Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #1

More help on purchasing digital Point/Shoot camera

In searching for a new camera that I can post pictures on the Forum does the fact so many indicate it has Wifi 720/1080 on it mean anything? Will this work to post pictures or does it have to have a cable connection between the computer and the camera? And will all cameras have this cable included or be able to use one even if the information for the camera doesn't indicate anything about the cable?
Just trying to be sure I don't spend $200-$400 for a camera and find out it won't post pictures. Thanks in advance for advice from the photographic experts.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

Sony A6000 the only way to go
jerryjoe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a new Canon with wifi. Easy to transfer pictures from the camera to my iPhone or windows computer. From iPhone or computer do as usual for posting to this forum, Facebook, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
720/1080 refers to using a camera to take movies, and indicates it will take a High Def movie as well as the standard quality movie and you won't use this at all to take still pictures.

The easiest way get picture out of camera to laptop, assuming you write your IRV2 post on a laptop is to use the camera's USB cable plugged into the laptop.

In practice its very difficult to get pictures out of the camera over WiFi to a computer this is mainly a feature to get picture out of a camera to a smart phone or tablet with that camera's phone/tablet app.

In that case why not just take the picture with the smart phone or tablet camera in the first place ???

The main detail is to save the photo in jpeg format with reduced size to meet the max allowed by irv2. The highest quality size may be too big.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

In that case why not just take the picture with the smart phone or tablet camera in the first place ???

The main detail is to save the photo in jpeg format with reduced size to meet the max allowed by irv2. The highest quality size may be too big.

I agree...get an iPad. Irv2 has a dedicated iPad app that is WAY better than using a standard browser on a computer ! There are NO advertisements on the app.....plus uploading pictures is easier to ! Easy.....take the photo on the iPad, and upload it to irv2 ....simple as pie !

I'm still using an older iPad 2 - these can be had for less than $200 used or refurbished.
No need to buy the latest model for $$$ unless you really want the latest and greatest and are prepared to pay for it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
720/1080 refers to using a camera to take movies, and indicates it will take a High Def movie as well as the standard quality movie and you won't use this at all to take still pictures.

The easiest way get picture out of camera to laptop, assuming you write your IRV2 post on a laptop is to use the camera's USB cable plugged into the laptop.

In practice its very difficult to get pictures out of the camera over WiFi to a computer this is mainly a feature to get picture out of a camera to a smart phone or tablet with that camera's phone/tablet app.

With or without, will all digital point/shoot cameras come with a USB cable or if not still have the slot for the cable?

When it comes to Ipads, Iphones, and such I'm really lost in the newer technology. Anything past a flip cell phone and a 35mm cartridge camera has left me in the dust. This is the reason for all these stupid questions, so I'll have some idea what to buy and be able to post the pictures when I really need help with problems. Regardless of the camera, etc. that I get I'm sure you guys are going to be getting a slug of question about how to get the pictures to the Forum.
Hopefully you have lots of patience.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
With or without, will all digital point/shoot cameras come with a USB cable or if not still have the slot for the cable?

When it comes to Ipads, Iphones, and such I'm really lost in the newer technology. Anything past a flip cell phone and a 35mm cartridge camera has left me in the dust. This is the reason for all these stupid questions, so I'll have some idea what to buy and be able to post the pictures when I really need help with problems. Regardless of the camera, etc. that I get I'm sure you guys are going to be getting a slug of question about how to get the pictures to the Forum.
Hopefully you have lots of patience.
So it sounds like you have a laptop and want to be able to buy a cheap digital camera to add pictures to IRV2 posts. Go to Walmart. I know it can be overwhelming that they have over 100 different cameras for sale. But only look at the ones under $ 30. They will only have about a half dozen digital cameras priced under $ 30. It will come with the cable you need to connect between the camera and your laptop. One of the main benefits of getting a low cost one will be it will be simpler for you to learn to use, it will have less features to confuse and mis-configure. If you have a Windows Computer newer than Windows XP when you plug in your camera the computer will offer to "help" by importing the pictures to the computer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Community Moderator

If you pass by a large shopping mall sometime, see if they have an "Apple Store". If they do wander in. They will show you how easy it is to use an iPad. If you use a laptop computer now......the iPad is EASIER to use! Just let them show you a 10 minute introduction !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My old point and shoot died last summer. When I looked for a replacement I could not find a cheap replacement that had an optical viewfinder.
They all used a small LCD screen that washed out so badly outside in sunlight that I couldn't see anything with them.
I had to go up to about $200 to get one with a viewfinder that worked in sunlight. It isn't really an optical viewfinder since it uses a small LCD screen that you see through a small port but it doesn't wash out. I ended up with a Nicon P530. It also has the usual LCD screen on the back of the camera.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

iPhone does all I need.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450653904.632995.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	114567
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #11

Things sure do get complicated. Since my current Canon A-1 does have the view finder I always thought I would want that on a new one, plus I always liked the Canon digital that had the swivel screen but all that seems to run close to $400. And sounds like it has many more programs than I need, or could possibly ever learn to use.
But for me, the cheapest camera is no doubt all I need.
The closest we have to a camera shop here is the WalMart Super Center and the couple of times I've talked to a clerk there they didn't seem to know come-here-from-sicum about cameras.
My laptop computer is a HP dv6000 with Vista, which I bought as my first computer right after the Vista system came out. The wife has a laptop with Windows 7, which may be more up-to-date, but I've gotten so used to the Vista system that it's hard for me to use anything else. Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks must have been looking over my shoulder.
Really appreciate all the help, advice, and suggestions you'all have given me.

Tags
camera