Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
MotoSAT dish

I want to buy a dish that will do dish network and the internet automatically. I have gone to motostat and they don't list the dish I need.
Can some one please tell me what model I want and who I could order it from?
Bugzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There is no dish that does TV and internet.

You need 2 dishes.

MotoSAT makes both and they are automatic.

G74 for internet and MD500 for Dish or HD-DP3 for Dish HD.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wrong! I have a Motosat dish that does Internet and it has a second LNB called a bird on a wire that handles DirecTV. All one dish! OOps,, I'll edit this a bit. I was talking about regular TV. You are correct if you want High
Definition TV.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is, in fact, no dish that does both on one dish UNLESS you get lucky

Let's say you sign up with Hughesnet for internet service and you get assigned to say.. .83W was your bird. There is no joy.. DirecTV is possible using the Bird on a Wire, but not Dish.

BUt if you get assigned to say 97 West.. Then 119 is 22 degrees away and the Bird (using a DISH lnb on the mount) just might do it.

Get an assignement in the 100's and you will have joy.

IT all depends on which INTERNET bird you are assigned to.

NOW: Direc, now days, has a 3-bird "Arc" and which 3 birds depends on where you are parked (Where I'm parked they use a different 3 and no.. I do not know which ones) West of me it's 110/119 and I think 227 or 229, not sure.

Your Bird can go as I recall something like 22 or 23 degrees either side of center (Center is the internet bird)

Motosat does not sell a "Bird on a wire" adapter for DISH network,,, Just DirecTV. So you will have to home brew.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
paz

wa8yxm is correct - you will have better success getting TV on your internet dish with DirecTV than with Dish - as long as you don't want HD. DirecTV uses only one satellite (101) for the bulk of their standard def programming.

The other thing to be aware of is the automatic dish for satellite internet costs about $4500 to $5000 installed.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Paz.. As I said, a lot depends on the bird he gets assigned to for Internet..

For example.. I was on 83 west and DirecTV (NOT HD) came in solid with the bird.

On 97 I could have gotten at least SOME dish network programming.. (I am not sure if I could have gotten all of it.. Let me check and see if that chart lives on this HD) As I was afraid, it does not .. Must be on the R-52 and it's in the shop.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the comments. Helped alot
Bugzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #8

I have two motosat sat systems to do what you want to do. I have an F1 and a new TV HD sat. Since internet is a two way system the dish is not the same as the TV dish. Works well for me.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote