Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #1

Mobley solution?

I have searched through the various Mobley posts but have not found a consensus on a solution to the ‘time out’ problem. Some say ‘shaking’ the Mobley. Same say a power supply of a certain voltage. No one seems to have come up with a solution. I ave one of the ‘new’ Mobleys and seem to get anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours before it timed out. Shaking doesn’t matter. Comments have been made to go to settings and set time out for 2 hours. I have not been able to find a place in the menus to do that . The choice of time is not there as far as I can see.
Any help out there?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

Sure to cut to the chase you have 2 options that seem to be reliable:

1, do a software hack to restore the no time out option https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...to_zte_mobley/ This may involve trying multiple times, using different web browsers, etc.

2, Trick the Mobley into thinking it is in a running vehicle by connecting to a power adapter that does not have stable voltage regulation. Generally any of the old style heavier 12VDC transformer style wall wart adapters rated at over about 350ma will work, if you read the fine print these will be marked 120VAC input, not 120-240VAC input (the 120-240VAC input models are light weight modern, energy efficient ,switch mode units) and 12VDC output. If you build your own adapter watch out as while most are center pin positve, some are center pin negative. Parts cost to build one buying an OBDII pigtail, barrel wiring adapter and 12V wall wart online is about $25
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

The timeout is set by going to Settings>Advanced>Power Save.

I had to switch back to my Mobley because my Netgear died. The Mobley updated to 1.03 and changed the timeout to 30 minutes but it never times out. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the the Power Save clearly says "30 minutes after the vehicle stops running". The only way the Mobley can detect that is by monitoring the power level. I have to assume I am lucky enough to have a power supply that puts out what looks like a charge level voltage all the time so it appears the engine is running.

Time to order a new LTE Router.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
The timeout is set by going to Settings>Advanced>Power Save.

I had to switch back to my Mobley because my Netgear died. The Mobley updated to 1.03 and changed the timeout to 30 minutes but it never times out. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the the Power Save clearly says "30 minutes after the vehicle stops running". The only way the Mobley can detect that is by monitoring the power level. I have to assume I am lucky enough to have a power supply that puts out what looks like a charge level voltage all the time so it appears the engine is running.

Time to order a new LTE Router.
Another line of thinking is if you have the older Mobley with timeout set to never and it upgrades the f/w to 1.0.3 AND you don't try to change the setting, it won't timeout. Some people have mentioned that is how theirs is working.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

Mobley solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I have searched through the various Mobley posts but have not found a consensus on a solution to the ‘time out’ problem. Some say ‘shaking’ the Mobley. Same say a power supply of a certain voltage. No one seems to have come up with a solution. I ave one of the ‘new’ Mobleys and seem to get anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours before it timed out. Shaking doesn’t matter. Comments have been made to go to settings and set time out for 2 hours. I have not been able to find a place in the menus to do that . The choice of time is not there as far as I can see.
Any help out there?
There is probably no current consensus regarding power for the Mobley. Having said that, there are 3 power methods I am using. All 3 give me uninterrupted power most of the time. One USB method, used with laptop or with IPhone type charger, stays on 30 minutes when set on 30 minutes but usually stays on continuously when set to 2 hours. I think, from other experience that is because 30 minutes does not let the brick get warm enough to vary the power a little. All 3 cables were recommended on this site and were purchased from Amazon. If you can’t get the option to set the timer, make sure you are using the PC version of attnetadmin as none of my mobile devices except Ipad Pro can access the advanced settings. No 100% solution at this point, but hope this helps. I got all my information on this site and appreciate all the gurus who contribute to keep us posted.

Arktraveler6
Arktraveler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

I have access to 2 Mobleys one bought in 2017 and set to never time out before the 1.0.3 firmware came out, it never times out regardless of power supply, and a 2019 Mobley that came with 1.0.3 installed which does time out after 30-120 minutes depending on setting when connected to a stable voltage power supply. Hence the reason the reddit trick seems to work, as it looks like they simply removed the no timeout from the menu, but did not remove it from the running software (probably much cheaper validation testing that way)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I have access to 2 Mobleys one bought in 2017 and set to never time out before the 1.0.3 firmware came out, it never times out regardless of power supply, and a 2019 Mobley that came with 1.0.3 installed which does time out after 30-120 minutes depending on setting when connected to a stable voltage power supply. Hence the reason the reddit trick seems to work, as it looks like they simply removed the no timeout from the menu, but did not remove it from the running software (probably much cheaper validation testing that way)

Has anybody confirmed that the Reddit theory actually works? I thought I read it was tried by someone here and no luck?
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
because my Netgear died.
Which model died?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I found a digital timer on Amazon that can be set for up to 20 on/off cycles. I have mine turn off for one minute every four hours and so far it has not timed out.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I found a digital timer on Amazon that can be set for up to 20 on/off cycles. I have mine turn off for one minute every four hours and so far it has not timed out.

Ok, but how do you get it to stay on for 4 hours?
Old 02-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Has anybody confirmed that the Reddit theory actually works? I thought I read it was tried by someone here and no luck?

There have been posts on other online forums that have confirmed at least some success with this method, though as mentioned above it seems to possibly require multiple tried using different web browsers to achieve success. Some have suggested that a positive value must be manually set and used, before the -1 no time out setting will work.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Ok, but how do you get it to stay on for 4 hours?
I had my Feb 2019 Mobley up for just over 48 days until I unplugged using the Zim-5 adapter, 24 another and hours for a few other tests.

I am now testing the Zim-5 USB Adapter.

Then there is the hack.

I personally think it's still a good idea to use an adapter that is closer to the voltage(s) when a vehicle (alternator) is running.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 02-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
I had my Feb 2019 Mobley up for just over 48 days

oops, meant

48 hours

In regards to the hack, he says to set a value of -1 to a item (option) that the Mobley is not already set to (selected when you enter that page):

If you are are currently set at 30:
I'd set it to 120 mins, press Apply. Perhaps power cycle the Mobley
Do the hack and changing the value to -1 for the 30 minute option, press Apply.

If you are currently set on 60, 90 or 120:
Do the hack and changing the value to -1 for the 30 minute option, press Apply.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #14

I got to the screen to do the -1 hack BUT I’m not a programmer and couldn’t find where to place it. So made no changes. It was set to 30 though so I changed it to 2 hours. Baby steps[emoji849]