Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #99

In my testing over the last few days I have determined the following with some degree of confidence:

1, An unregulated transformer type (the heavy kind) wall wart DC power supply sized with a no load output of about 15.9VDC or higher and at least 300 ma output rating (typically labeled as 12VDC to 14VDC output) will power a Mobley with no obvious timeout shutdowns occurring. I have confirmed this using 3 different wall wart style transformers of various ratings between 12-14VDC and 300 - 700 MA, I have also found 1 Wall Wart style light weight (switching?) power supply with output in the 15.7VDC range that seems to keep it alive. Other light weight switching power supply wall warts outputting 12.0 - 12.3 VDC with more stable output let it go to sleep after time out. I don't know if this is due to output voltage drift with load changes or AC ripple. (if I can find one with a no load output below 15VDC I will try it out)

2, Shaking or moving a Mobley around during the initial time out run time does seem to extend operation, but only by a random amount, ie shaking a Mobley from time to time during the first 30 minutes of operation will tend to extend the 30 minute sleep timer to some point, perhaps 40 minutes, perhaps 50...

3, Powering a Mobley from an independent power source (portable USB power pack) while in a car, then taking it for a 15 mile drive will apparently disable the 30 minute time out. I have done this twice now, both times the Mobley continued operating after reaching the destination for over 45 minutes, with a total run time of over 1 hour from booting before I disconnected it. I don't know if this is due to vibration detection, or due to switching between cell towers, etc.

4, There seem to be some physical orientations where the Mobley time out is bypassed, think sitting on its left or right side, nose up or down slightly. Repeatability on this is questionable, though shut down after 30 minutes sitting upright on a flat surface with label up seems close to 100% repeatable. This testing was done with the USB to 12VDC adapter that outputs a fairly stead 11.87VDC and the USB battery power pack.

5, Stable output voltage from a bench power supply up to at least 15.5VDC will not keep a Mobley running, though voltages over 15.0 VDC will sometimes extend run times beyond the 30 minute time out.

p.s the Take away from this should be that it seems nearly any old style transformer type wall wart rated at 12VDC and over 300ma will likely run a Mobley indefinitely and bypass the power save timer.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #100

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This issue is discussed in depth at rvmoblieinternet.com . There are a few options to beat the issue. Briefly you can set a timer to power cycle the Mobley every 2 hours, or there is a device that senses the WiFi going down and power cycles when this occurs. Links are given to amazon for purchase of the devices. Both are under $20. Here is a link to the topic:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...-save-setting/
Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #101

Yes, I am aware of those devices (and outlet timers) and in fact have one here from Qwest DSL issues from years ago (pings the device or a wan IP and if timeouts, power cycles a/the device).

However, that is no good if you are in the middle of live streaming (Netflix, Prime etc) or what I need it for, to live stream video (up) from a location, with the time it takes the Mobley to reboot.

I also understand it's $20/mo, no complaining! Just trying to find a solution to this and how AT&T (with Mobley v1.0.3) is restricting this for some owner's needs (and we know it's not what AT&T wants their $20/mo unlimited LTE used for).

Dusty - CPS apc not used for years!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPS_apc_sm.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	234010  
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #102

CoachStreamr, if you are not concerned about the occasional Mobley random lockup, then an OBDII pigtail adapter like https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F16HC12/ (note wiring color code is wrong compared to the online reference) pin 16 positive and pin 4 or 5 (either one) to negative mated to a 12VDC transformer type wall wart, possibly like this one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jameco-Reli...t/122167946201 should do what you want. Though that is an educated guess based on the specs.

From my testing all 12VDC transformer type wall warts that I have tried have worked to keep the sleep timer from turning off, and only 1 light weight universal input voltage switch mode style wall wart has worked.

p.s. for those less comfortable doing wiring an OBDII connector like this might be easier to work with https://smile.amazon.com/Michigan-Mo...dp/B0141UPYDC/ splicing to the wall wart power supply
Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased the Mobile AC Adapter for AT&T ZTE Mobley – OBD Cellular Wi-Fi Hotspot Device no shut off problem.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #104

It would appear some shut down and others don't. I have no explanation.
There have been a few reports that having the Mobley in an upright position that is 180 degrees opposite of the position in a car keeps the Mobley running. I.E., connector down. Mine has always been that way anyway .... it's hanging in a cellphone holder on the window. I have had the usual occasional lockup or performance degradation but no timed shut down. Mine is on a timer with a power cycle at about 3am every day.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
It would appear some shut down and others don't. I have no explanation.
There have been a few reports that having the Mobley in an upright position that is 180 degrees opposite of the position in a car keeps the Mobley running. I.E., connector down. Mine has always been that way anyway .... it's hanging in a cellphone holder on the window. I have had the usual occasional lockup or performance degradation but no timed shut down. Mine is on a timer with a power cycle at about 3am every day.
I'm finding this orientation theory that many are espousing highly dubious. Unless the Mobley has an inclinomitor or some other type of solid state gyroscopic functionality, it simply makes no sense that the orientation matters.

I believe it was posted in this thread what ZTE states regarding to going to sleep, which is voltage and activity (I believe it was activity). It's highly unlikely they also built in something to detect movement solely for the basis of keeping it on (again, they were using voltage for that, so why go to the expense of sensing movement/orientation just to keep it on).
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #106

Dubious perhaps, but experimental evidence suggest there is something positional likely going on. If this is vibration sensor, positional sensor, or something to do with radio signal is unknown.

What can say from my testing is some of the time when my test Mobley was sat at an odd angle it would stay running, also if shaken occasionally it seems to also extend the time before shut down, possibly restarted the countdown, when connected to a stable voltage power source..

p.s. there is also the chance that this is some unintended side effect of what ever method the Mobley uses to detect a fluctuating voltage power supply, ie mechanical stress from vibration effecting the voltage reading, etc. Maybe they are using some cheap cheat to detect voltage fluctuation, like a hall effect switch which can be tricked by movement or position relating to the local magnetic field.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by frede View Post
That is the one I also ordered, hopefully have it here by the end of the week.

I posted the seller's Company website earlier in this Thread to.

And again, I appreciate the time you put into testing Isaac

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #108

Some how I missed this the first time around ! W3DKP, that one connector looks "different" ? What is it ?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	234217

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3DKP View Post
Here is the schematic and PCB layout for the timer I built to reset the internal timer in my Mobley. My timer is powered through a non-switched DC distribution system off of the house batteries.
There is a .pdf file with the schematic, PCB layout and photos of each side of the board and one of it installed on my Mobley.
The .PDF is all you need.

For those of you who are only moderately "electronic literate", here is a couple of tips.
  • The 1A diode is not critical as long as it is rated at 1 A (any of the 1N4001-1N4009 diodes would work). It will drop the incoming voltage by about 0.93V. If you think dropping the voltage more would help, just add another diode in series.
  • The P-channel MOSFET is not critical. The OP used a IRFD9120. Any P-channel MOSFET rated at 1A or above and a Vgs of >-10V would work.
  • If you don't want your LED to blink connect the cathode to ground. If you want it to blink at the rate the voltage is changing connect it to the pin driving the MOSFET.

Now if you really want to get "fancy" you can use the basics of this same circuit to run a cell phone vibrator ! I will leave the details as an "excercise" for the student.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #109

Those are not technically the right style connectors for the OBDII pins, the correct type is more of a square box looking connector. I suspect the wider connector on the negative lead was used so that it connects to both pin 4 and 5 at the same time. Either pin 4 or 5 will work for the negative connection, you don't need to connect to both, but it does not hurt anything to do so.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
Since I built the prototype from my junk box I used what I had. The circled connector is a standard ¼” spade lug and spans both ground pins on the OBDII connector. The smaller connector is a 1/8” spade lug. Your tips on the other parts are right on the mark.
W3DKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know what this means, if anything, but my original (2017) Mobley, which HAS has had the firmware update, was in my barn and powered by a 1.25A 12v switching adapter. I did not measure the actual voltage.

When I first used it in the barn (to stream music), I had it laying flat. After the FW update, the unit would time out, and I'd have to disconnect/reconnect power to reboot. I thought the problem may have been a weak cell signal, so I put a piece of velcro on the label side of the Mobley, and the other piece of velcro high up on the wall.

So now the Mobley is upright, with plug on the bottom. It doesn't time out. I don't know why.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
What is the Mobley's firmware version?

Your Mobley was already activated?

Sorry I missed this question.

VM6200V1.0.3 and yes it was activated ran right out of the box.

It does not timeout on my old E-Bay PS but does on the one.

I connect to the Mobley with David Botts Nanostation connected to a Net Gear Router and have had many devices connected.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem