Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #1

How will MotoSAT receive the HD programming from DirecTV and Dish Network after the digital chang eover in Feb. 2009?

Will local channels be broadcast?

Will there be an additional cost?

Thanks
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #2

How will MotoSAT receive the HD programming from DirecTV and Dish Network after the digital chang eover in Feb. 2009?

Will local channels be broadcast?

Will there be an additional cost?

Thanks
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #3

Once again, let me reinforce the fact that there is no relationship of any kind with the digital change-over for over the air programming and satellite TV. Satellite TV has always been digital and nothing is going to change with that.
To receive HD programming (remember, HD programming is digital but not all digital programming is HD) via satellite you are going to need an antenna capable of receiving 3 satellites for Dish Network or 5 satellites for DirecTV. In the upcoming future (1-2 years maybe) DTV will have nearly all of their programming moved to only 3 satellites (99KA, 101KU and 103KA) and you will not need the 5 head slimline dish. This dish will still be perfectly usable so if you buy a slimline today it will be good long into the future.
All of these antennas are available as a tripod mounted antenna or as a fully automatic antenna from MotoSAT and Winegard. The Winegard will be cheaper but the MotoSAT will be must more robust and I believe worth the extra.
Of course, the antenna might well be the least expensive thing you do if you want to move to HD programming. The new coaches have HD capable TV's but most do not have the necessary cabling to get the HD signal from a signal source HD receiver to multiple TV's so either multiple receivers will be necessary or a bunch of new cables.
For those of us with older coaches that means not only buying the HD receiver and replacing all of our TV's with HD, but the cabinet work necessary to make it look like the TV belongs there. The good news is that the US economy really needs a boost so I suggest that everyone reading this post rush out and update every piece of hardware in their coach so they can watch all of the re-runs in HD (Oh yeah, most programming is still not filmed in HD so that won't work).
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry Bill...Already did
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote