Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Here is my dilema. I am looking for Sat TV service for the camper. I would like to get it at home and just use one of the 4 receivers in the trailer and get a portable dish, but because I do not have a balcony at my apartment, I can not get Sat at home and am stuck with cable. Is there any service providers that offer packages for part time use without having to sign up for a 12 month contract that can turned on and off as needed? Also any suggestions on portable dishes that are easy to set up but fairly inexpensive. Thanks for your input!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #2

Here is my dilema. I am looking for Sat TV service for the camper. I would like to get it at home and just use one of the 4 receivers in the trailer and get a portable dish, but because I do not have a balcony at my apartment, I can not get Sat at home and am stuck with cable. Is there any service providers that offer packages for part time use without having to sign up for a 12 month contract that can turned on and off as needed? Also any suggestions on portable dishes that are easy to set up but fairly inexpensive. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
paz

Since we are full-timers, we don't have any personal experience with suspending satellite TV service. However, I understand both Dish and Direct will allow you to do this. You will still be obligated for a year of active service (two years for DVR), but you won't have to pay when the service is not being used (such as during winter storage).

The satellite company should supply a receiver, a dish, and LNB; but I recomment getting your own tripod. The tripods supplied by the satellite company (if you can even find one) are intended for home roof-top installations and are heavy and difficult to adjust. We have a roof-top satellite dish, but we carry the Winegard Tripod Mount in case we get a site with too many trees. I have only used it once or twice, but is seems fairly sturdy and isn't too hard to adjust. There are lots of other good mounts out there if you do a Google search. Bullseye Mount is one I considered before we went with the roof-top.

Some of the installers may balk at doing an install in an RV. Have the tripod ahead of time and know how you will be routing the cable through the rig. You may be able to use the outside cable connection to get the signal to where the TV is located or you can use one of the flat cable adapters to run through a window. Don't forget, if you go with a DVR you will need 2 cable leads coming from the dish.

Good luck.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Before I initiated service with DISH Network, I purchased a dish and a receiver on eBay (got both very cheap). Then I called DISH and asked to become a customer --- no service contract needed! No obligation whatsoever, suspend whenever you want.

I did make sure the receiver I got was the kind without a Smart Card and that it had no previous balance associated with it. Also no phone line connection is required.

I don't know if you can do the same thing on the DirecTV side of the satellite TV world.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Rick,
Another option is the DirecTV Sat-To-Go system that I referenced in another post in this forum. New system -- not sure if this is a viable option for you but may be worth looking into.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input. I will give dish and Direct TV a call this week and see what I can get set up. I will let you all know how it works out.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Don't expect any phone rep to have any clue at all about satellite use in an RV. I had to struggle for 3+ weeks to get my existing receiver and dish activated with a new access card. They kept trying to send someone out to install a dish and could not seem to comprehend that I had one. After finally getting it activated, it took several more phone calls to get the billing straightened out, since they had me listed as having a 12 month contract and owing them a huge sum for a receiver and dish if I failed to complete the contract. There is no contract required if you own your own equipment!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I second what you said RV Roamer. The DirecTV phone rep insisted I must have a phone line hooked up. I kept telling him it was in a motorhome and he said that didn't matter. After a lengthy conversation the bulb finally lighted and he said are you talking about an RV? Now I make sure I use the term RV as that must be all they are trained for.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #9

Rick,
What ever happened with the Satellite companies? Did you get your setup finished?
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm guessing it's me that you are asking this question to. Yes my setup is complete. I intend to add a dome but will wait for HD prices to stabilize and I have a greater need than I do now. Currently I use a tripod dish, w/dual lnb dual output on directv. Both coax's are fed to a Sonora stacker in the rear drivers side compartment where Cable normally plugs in to. From there it uses the coach coax to the entertainment center up front where I use a Sonora D-Stacker to feed both outputs of the D-Stacker to my Directv R-15 DVR. The DVR feeds in to where the Cable inputs used to go on the Winegard distribution switch. I can watch the R-15 in the bedroom should I choose to. I have an RF remote for the R-15. It works anywhere in the coach without actually having to be in direct line of sight. I can probably count on one hand the amount of hours I've ever watched TV in bed though ;-). In AZ locals are on the 101. Here in California they are on the 119. With an old Para Todos dish I could have both sats in sight but then my stacker / d-stacker wouldn't work. I gave up on the locals to be able to have my 2 tuner DVR.
Long story, sorry!!
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #11

Sorry, I got sidetracked with other work related issues and never had a chance to to do anything with the sat tv thing. Hopefully next week I can get somewhere with it. I am considering talking to my sister as they have Directv at their house and see if we can just add a receiver to their account and do it that way. I would need to get a dish and receiver, but that should not be too tough. Let you know once I get it all straightened out.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
I am considering talking to my sister as they have Directv at their house and see if we can just add a receiver to their account and do it that way. I would need to get a dish and receiver, but that should not be too tough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you are contemplating is "theft of services".

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I got a receiver from my daughter from when she had Dish Network. I also have Dish Network and I am going to call them when I am ready to use it. They told me all I needed was the numbers off the smart card and the receiver. It will be $5.00 more added to my bill each month until I cancel it. I am going to use it when we go to Maine in September.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #14

Tom,
Is there any change at all that you have "gotten around a rule" before? When you ran that stop light the other day did you stop by the local Police station and ask them to write you a ticket?
While it may not be correct, it is done every single day with fixed and mobile locations.
The problem with this solution is that that mirror receiver will NEVER be able to receive ANY Network programming. No ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox or PBS. If that's OK with the user then no one will be the wiser or even care.
If this user would like to be able to use the DTV service to receive the programming that the majority of us want, then they are going to need to get their own mobile account.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote