Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Ours began doing the same thing last week. I'm wondering if At&T pushed out some kind of update. The firmware didn't change from the October update where they took away the "no time out" option but ours ran without shutting down until last week. There are work arounds.

Check out www.rvmobileinternet.com for some work arounds and options, though you might have to join.
Thanks Dan! I didn't see anything there, other than using a timer, that would help.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I thought I was having the same problem so I went in and checked and I still have the "No Time Out" option.

I did just tether mine to a Asus AC1900 router, the first 2 days it seemed to drop out. Today it only did it once when I wasn't using it. I didn't have to reset it, just had to reconnect to the router. The Mobley didn't drop out.

Is there a way to stop any automatic updates to prevent ATT from changing the setting options?
Not that I've found!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The Mobley is a device made by ZTE and was included in the AT&T "Connected Car" plan. This plan is no longer available for purchase. The Mobley is a cellular device that was designed to plug into the OBD II port and when powered, emits wifi and allows up to 5 devices to connect to it/the internet.
thank you
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #18

Yep, this was changed in the device firmware pushed by AT&T. Here are all the details.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I used my Mobley last week for 5 days continuously, powered by a DC adapter, and it never disconnected once. Don't know why.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
No issues with my mobley.
Just be patient, they'll get to you!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I used my Mobley last week for 5 days continuously, powered by a DC adapter, and it never disconnected once. Don't know why.
You're next!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My Mobley suddenly started turning off completely after a short period of time. I went into the settings and saw that the Power Saver was set to 30 minutes! The Unlimited option was gone! The longest time available is 2 hours.

Does this mean that it will turn off if it is not used for 2 hours, or will it turn off after 2 hours whether used or not?

ATT updated them to v1.0.3 a couple months back. I have mine in a Nighthawk MR1100 so it wasn't effected by the change.

JFYI. There are devices you can buy that will shutoff power on a schedule, offhand I cannot think of what to search for on Amazon. But they do sell them. OH Yeah, ATT is selling the Mobley and the $20 plan for 2019, special promo to Chrysler owners.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My Mobley suddenly started turning off completely after a short period of time. I went into the settings and saw that the Power Saver was set to 30 minutes! The Unlimited option was gone! The longest time available is 2 hours.

Does this mean that it will turn off if it is not used for 2 hours, or will it turn off after 2 hours whether used or not?
We've had our mobley since april 2017 and use it in the RV for trips and then in DW's car a 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid. I still kept my local cable proviner for internet at home. The mobley has been plugged into the cars center consoles usb port and never shuts down, stays powered with the car inactive overnight. I just checked and it is still powered up and am sitting in the car with my laptop replying. I did go to the ATT site to check my settings and yes the never turn off is gone. Don't ask me why so i'll hold my breath till they get around to shutting it down after 2hrs. When and if that does happen i will just move it to the OBDii port for car use and deal with it in the RV.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, my unlimited is gone. However, if I'm reading correctly, there may be a way to fool the Mobley and ATT.

This is a screen shot from my laptop.

It appears that if the "car" is running, the hotspot will always be on (of course) and be connected. According to the ZTE Mobley manual, it has a voltage range of 9 to 16 volts. I'm thinking that if we put a voltage regulator in that supplies a constant 14 volts we'd stay connected all the time. No timeouts. I have to research the regulators, I have one already in the RV but for a lower voltage project. I should be able to come up with something off of Ebay.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's another theory.

Does the Mobley have 2 12 volt positive inputs? One constant and one that is only on when the vehicle is running? We'd have to look at the pinouts for the ODBII connectors to determine that. If the ODBII has the 2 sources, the question becomes is the Mobley using them?
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #26

Joe, you might try using the Mobly sim card in a different AT&T MiFi device like a Netgear Unite. I did this a year ago after my Mobly failed and have had no issues. AT&T may eventually limit devices on their Car Connect Plan but so far so good.

I had my Mobly sim card in a Netgear MiFi when AT&T stated doing that PIN thing so I wasn't affected.

Using a Mobly seems to be too much of a hassle with AT&T trying to limit it's use.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #27

I thought the information on this link would be useful on this thread. We just ordered a Mobley this morning before we understood about the timeout period limitation on the new Mobley firmware- https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...-save-setting/
gladu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 7-day electronic timer from Lowes that allows me to program 8 on/off settings per day. That covers 16 hours per day which takes care of our needs. I set it to turn off every 2 hours, then back on 1 minute later. I think it was $13.95.

Tags
problem