Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #29

You might consider looking on the Datastorm forums. There are lots of Motosat users there.

We have an old F1 and older Datastorm 6000. It was on the coach when we bought it. I had a local tech in the San Diego area set it up three years ago and since then only had to have him come back to help me once when Huges changed sats and really botched up the system. Other than that it has really worked well.

I have called Motosat a few times. They have been very helpful.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #30

motosat

We too have a motosat on the roof and it takes forever to find the satalite signal. What we now do is stop the dish when the satalite signal gets to a strong spot before it moves on to a weaker signal. Has worked all last winter for us like that. We were in Yuma area and we stopped at between 65 and 70 on the signal strength meter.

now for another point, has anyone changed the LNB on the dish to get the newest feed from shaw direct? We have ordered it and a new updated receiver to get the new channels but have not installed it yet.

Thanks for any feed back on this. John

Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #31

I am having the exact same issues. My control box is at Motosat in Salt Lake and now I am told that they are out of business and can do nothing for me???
What the hell are we doing by buying their products only to be left in the dark and not receive service.
Is there someone that can advise what we can do with the current system or do we have to buy another system from a different manufacturer?
Regards,
Trevor
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #32

We are towards the end of a two month trip and our F1 motosat has worked very well the whole trip. I just tried to get Motosat on the internet and it did not come up, so they may be out of business. A few months back my monthly fee for internet access started to go to a different company. I now pay someone out of Texas.

I find it ironic that Motosat goes out now when it looks like Sat Internet may be improving by leaps and bounds. A local company in our area called Via Sat launched a new satellite about this time last year that offers service comparable to the local cable companies for a fixed location sat internet. And I was under the impression that Hughes was also launching a new one this month.

Frankly the sat dish internet access on motorhomes seems like it is being replaced by wireless internet. I have been able to get Verizon wireless in most locations on the trip we have been on for two months. We have the dish and for the time being will continue to use it as long as the service works. We do boon dock in the west and many times the only internet that works is the sat one.

As far as taking forever to lock on. When in a new location mine takes a while too. I just do other things till it gets locked on.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #33

Kelly,
Read with interest your experience with the Moto Sat SD2 dish and controller. My success rate at finding a satellite with this equipment is low and extremely frustrating.

I find if we have parked in a new spot from the previous deployment it works reasonably well. If like you the dish is stowed because of wind etc and then re-deployed at a later time the likelyhood of hitting the signal first time is, NIL.

I have given up with Moto Sat and I am writing the cost of the unit off to experience as it totally useless. My Winegard Traveller is being installed on October 15th and will advise my findings after this date.

Again this winter we will be in southern Arizona and will give the new unit a good test.

Chicas Dad
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicasdad
Kelly,
Read with interest your experience with the Moto Sat SD2 dish and controller. My success rate at finding a satellite with this equipment is low and extremely frustrating.

I find if we have parked in a new spot from the previous deployment it works reasonably well. If like you the dish is stowed because of wind etc and then re-deployed at a later time the likelyhood of hitting the signal first time is, NIL.

I have given up with Moto Sat and I am writing the cost of the unit off to experience as it totally useless. My Winegard Traveller is being installed on October 15th and will advise my findings after this date.

Again this winter we will be in southern Arizona and will give the new unit a good test.

Chicas Dad
If your experience is like ours you'll love the Winegard system. We always get signal strengths over 95% and most times 97 or 97%.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Motosat shut down

Seen these two postings under the Canada region on IRV2.

"On another note if try to go to motosats web site it does not exist nor is there phone working."

"The founders and principals of MotoSat have left and started a new company."
Mobile Satellite Systems Provider - Mobile Internet, HD Television Acquisition Solutions - SNG, VSAT, TV - Universal Dish Controller

Not so good news for Motosat owners for sure.
Obi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi View Post
Seen these two postings under the Canada region on IRV2.

"On another note if try to go to motosats web site it does not exist nor is there phone working."

"The founders and principals of MotoSat have left and started a new company."
Mobile Satellite Systems Provider - Mobile Internet, HD Television Acquisition Solutions - SNG, VSAT, TV - Universal Dish Controller

Not so good news for Motosat owners for sure.
I have just looked at the site you provided and yes there it is Jim Pendleton the previous President of Motosat is now the principle of this new company. All of us Motosat users that have been let down should ensure these dudes don't get away with it.
No information has been provided to any of us about what to do for service, repairs or support of our current systems. My control box was sent to them for service and after a month I have heard nothing nor have I had my box returned. BBB should be contacted and a reort posted about these guys before they screw a lot of new customers.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #37

Chicas Dad - There are two types of dishes. Don't mix the two. Previously we were talking about internet access with MotoSat. The Wineguard Traveler does not do internet as far as I know. But you are talking about TV access. I have to tell you my MotoSat internet Dish has worked flawlessly for the two years we have had it. Before junking it and getting a similar Wineguard system maybe you should have some one that knows about these dishes try to fix yours. I have nothing against Wineguard, but my experience with the MotoSat TV dish has been really good.

The Internet Satellite dish is several years older and much more complicated. But my Motosat F1 has really been very dependable too. Last year I had to have the repair guy come out when Hughes changed frequencies, but other than that it has worked well.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #38

I have found this discussion on Motosat very interesting since I have had similar problems with Motosat using Shaw direct. I have the Motosat HD dish and Nomad SD2 Controler for two years. It worked ok for the first year but this year would not lock on the satellite. Sent controller to Salt Lake for repairs in July The work order stated this was a common problem for Star Choice (Shaw) systems if the controller was using the OLD DARK CHINA BOARD. Said check and replace if this board was used. Received Controller back in late Aug but it did not work any better. Further phone call got a rather snide response the it worked fine there. Further attempts to contact them led me to the same conclusion, that they were out of business. I Have had no luck trying to shut off the power when a signal is showing. Also I wonder if some of you who have had no problems are using Shaw. On my previous motor home I used a Motosat dish with no problem, however I was using Bell. I have the feeling we will all have to bite the bullet and haul this piece of junk to the nearest landfill and start over. We will not be taking our coach with us when we go south this winter so will wait and see what develops by spring.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #39

I am not using Shaw. I am using Direct TV. It seems to work fine with Direct. Some times the dish goes right to the sat. Sometimes it hunts for a few minutes. But I have had to do no repairs on this dish since I bought it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #40

Motosat and Shaw

Hello:

We had a MotoSat Hd dish with the Nomad controller with the SD card slot installed on our fifth wheel over a year ago. We have Shaw at home. After installation, I removed the SD card. We have had no trouble with our unit, although we are seasonal travellers. I have used it in Oregon, Washington, and here in British Columbia. Where we have reception ( no trees etc), it has worked well.

A concern I have is with the launch of the new Shaw satellite, beamed not in the US. I doubt that MotoSat or perhaps Winegard will update the lnb for a limited population

Rick
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #41

motosat gone

Well for the people that don't know Motosat is out of business but a new company has started up with some of the same players.I have finally given in and had a winegaurd 75cm dish installed.
Yippie!!! 95 and 98 signal strength in AZ with 7.7 db ans 9.7 db loss and press the search once and it works although it takes longer then the motosat did it works.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
Hello:

We had a MotoSat Hd dish with the Nomad controller with the SD card slot installed on our fifth wheel over a year ago. We have Shaw at home. After installation, I removed the SD card. We have had no trouble with our unit, although we are seasonal travellers. I have used it in Oregon, Washington, and here in British Columbia. Where we have reception ( no trees etc), it has worked well.

A concern I have is with the launch of the new Shaw satellite, beamed not in the US. I doubt that MotoSat or perhaps Winegard will update the lnb for a limited population

Rick
Winegard already updated.