Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Minimizing on Chrome vs Firefox

When I used to use FF consistently for my browser I could minimize a site or page (sometimes several) that I wanted to go back to in a day or so and if FF crashed or I shut the computer down (and did an Exit from FF File) I could always Restore the next time FF came back on.
Now that I'm trying to use Chrome as my browser, how can I shut the computer down (or if after some Install it shuts down automatically) and still save, or Restore, the several sites I may have minimized for later access on Chrome? Also, I don't see any File, View, Tools, Help, etc, at the top of the page like on FF. What am I missing?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Press CTRL+SHIFT+B and the bookmarks tool bar will appear across the top of the page on Chrome. To save a bookmark, press CTRL+D.

The Tools are found by clicking the three bars at the top right of Chrome.

I'm not a Chrome user, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn and tried Chrome in the past.

Hope that helps!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can view your browser history by Pressing CTRL+H

You can also see recently closed tabs by clicking on the Customize and Control icon as noted in this screencapture.

If you have more than 1 computer and login to Chrome on each machine, you can also view recents tabs from your other devices. I find this feature very useful if I am working on my desktop and then want to open the same page on the laptop or tablet. The DW uses it a lot when researching recipes on her laptop - she then opens up the recipe using "recent tabs" on the tablet while working in the kitchen

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Thanks for that information, it all will help, and things I did't know about Chrome. When I bring up FF after a Shut Down it will ask to Restore Previous Programs, which when clicked will restore all the programs that were minimized before the Shut Down, whether it be one or 20. I haven't found any way to do that with Chrome yet. Maybe it can't be done.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wagonmaster2,

There are two methods to accomplish the task you are looking for using Chrome.

First and easiest is to click on "Settings" under the Triple information bar at the upper right-hand corner. You are presented with many categories. Under "Startup", choose the one labeled "Continue Where I Left off".

The second method is go to the Triple Information Bar and select "History". It will bring up a complete list showing all of your activity. There you can select the ones that you need.

BTW, I had been using Firefox since it first hit the Internet scene. In fact I still use it whenever I need to use the Add-On called FTP Fire as it is one of the BEST on the WWW. However, I have found Chrome to be a lot faster and easier to move around with a minimal amount of screen real estate used to display the application leaving most of the screen real estate to display the Internet page I needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

Thanks Richard, that may be just what I've been looking for. Had no idea what all those 3 bars indicated.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to be aware of with Chrome, if you are on a limited data internet connection: the reason Chrome is so much faster is because it is always downloading data, even when it's minimized. It keeps track of every website you visit regularly, and constantly downloads updated information, so that when you decide to view a particular site it is already downloaded for you.

I tried using Chrome last year for a two week period, using my Verizon Hot Spot which allowed me 10GB of data per month. Between my wife and I we typically used up between 9 and 10 GB per month. Then I loaded Chrome and used it for 2 weeks - our data usage for that month was 12 GB. I uninstalled Chrome and went back to Firefox and our usage went back to under 10 GB. The two weeks I was running Chrome cost us 2 GB - that may not sound like a lot, but at $10 per GB if I had it running the whole month it would have been an extra $40 on my bill!

I'll stick with Firefox, thank you!