Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Mobil WIFI hotspot?

Is anyone using, tried, know anything about the use of Mobil WIFI hotspot in an RV? I was just reading about the mobil WIFI hotspot capability, it sounds like RVing would be an excellent use. If I understand it you would get cell access, internet access etc. on the go. Thanks for any information!
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Assume you are speaking of a MiFi or similar device. I have one with Verizon, which typically is thought to have the largest coverage area. Works very well. One does have to be aware of usage costs. We use CG wifi whenever available and usable. The MiFi is used as alternative.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

I use my smart phone. I have a Samsung S4 through Verizon.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have used my iPhone hotspot, it works fine if you have wireless 3G or 4G coverage for your cell.

Pushed up our monthly data block to 10 G for for very little $$$ and just keep an eye on the usage as we get close to the end of the billing cycle.

Not what you would want to use for down loading movies, but you get full internet access. Not like the limited access from most CG.
OLD1SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Do you have a contract or prepaid?
Does it work to use the internet from tablet or pc while going down the road?
Do you have many connection drops?

Thanks for your input, I think the MiFi is what I was thinking about.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post

The iPhone hotspot works on the road, you can have up to 5 devices connected to the wireless hotspot, we have iPad, laptop and kindle.

It's a stand option on the iPhone, turn it on/off when you went it. Once you connect to the wifi with a device and enter the password, they will reconnect when ever you turn the hotspot on without needing to enter the password.
We use it a lot with the iPad to checkout things on the Internet when traveling and Google map to look at a site before we pull in with the toad.

As long as you have cell phone 3G you can stay on the Internet.
OLD1SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mobil WIFI hotspot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rummy View Post

I have no contract with Verizon. Month to month.

Seldom have connection drops. I do add an external antenna so as to get a better signal. Often we are in marginal coverage areas.

Yes to multiple devices connected at the same time. We usually have 3-4 computers in use.

Yes I use it going down the road. It supports roaming handoff from tower to tower. DW drives while I work.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I use my smart phone. I have a Samsung S4 through Verizon.

Same here. Usually you are charged a monthly fee for each device, phone or MiFi hotspot. Or, an iPad with built in wifi.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We use my Samsung phone (4 years old) as a hotspot through AT&T. It works fine as long as I have at least 2 bars. With one bar it gets kind of iffy.
AT&T has lousy coverage compared with Verizon, so we plan to change to Verizon before our next trip out west, but the smartphone hotspot works fine. We have friends that had the mobile hotspot but my phone works as well and we don't have to bother with another thing to keep up with and recharge.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

We had used a Hughes Net setup with an automatic 1 meter dish on the RV until about 3 months ago. Our service with Hughes had been fine for over 6 years until they started into this Gen 4 stuff. You cannot get on that network if you're mobile and the support on the old network went into the toilet so we went with a Verizon MIFI hotspot. So far it seems to work very well but this winter will tell the tale as we snowbird to Arizona and spend time in some more remote spots. We'll also be heading to Alaska this summer so again, an experiment in how well things cover.

Just for info, when I went with the Verizon hotspot I wanted something that was backward compatible from 4G to 3G and below. The Verizon store swore the little box they sold me was backward compatible but it turned out it was only 4G. When I checked the Internet Verizon showed a MIFI 5510L unit that did what I wanted but said it was unavailable. After checking with my Verizon store, it turns out they can special order it. It's generally not sold except to commercial customers who need a special security feature that only the 5501 has. What ever their reasoning, I got one and it seems to work fine going to 3G service when 4G is not available. The Box was $50 with a $50 rebate and 5gig of data is another $50 a month.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have android with verizon. Both DW and I have hotspot shared data of 10g. never really reach limit but if we do all that is needed is call up verizon and add more for the month. they give you updates of used data so no surprises. we both use our own laptops while traveling. I use the hot spot for all my remote comms for my security company.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #12

We used to use our phones to hotspot, but that got old. Your phone is always warm when hotspotting and doing other tasks at the same time. Plus it makes a negative charging situation when demand outstrips the power going in. We have numerous on-board items needing steady wi-fi like a smart tv etc., so we added a dedicated AT&T Unite Pro Hotspot and mounted on a shelf about the mid-point of our 36' MH. It works flawlessly as long as we are in good coverage areas, which seems to be about 90% of the time. I highly recommend it, but it does add a device charge to your plan ($20) and works off your existing data plan.
windsong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #13

Thanks to all for the information! It looks like there are several good options available. I think I will start by looking into Verizon's options and compare with analog cell options. Thanks again for all your input!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Every person has a different need for wifi. The disadvantage of a permanent wifi location is just that. It is not mobile. Wifi hotspot on the phone let's one be anywhere and totally connected. If you use wifi for the TV (and I don't) then some other format than a phone is best.

We have our full office features while travel or when reaching our vaca home.