AT&T Android (Samsung Note) to access the internet on my laptop. It has some limitations so I am checking to see what my options are. I really don't want to add another monthly charge to one of the carriers. They are getting way to much of my money as it is. But I want something dependable. I have never exceeded the 3gb plan that I have when we take our 10 to 14 day trips. We do this about every 6 weeks and the 3gb is not used at all when we are at home.

So my options are to pony up the extra bucks for a monthly mifi plan or use my hotspot. If I use the hotspot I need to get a dependable "booster" app or buy something like the Wilson cradle. My concerns with the cradle is the size of my phone may not fit. The second concern is having the phone in the cradle all the time. The DW likes to play games on the phone.

I value everyone's opinion and I am open to any other options if there are any.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #2

I used to use my Samsung Galaxy 3 (AT&T) as a hotspot until they caught me and sent a cease and desist letter threatening to terminate my unlimited plan. Some carriers permit it, others don't and others charge $50 like AT&T. That said anything on data is going to apply towards your 3gb so if your running gps and the wife is on playing games you'll use it faster. We camped for a week last year with my grandsons and they sucked up 5 gb in that time! My bad as I didn't think about it. When I was using the phone as a hotspot the signal wasn't as strong as the Verizon Mi-Fi I have now with a 5gb plan for $50. Plus I get way better coverage. I use the Mi-Fi for simplicity, I don't need more gadgets to make something work, just my personal opinion. Others like gadgeting with stuff.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First a Mi-Fi is a hotspot.
Second it will work no better than a good Cell Phone if you are using the same provider for service.. EXCEPTION, if you have an old cell phone the MI-FI might be faster, but a phone upgrade is possible and if your phone is that old AT&T will likely let you have something like the S-III mentioned by Razzman for free or even an S-IV (4 if you don't speak Roman).
Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't want my phone tied up being a hotspot, so use a MiFi unit fr Mellenicom. Thus way DW still has access if I am out and about with my phone.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know how AT&T works, but I have Sprint and I turn the Hotspot subscription on and off as needed. I only get charged for the days that I have the subscription. I don't believe the reception will be any different between your phone and the MiFi.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

I have an I phone on AT&T (jail broken hot spot) and a Verizon MIfi. So far the Verizon has been the better service as far as speed and connection. AT&T has very spotty service in areas where campgrounds typically locate. Our rule is no video when using the Verizon because we only pay for 3gig. I can't believe how much we pay for electronic service.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Based on your usage it sounds like using your phone as a hotspot is the best solution. How tied to ATT are you? We have Verizon and I can use my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop and/or tablet while still using it to play games... and there's no additional charge for using it as a hotspot.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I did not notice any difference in performance between a standalone [Verizon] HotSpot and MiFi off the phone. I can tell you that we had a tendency to use the HotSpot more (easier for tablets to connect to) and hence ate up more of our gb allowance. Have two phones, and only two people connecting, so have discontinued the HotSpot and use the $20/mo for other endeavors. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I don't want my phone tied up being a hotspot, so use a MiFi unit fr Mellenicom. Thus way DW still has access if I am out and about with my phone.
On VZW you can hotspot and use the phone for calls at same time. I would guess it's the same for AT&T since they used to run ads promoting it.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

I have been using a hotspot on my AT&T phone since May/2013. I mainly do forum surfing, researching trips, etc. and never do video downloads. The phone still works while it is doing its job as a hotspot. The DW has received phone calls or texts several times while I am using it. The games the DW plays are not internet or data using games.

One option we are looking at for the DW is upgrading her Kindle to a Kindle Fire HD. This would give her the capabilities to play her games while I have the laptop.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is something new. Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop I purchased one of their Wi-Fi hot spots for 29 bucks. Appears to work ok. 4G if available and 3G if not. They have several plans. NO Contract. You can activate and de activate when not traveling. I like it enough that I' canceling my CenturyLink DSL. which by the way they charge 108 bucks a month and force you to bundle it with a land line. Try the link and it may be worth looking at. safe travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

We dumped our land lines about 5 years ago and have used a Verizon MiFi and cell phones ever since. It has worked everyplace we have been - assuming a phone signal gets in/out. We have 16MB and use it most every month. However, the MiFi works going down the road just a well and when parked. It is a bit expensive but - you can't take it with you.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
On VZW you can hotspot and use the phone for calls at same time. I would guess it's the same for AT&T since they used to run ads promoting it.
Correct. But I noted when I am out and about meaning the phone is with me elsewhere and the DW is at the coach without internet access.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I have phones with wifi hotspots, so adding something to the account wouldn't make sense. I'd much rather do it that way than a phone and a mifi.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote