Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #309

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1
Just got a text from AT&T that later this month they will add free rollover data to my plan. I have been thinking of dumping my Millenicom ---> now Verizon $100 a month plan and upping my 6 GB ATT to 30 GB and keeping Annie on the 2 GB Verizon account so we can up it when necessary. I'd have more data for less money... so it seems a no brainer other than coverage and a need to bounce around carriers plans.

I am still not certain the Verizon mifi is working as well as it did when Mellincom was the middle man. The thing seems to just burn up data and didn't before...

So this rollover data thing is pretty enticing.

I don't think that your MiFi is performing any differently, it really doesn't know the difference. It is connecting as before. What is different is how data is measured. Verizonwireless just measured the bulk data going through Millenicom. Millenicom measured the individual accounts. I originally went from Verizonwireless to Millenicom, because I saw a huge increase in data useage when I went from 3G to 4G on Verizonwireless. Millenicom seemed to be comparable to what I was using with 3G. Current useage as measured by Verizonwireless appears correct.
I agree with your analysis as it mirrors my experience. When I switched from Millenicom to Verizion my usage went up. First I found that I was never really getting 4G speeds. Now in the exact same location, with the same Jetpack in the same location I get 4G speeds all the time. This fact alone will increase usage due to background loading and caching and anticipatory loading of the next page and other browser features orginally intended to make for faster browsing.
So I turned all such features off and decreased usage. Also just having the increased speed prompted more downloads. I have also installed three different usage monitors, 4 if you count the Jetpack, and find they all agree! I know some will never belief all this but disbelief does not alter reality.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #310

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ so having turned everything off do you notice a difference? And were you seeing faster loading / uploading. I have not seen it and to me that's the reality. I know that there is money in nanoseconds for business - but if I can't see the difference I'm not sure paying for it is a good idea.

It could be cause I'm now in the RGV. Here my speedtest results are faster on the ATT cell and hotspot than the Verizon mifi.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #311

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
...So I turned all such features off and decreased usage.
What browser are you using, and what features are you turning off?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #312

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know my meter is running faster since the switch. I initially just went with a 12 GB plan, and was informed after 3 weeks my data usage was about to go over. I NEVER used that much data before. The new 4G XLTE is much faster and of course allows you to burn more data in the same amount of time. That still doesn't explain Verizon's strange metering. After they let me switch my 12gb plan to the same millenicom plan, now it shows usage unavailable. Even my statements do not breakdown how much data I have used.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #313

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I know my meter is running faster since the switch. I initially just went with a 12 GB plan, and was informed after 3 weeks my data usage was about to go over. I NEVER used that much data before. The new 4G XLTE is much faster and of course allows you to burn more data in the same amount of time. That still doesn't explain Verizon's strange metering. After they let me switch my 12gb plan to the same millenicom plan, now it shows usage unavailable. Even my statements do not breakdown how much data I have used.
Verizon wireless online Summary today - matches exactly what my Mifi device was showing - no data used - midway through the billing cycle. Last month called and complained about it. Ended up going over. Called today and canceled it. Since I paid had already paid my bill I have to use the data through the end of the billing period.

The guy says - well you have only used 3.4 GB and have lots of data. I said how do I know that without calling you or getting the alert than I'm running out....

Moved from 6 to 10 GB today with ATT and going to push hard on that through this billing cycle with them. Will see how that works. If necessary will switch to 30 GB plan with rollover minutes. Either way - at least I will know how much data I'm using and anything unused will roll over.

Really disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1420869083046.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	83030  
Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #314

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Just to update you:

It is now 3 weeks since Verizon assured me that that they would "look into things" and correct the errors.

Nothing whatsoever has happened

Just over a week ago I received an e-mail saying that the work with solving the issues had been "escalated" due to the nature of them. Yeah - right !
Update:

It is now 9 week ago since I reported my various problems to Verizon. As of today none of them have been resolved/corrected.

My contact at Verizon, who wrote me a couple of times saying that "they were definately working on the issues, and I have not been forgotten" has gone silent, and have chosen not to respond at all to my last 2 e-mails asking for progress.

So much for customer service

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #315

Here's my update:
The AT&T data rollover really works.
The 'fuel gauge' on our 40GB plan now reads over 59GB. I must now get down to some serious movie streaming!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422923196.961379.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	85000
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #316

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Here's my update:
The AT&T data rollover really works.
The 'fuel gauge' on our 40GB plan now reads over 59GB. I must now get down to some serious movie streaming!Attachment 85000
And my 10 GB plan now reads...
Now of they can keep me connected... we will be on to something.

We still have the other cell with a 2 GB Verizon plan we can up when AT&T let's us down. But it is working for now and I just parked the old Verizon Mellinecom when I cancelled it.. been on the AT&T the whole billing period. Tossed that $100 in the street.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #317

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And my 10 GB plan now reads...
Now of they can keep me connected... we will be on to something.

We still have the other cell with a 2 GB Verizon plan we can up when AT&T let's us down. But it is working for now and I just parked the old Verizon Mellinecom when I cancelled it.. been on the AT&T the whole billing period. Tossed that $100 in the street.
Doh...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423030660053.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	85135  

Tags
verizon