Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #99

IIRC, you can change the setting right through the display on the device. Remember that changing the setting from 2.4Ghz to 5.8Ghz affects how quickly you get from your device to the Explore and vice versa, the speed from the explore to the cell tower is another thing.
Did you get the manual with it? I tried to attach it but it's too big.
To look through the setting via the web gui - you know the IP address of the device, correct? Put that into your browser and press enter. Then enter the password and you're into the things you can set on the device. You don't use AATWifiManager. Try that. But first try using the device display.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm in ATTWiFiManager and I don't see that option.

In the "About" it says "current radio band LTE B4" but there's no option to change it!
Click on Wifi and then options. Once it comes up page down to click on Wifi Options. It will then show your bandwidth and channels options.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #101

We were talking about cell band that the signal was being received on not wifi band

p.s. B4 is AT&T band 4, which is one of the slower bands, if you can find a place where it will connect to band 12 you will be better, assuming your local tower supports band 12

also if you don't have one you might add a directional MIMO antenna great bang for the buck in many places https://smile.amazon.com/Netgear-600.../dp/B00DN3J03O

One a side point have you downloaded the current firmware on the 815S?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #102
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
IIRC, you can change the setting right through the display on the device. Remember that changing the setting from 2.4Ghz to 5.8Ghz affects how quickly you get from your device to the Explore and vice versa, the speed from the explore to the cell tower is another thing.
Did you get the manual with it? I tried to attach it but it's too big.
To look through the setting via the web gui - you know the IP address of the device, correct? Put that into your browser and press enter. Then enter the password and you're into the things you can set on the device. You don't use AATWifiManager. Try that. But first try using the device display.
Thanks for the info Rick! I've got to be out of town today but I'll play with it tomorrow!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #103
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Click on Wifi and then options. Once it comes up page down to click on Wifi Options. It will then show your bandwidth and channels options.
I'll check that again tomorrow after I get back. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #104
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
We were talking about cell band that the signal was being received on not wifi band

p.s. B4 is AT&T band 4, which is one of the slower bands, if you can find a place where it will connect to band 12 you will be better, assuming your local tower supports band 12

also if you don't have one you might add a directional MIMO antenna great bang for the buck in many places https://smile.amazon.com/Netgear-600.../dp/B00DN3J03O

One a side point have you downloaded the current firmware on the 815S?
It tried to do an update but couldn't complete it for some reason. I'll play with that again tomorrow! I couldn't find anywhere to change that band! Thanks for your help!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #105

You can't change the band on an 815S it only auto selects the band, though if you have the current firmware it will also do carrier aggregation for faster speed. One advantage of the 815S is it will at least tell you which band you are currently connected to vs the Mobley which does not even show this information. I still think the issue may be at your local tower, pershaps the band 12 antennas are down for maintenance and they are only transmitting on the slower band 4 antennas, again assuming band 12 is available where you are.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #106

Quote:
You can't change the band on an 815S it only auto selects the band, though if you have the current firmware it will also do carrier aggregation for faster speed. One advantage of the 815S is it will at least tell you which band you are currently connected to vs the Mobley which does not even show this information. I still think the issue may be at your local tower, pershaps the band 12 antennas are down for maintenance and they are only transmitting on the slower band 4 antennas, again assuming band 12 is available where you are.
Ahhh. Is there a device/hotspot out there that will allow you to 1) move the ATT sim to it and 2) allow you to pick the LTE channel?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #107

Quote:
Ahhh. Is there a device/hotspot out there that will allow you to 1) move the ATT sim to it and 2) allow you to pick the LTE channel?
Although expensive, the MOFI4500 will accept the SIM. It will scan all bands and show their signal strength. It will let you lock the router to any band or bands. It works best if the SIM is unlocked (no PIN). I unlocked mine with a SIM reader.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #108

The down side to the Mofi4500 is that it is an LTE category 6 device, with a max download speed of 300 mbps and the 815S is a category 9 with a max download speed of 452 mbps, meaning that under ideal conditions the 815S is capable of a faster connection speed, though in reality you are unlikely to see max speed from either one.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #109

Quote:
The down side to the Mofi4500 is that it is an LTE category 6 device, with a max download speed of 300 mbps and the 815S is a category 9 with a max download speed of 452 mbps, meaning that under ideal conditions the 815S is capable of a faster connection speed, though in reality you are unlikely to see max speed from either one.
May be, but after a year of using two of them, there's no downside to owning a MOFI4500.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #110

Do you find that you change channels often? Seems that is the advantage of the Mofi over the Explore. The Mofi has sma connectors?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #111

Rec'd my used 815s I purchased from eBay yesterday. Charged the battery last night.

First thing I did was Factory Reset and then configured today: Only issue I had was I did the 3 bogus SIM Pin codes (after installing the Mobley SIM) and PUK code using the 815s' touch screen. Failed two times (attempts 8/10) with Incorrect PUK code message. The touch screen was finicky while tapping on the onscreen keypad.

I switched to the browser on my laptop and entered the PUK and new PIN there. Success. Should have done that to begin with and I recommend the browser way.

I disabled SIM Pin Security but enabled Screen Passcode (also Reset the Passcode).

Before placing the SIM in from the Mobley, I configured the 815's WiFi and manually selected the channels I wanted both bands to use (the 815s was selecting 2.4GHz channels in between what you want, like Channel 2, a no no). I notice you can't use the Guest WiFi feature if you use both bands. No biggie.

Also configured its DNS to manual and Cloudflare's servers. Wish the 815s supported DoT.

This one came with:
Firmware Version: NTGX40C_11.14.08.11
Firmware Build Date: 2016/09/01

I knew this was not current from HERE.

I ran a speedtest a few times:
LTE B4 5.64 Mbps / 3.40 Mbps

Checked for update and received:
Firmware Version: NTG9X40C_11.14.08.35
Firmware Build Date: 2018/04/10

I ran a speedtest a few times with the 815S at the same spot in the house as before:
LTE B4 16.28 Mbps / 4.77 Mbps

Moved the 815S to our Coach parked next to the house, ran a few speed tests, double upload speeds and now on LTE B12.

I'll be checking it out and using it even from the house over the next few days, see how it goes.

So far I'm a happy camper. Next, the Netgear External MIMO antenna and extra battery. $54 + tax well spent. I do have a dedicated router for our Coach but will run 815S only for a couple weeks, or more.

It appears the charger I received with the 815s is keeping the battery @100% and running both bands (2 clients current, 1 on each band). I used it for a bit on battery only and it got down to 90%. Plugged her back in and went back to 100% with both clients connected and streaming. The charger is a ZTE labeled one.

I will keep my Mobley as a backup as well.

EDIT: I also installed the NETGEAR Mobile app on my phone to manage the 815s from it.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #112

Quote:
Do you find that you change channels often? Seems that is the advantage of the Mofi over the Explore. The Mofi has sma connectors?
No, not very often. I have one for home and one for RV. (All home all internet is via Mobley SIM in MOFI) A few times I'd notice slow download speeds (6 Mbps) so I'd scan the available bands and fine the MOFI had switched to something other than Band 12, my best band. I finally locked it to Band 12 only and so far it's stayed there. This only happened a time or two. Normally Band 12 for me is 25 Mbps (I'm in the country).

With the MOFI in the RV, I can do a quick scan of available signals and see which band seems the best, takes about a minute. You can then switch to that band if you're not already connected to it and you can lock it to that band only if you want.

The MOFI does have SMA connectors but I've not found the need for antennas other than what came with them. I expect a directional with gain would do better because if I'm closer to a tower I've seen 50+ Mbps speeds. The models I have come with a "gain" type omni-directional antenna.

I would replace either one in a heartbeat if something happened to one of them. MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4_COMBO [MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4_COMBO] - $314.99