Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #183

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No it is different. No external antenna port. The local staff at the store had no clue about changing sim cards or who millincom is. Wasn't worth the hassle.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #184

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On October 28th I turned on my millenicom jet pack. The unit searched for most of the day and cant get a VERIZON signal. It says Welcome to the MIFI 4629/me. Use the following details to connect to your jetpack. It give the jetpack name and a bunch of zeros. It the says Verizon searching.

That's it. I tried to call Verizon, on hold for 55 minutes and then disconnected me. I called back, 30 minutes later, nothing, I just hung up.
I guess this is another way to handle it.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #185

Mine is still working and is supposed to until the 8th. It is a free week and unlimited because Mellenicom has closed our account and Verizon doesn't know about us yet. I have tried for three days to reach them with no luck so I am waiting for a call from them. They tried to call me yesterday and wouldn't you know I was in the doctor's office at the time.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #186

Monaco Owners Club
Our M is still working today as well. We're using the free data while we can, before I reinsert my new Verizon SIM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #187

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
BobGed. The sales rep had no clue about M or the sim card. Plus if I transferred the M account I would have got 20 gig for $90. The new about got me the 30 gig plus 10 gig bonus for $99 and $50 rebate on the $99 new jetpack. Plus I did this b4 today's V e-mail arrived. They did waive the activation fee also.

That's an AWESOME deal! First I've heard of anyone being offered that much data for that price. The web cost is $130 for 30GB.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #188

Here is the definitive answer on the Millenicom situation and what you need to do:
1) call Verizon Cust Svc at 800-922-0204
2) enter the phone number of you Verizon device which can be found at the "i" icon on the screen if you have a Jetpack. Otherwise get a cust svc rep on the phone.
3) Explain the situation and that you were a customer of one of their resellers millenicom, and that the account have been turned back to Verizon.
4) Give the rep the 800-233-8974 number and they should be able to connect you with the proper individual to handle the Millenicom deal.
5) Here is the offer I got for Millenicom customers: $99.99 +tax/mo for 20gb with $8/gb overage fee. No contract because you own your device. According to VZ there is no other option unless you go to one of their "retail" plans.
They will set you up on a personal account and you're good to go. Took me about 30 minutes once I got the right person.

I debated switching to ATT which seems to be the only viable option but decided to stay with Verizon for all the reasons I went with Millenicom in the first place....best service, best coverage, etc.. I don't like the company but sometimes you just have to suck it up.

There may be better data options for those of you that have Verizon phones but I am not in that category. I still love my Straight Talk cel-phone and use the FREE MagicJack app for my Ipad when ST svc is sketchy.

Hope you all make out well..
Robert
WaterFolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #189

Smile

I gave up calling Verizon earlier in the week because of the long wait times. Called today and only had to wait 10 minutes. I already had 2 phones with them which were costing me $190 month, 2 gb/month on one, grandfathered unlimited on my phone, (which basically didn't do much good because I couldn't tether the phone) and unlimited text The rep was fully aware of the Millenicom disconnect and explained all the options to me. I wound up putting my 2 phones and hotspot on the more everything plan. Went with 40 gigs as I was constantly bumping the M 20 gig/month. I am full time RV, stay mostly in state or national parks and some boondocking and even when I am in a RV Park find the wireless not much good for anything other than email. So my total cost now is $250 month, doubled my gigs and save $30 a month. Not sure I would have looked into the Verizon Everything plans had M been still in business. Almost forgot, all I had to do was power down my hotspot for 1 minute, turn back on and I am now on Verizon, no new sim, no device ID number asked for
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #190

For any of you who may have been considering the new 4G LTE Straight Talk hotspots (I am actually considering it to use temporarily), I just noticed on another forum that it has been confirmed by somebody who has purchased the one using Verizon that it is indeed "throttled" or a better term may be "limited in its ability to delivery true 4G LTE speeds."

Although the one on Verizon seems to give true 4G LTE ping times (user is reporting ping times in the 29-40 ms range), the download times he reported are in the 3-3.5 Mbps range and upload in the 1.0 Mbps range. The Straight Talk 3G Unimax U240 which has been the sole Straight Talk hotspot until now gives 2.0+Mpbs download speeds so the 4G LTE hotspot will not be that much faster. The 3G ping times are quite a bit higher, however.

This is a disappointment as we are used to the Millenicom/Verizon Mifi giving 20+Mbps down, and around 10Mbps up.

I'm waiting to see if the one using AT&T will also be "throttled" or if it will give close to true LTE speeds. I'd much rather be using Verizon towers, however.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #191

Monaco Owners Club
I was already a Verizon customer for phone and I had 4GB of data, with 700 minutes and pay per text at .20 each (I never text). With the 20GB Millenicom plan and the Verizon phone plan before (my contract had run past it's 2 years, so I was month to month with Verizon) I paid a total of $225/month for service for one smart phone and one flip phone, and a total of 24GB of data. Yesterday, I went to a Verizon store and for a total of $210 a month, I got 30GB of data and unlimited talk and text. (This deal only good through Oct 31, which is today). Then, I signed up for the Verizon Edge program and got an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 6, which are "financed" for 2 years for a total of about $50/month. However, with the 30GB plan on the Edge program, they give you a credit of $25/month per line, which offsets the cost of the phones. So, I'm beating the price from before by $15 and getting 6GB more data. This is a better deal than the More Everything plan which would have cost me about $298 up front for the two phones. They also gave me $200 for my 2.5 year old Motorola Droid Bionic. All this WITHOUT signing up for a new service commitment with Verizon (I am still month to month on the service, though I do have the two year finance plan on the phones).
NINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
For any of you who may have been considering the new 4G LTE Straight Talk hotspots (I am actually considering it to use temporarily), I just noticed on another forum that it has been confirmed by somebody who has purchased the one using Verizon that it is indeed "throttled" or a better term may be "limited in its ability to delivery true 4G LTE speeds."
Did the report state whether the device was tested at different times and locations? (To eliminate the possibility of a network issue not related to the receiver itself.)
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Did the report state whether the device was tested at different times and locations? (To eliminate the possibility of a network issue not related to the receiver itself.)

I too thought about that after I posted. However, his results are so low that I still may come to the same conclusion as I personally never have had speeds that slow in any Verizon LTE area with my Millenicom Mifi.

He posted three very consistent results at the same location at around the same time, 4:15 am in Los Angeles:

Ping: 40ms, Down: 3.07Mbps, Up: 1.05Mbps
Ping: 29ms, Down: 3.08Mbps, Up: 1.05Mbps
Ping: 31ms, Down: 3.08Mbps, Up: 1.02Mbps

As I mentioned previously, the ping times seem excellent (or consistent for LTE) but the download and upload speed leave a lot to be desired especially since they call it a 4G LTE device ...almost seems unethical to advertise it as that.

I'll still wait to see if any others report better speeds but I'm not optimistic. Darn, I was so hoping that the new Straight Talk 4G LTE hotspot would be returning full LTE speeds.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #194

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Although the one on Verizon seems to give true 4G LTE ping times (user is reporting ping times in the 29-40 ms range), the download times he reported are in the 3-3.5 Mbps range and upload in the 1.0 Mbps range. The Straight Talk 3G Unimax U240 which has been the sole Straight Talk hotspot until now gives 2.0+Mpbs download speeds so the 4G LTE hotspot will not be that much faster. The 3G ping times are quite a bit higher, however.

This is a disappointment as we are used to the Millenicom/Verizon Mifi giving 20+Mbps down, and around 10Mbps up.

I'm waiting to see if the one using AT&T will also be "throttled" or if it will give close to true LTE speeds. I'd much rather be using Verizon towers, however.

What a bummer. Someone on one of my other forums tested the ST ATT hotspot and reported similar throttling. He compared it to a direct ATT hotspot in the same locations and found the ST version very poor indeed.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #195

Quote:
He posted three very consistent results at the same location at around the same time, 4:15 am in Los Angeles:
I agree those are low speeds for 4G but if the test was made at only one place and time then it is still entirely possible that there was something else going on other than throttling, i.e. some other network issue, or his device, or his client setup, etc., and I would not call the results at all conclusive. But anyway... we will know soon enough as additional reports come in.

One thing that makes me suspicious is that I can't imagine what the logic would be for throttling data on a prepaid usage sensitive account... the larger the bandwidth, the easier it is to use data and the sooner you will have to recharge, meaning more revenue for the carrier. They are about selling airtime after all, why would they want to incent you to use less if you are paying per gb?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #196

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I agree those are low speeds for 4G but if the test was made at only one place and time then it is still entirely possible that there was something else going on other than throttling, i.e. some other network issue, or his device, or his client setup, etc., and I would not call the results at all conclusive. But anyway... we will know soon enough as additional reports come in.

One thing that makes me suspicious is that I can't imagine what the logic would be for throttling data on a prepaid usage sensitive account... the larger the bandwidth, the easier it is to use data and the sooner you will have to recharge, meaning more revenue for the carrier. They are about selling airtime after all, why would they want to incent you to use less if you are paying per gb?
IMO (Call me a cynic if you wish) It's about adding adequate equipment to allow all the users trying to use the bandwidth the 4G speed they're supposed to get. Large capital outlays. More profit in not having to fund those capital outlays rather than having a few of the users pay an additional amount because they need to recharge.
Probably why the feds are looking into AT&T's throttleing.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon