Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #29

Rexhall Owners Group
Internet service while traveling-lots of questions

I hope this isn't a thread stomper, since it is more or less on topic, but I really would like some advice from the experts here.

First some background: I used to be all cable at home, and a year ago I switched to Direct TV so that I could use a portable dish, and DVR from home while on the road. Internet service remains with my cable provider, and is good service, but it runs $54. per month.

I have an AT&T smart phone, and when I got the iphone 5 I enquired about tethering it for mobile internet. I was told I'd have to pay an additional $20. per month and give up the grandfathered unlimited data plan that I have. Booo

Phone service at my sticks and bricks is reliable 4G.

Would it be a good idea to ditch the cable internet at home and use some kind of mobile hot spot device full time, moving it from the RV to the house, etc..

Which mobile hot spot service is suggested for this type of application?

$60 to $70 per month would be do-able.

Is there a downside ?

Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #30

There is another option to keep your iphone plan. There is a program called tether that will allow a laptop to connect and use your iphone data. It's some kind of work-around so you don't have to pay for AT&T's tethering plan.

It costs $30 a year and works pretty good. You can't watch any video though. AT&T will get cross with you if on your "unlimited" plan you go over 3GB a month. Oh, it's still unlimited, but they'll throttle you to dial-up speeds.

You can read all about what I'm talking about at tether.com. In my case, I'm too much on the youtubes, so quit using tether and went with the millenicom hotspot.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'm not so sure that is still a true statement. I got the one on this page - Millenicom | Wireless Internet Products - third one down.

Seems to be amping both types of signal.
Thanks...the WIlson Sleek cradle does seem to do it all. Good to know.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
The device will automatically switch to 3G. No need to do anything.

As for antennas. If you have simple antenna more than likely it's both 3G/4G compatible (antenna technology is pretty simple). The amplifiers are a different story. They are either 3G OR 4G specific because of the different frequency bands (dual-use amps are coming, but they're not here yet).
While many antennas designed for 3G use will cover the 4G frequencies (although the gain is often less at the 700Mhz frequencies used by 4G), the 4G amplifiers are different for the different providers.

For example, Wilson's 4G Sleek comes in two versions - a V for Verizon & an A for AT&T. The reason is while both providers use 700Mhz frequencies for their 4G service, they use different parts of the spectrum & the amps for one don't cover the frequencies for the other.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #33

Right now I have my magnetic mount antenna stuck to the power pedestal next to my RV. I get a direct line of sight to the cell tower about 1000 feet way. I'm getting 3 bars. Do you think I'm getting interference from the pedestal? I've got nothing else metal to stick it to on my RV, unless I fabricate some kind of mount.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Right now I have my magnetic mount antenna stuck to the power pedestal next to my RV. I get a direct line of sight to the cell tower about 1000 feet way. I'm getting 3 bars. Do you think I'm getting interference from the pedestal? I've got nothing else metal to stick it to on my RV, unless I fabricate some kind of mount.

I would think that you would do better to get it higher and away from the power pedestal. I would think that you are getting some EM interference from it. Just a guess though. I know with Cat 5 cables you need to avoid crossing power wires and fluorescent lights due to interference. I have my Hawkins antenna mounted on tv antenna on the roof and see a huge difference with it when on the fringe, plus I can rotate it in any direction that I need to to get a better signal.
Leon
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
Community Administrator

I just ordered the Millenicom 20 GB on the Verizon network which I assume most are on ( Verizon ). They also offer the Sprint network. I'm in an area of NC where the Verizon cell phones don't work but a neighbor with a Verizon air card gets reception. My device will be here Monday and I have 24 hours to cxl. Has anyone here used or heard of the service on the Millenicom Sprint network?

Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
We used the Millenicom Sprint WiMax service in Houston all last winter. Worked good there. That was using the USB modem plugged into a Cradlepoint router.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Thanks. I haven't gotten it yet so you lost me at USB modem plugged into a cradlepoint router

Old 06-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
You can get cell data service with either a USB modem that plugs into a computer or router, or with a Mifi type device that provides a Wifi signal. Most people use the latter option, but we use the USB modem so that all the stuff we have that doesn't have Wifi works. Like our DirecTV receivers or our new LG TV.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Thanks again. I'm learning this by necessity. The NC Mountains are incredible but the CG wifi isn't. . Looking forward to Monday. I'll update hopefully with a strong signal.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
If Sprint works in your area then go with the Sprint Unlimited Package, Same price with no restrictions. Outside of Houston Sprint is terrible so I did not go with it.
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #41

We use flip phones (with 2 week battery charge life) for voice and are on a low level plan. We have a Millenicom data plan for the internet. Millenicom provides the lowest rates and no contract is needed and if you stop the service there are no charges and to restart the service costs only $20. We have a landline for phone service at the house as we cannot get any type of cell signal.

We use the Millenicom Novatel 4620LE mifi both at home and on the road and use the same signal booster as well. The Mifi will charge off 12v and the signal booster only needs a different cable to run off 12v instead of 110 AC. Only the antenna is different for the RV versus the home setup.

The mifi enables us to leave the router at home which is a nice bonuse for using this device. Important to get a mifi that has a place to attach an external antenna.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Thanks again. I'm learning this by necessity. The NC Mountains are incredible but the CG wifi isn't. . Looking forward to Monday. I'll update hopefully with a strong signal.
No signal. Plugged it in , charged it up , turned it on. It went from 1bar to none with 1x service. They told me that was worse than dial up. EEK. I'm sending it back. This section of the Great Smoky Mountains is not conducive to Millenicom. I'll have to enjoy my stay here ( not hard to do) and struggle with weak CG wifi.
Thanks