Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Mobile Hotspot for WiFi

I have a TracFone that works as follows: you buy the device (the phone) and then buy a data card (minutes). You add the minutes and then use them until they run out. That's it.
What I want now is a mobile hotspot router that works the same way to connect my laptop (not a phone) to the internet. I want to buy the device and then buy a data card, then install the data and use it until it runs out. I want to be able to connect while boondocking nowhere near any wifi access.
I don't to have to pay monthy; I don't want a plan. Just the device and then some data.
Does anyone know of a device out there that will do this? Something that doesn't have any little catches that I'm hearing about?
Thanks.
Flair-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

Problem - "I want to be able to connect...nowhere near any wifi access"
Seems like a mutually exclusive possibility.

Sorry.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair-22 View Post
I have a TracFone that works as follows: you buy the device (the phone) and then buy a data card (minutes). You add the minutes and then use them until they run out. That's it.
What I want now is a mobile hotspot router that works the same way to connect my laptop (not a phone) to the internet. I want to buy the device and then buy a data card, then install the data and use it until it runs out. I want to be able to connect while boondocking nowhere near any wifi access.
I don't to have to pay monthy; I don't want a plan. Just the device and then some data.
Does anyone know of a device out there that will do this? Something that doesn't have any little catches that I'm hearing about?
Thanks.
T-Mobile has a Hot-Spot plan whereby you buy the hot spot ($80) and so much 4G LTE data per month then, after that data is gone, you are throttled to 2G data (unlimited for free but it is s-l-o-w) until the next billing cycle. That is about as close as you are going to get to your TRACPHONE plan.

One issue: reception will vary - especially if you are way out in the boondocks camping. This will be true of any data service. Does your TRACPHONE work where you boondock? If so, what is the carrier? If the carrier is T-mobile, you will be good to go. If it is another only taking your hotspot out to where you camp and trying it will tell for sure.

I believe t-mobile has a 30 day love it or return it plan so you could try it and if it does not work for you, return the unit for a refund.

Hope This Helps
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Let me try this again.

If there is no internet access, you cannot access the internet.

If access is available, there a few devices that will do what you're asking.

One is called Karma, uses the Sprint network, and costs $15 to $18 dollars for a Gig. Costs about $100.

Another is called the Mi-Fi Jetpac, runs about $100, you can buy 1 Gig for $15, and uses the Verizon network.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks.
Verizon and AT&T both have hotspots that will do what you want. You can connect several devices to the hotspot, which connects to the internet. I have the Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack, which cost $49.95 at Best Buy. You then register it on line and purchase whatever amount of data usage you want. For example, I bought 4 gigs that were good for two months, or until used up. It has 4g LTE service and worked very well. I also have an ATT phone that I can use as a hotspot if that signal is better than Verizon. There were places on our last six week trip where one would be non-existent and the other would work fine.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not recommend karma. They ripped me off. I bought the unit. Within the return period they changed the program. I requested to return and was provided s return authorization, a karma supplied return package - and I returned. Carrier says karma recieved. Karma has not refunded my money. I have been told various stories and time commitments. But have never seen my money. Karma is not a reputable company to deal with.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Let me try this again.

If there is no internet access, you cannot access the internet.

If access is available, there a few devices that will do what you're asking.

One is called Karma, uses the Sprint network, and costs $15 to $18 dollars for a Gig. Costs about $100.

Another is called the Mi-Fi Jetpac, runs about $100, you can buy 1 Gig for $15, and uses the Verizon network.

Hope this helps.
I too need to clarify. I sometimes find myself in locations where there is no public library, no Starbuck's, no local rec facility where I can get access to the internet using the wifi capability of my laptop to go through their router. I do have the ability to make phone calls with my little TracFone. It's by no means a smart phone, but rather an older Nokia flip phone. So if I'm in an area where there's cell phone service, I'd like a device that can use the cell service to provide me with internet access.
The Verizon JetPac does exactly that but when I read the fine print, the gigs of data you buy are added to your Verizon account, and then, without making a cellphone call, you can access the internet through Verizon's cellular network. But I don't have nor do I want a Verizon account.
That's why I'm looking for an independent device that does what the JetPac does without requiring me to join a plan or create an account or some other obligation.
Straight Talk has a unit but apparently if you fail to use a certain amount of data per month (not much tho), they'll cancel you.
I do appreciate the responses I've received on this and continue to search.
Regards,
Keith
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Verizon and AT&T both have hotspots that will do what you want. You can connect several devices to the hotspot, which connects to the internet. I have the Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack, which cost $49.95 at Best Buy. You then register it on line and purchase whatever amount of data usage you want. For example, I bought 4 gigs that were good for two months, or until used up. It has 4g LTE service and worked very well. I also have an ATT phone that I can use as a hotspot if that signal is better than Verizon. There were places on our last six week trip where one would be non-existent and the other would work fine.
Lt. Dan -- I assume that with your Verizon JetPac, you also have a Verizon account that you pay monthly for? If not, then that looks like what I want.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #9

Check out Consumer Celluar for a data plan.

Don't have it but looks like a cheap way to go.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #10
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is what we are using.

Go to Walmart. Purchase a StraightTalk mobile hotspot (about $50). Then, buy DATA CARDS for the amount and time you want.

I have been buying 4GB data cards for $40 each that are good for 60 days. They have some other options as well.

It is totally prepaid. There is no contract. Since I paid cash for hotspot and data cards, they do not even have a record of my credit card, name, etc. (I am not trying to hide from anyone, but I wanted to be extra sure they could not switch me onto any type of recurring plan. Might be a bit paranoid, but I have a built-in distrust of some companies using CC info inappropriately.)

The mobile hotspot I purchased will allow up to 5 devices to connect to its local WIFI. So, my laptop, my second laptop, my wife's ipad, and both of our iphones can be connected to the StraightTalk WIFI connection. The StraightTalk then uses 4G LTE to use the cellular network to connect to the internet. If 4G is not available, it switches automatically to 3G and keeps on going.

We have used this from Florida up through the Carolinas and it works fine.

We are considering a Verizon prepaid plan, but the info on their website seems to be incomplete and/or confusing. I will probably need to visit one of their stores to learn more. I am trying to avoid a long term "contract" that locks me into paying for a couple of years. If my internet needs change I do not want to be stuck with paying for something I don't need, or paying a "cancellation fee" to get out of a contract.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Lt. Dan -- I assume that with your Verizon JetPac, you also have a Verizon account that you pay monthly for? If not, then that looks like what I want.
Thanks,
Keith
Yes, I had to set up an on-line account to buy data, but there are no monthly charges. You purchase what you want and it either expires after a month or two, or you use it up and buy more. In my case, we were going to be on the road for six weeks, so I bought a plan that was good for two months. Now that it is expired, it costs nothing. The next time we travel, all I have to do is go on line a purchase another plan. I think you can set it up to automatically renew if you are going to use it full time.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #12

I also use the Straight Talk from Wal-Mart. It uses the AT&T network. You only need to but data when you need it. Very convenient, and much cheaper than the AT&T version, and just as fast.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #13

. . .BOOM MOBILE. . .Claims 5GB for $39.95 total / month / Verizon cell service AND you can hotspot data on a capable iPhone!!! https://www.boom.us/plans/individual
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #14

Enter the age old frustration of RV'ing with an insatiable data appetite.
We travel the west, from WA-MT- UT-AZ-CA-OR. It's amazing how much of the country has no coverage regardless of the glowing maps. We use (all prepaid) ATT, TMob, and purchase data through OnStar. Have used StraightT, TracF, yeah have the tee-shirts..
After spending hrs. in multiple Verizon retail outlets we've not been able to secure a viable device (USB MiFi, external ant.) without a contract even at full MSRP. Their solution is to, and they massage the math skillfully, is purchase a discounted device with a two yr contact. Use it as long as you need it at a continuous fixed mo. rate then pay the early termination fee. ?? Even with crisp Benjamin's ($100s) laying on the counter
They make it clear that they are not obligated to activate the Jetpack we could purchase on Amazon ($70) without a post paid contract of service. They offer no value prepaid.
Waste your own 90 mins. in there with all the flashing lights and trendy music blaring and sales double talk. Yeup, they have the best coverage, and they know it.

Peace.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote