RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Motosat, Hd-Sl5, & Nomad 2

Hi folks, I'm hoping for some help getting this setup functioning properly.

When I picked up the coach the PO showed me the motosat setup working fine with all hd channels in Florida but now that i'm in ohio with my DVR I'm having trouble.

When I got home I excitedly grabbed one of my newer 2nd bedroom hr24 dvrs and hooked it up to the sl5 and i'm unable to get all hd channels or satellites to come in. I will check which ones are missing tonight.

I have an sl5, multi, and single tuner selected in the dvr dish setup but I only get a couple satellites during receiver setup and a few hd channels and no locals.

The nomat peaks and locks but i'm unsure of the proper dish settings for my receiver or what may need to change from a hardware/wiring setup.

I get a few hd channels but i'm missing a lot. I get the guide and programming updates but I'm unsure of how to get all satellites and hd channels.

My receiver is an HR24 hd dvr receiver bought 1.5 years ago. I only have one rg6 from the sl5 antenna to the coach.

- Do I need an SWM8?
- Do I have the correct settings in my dvr?
- Do I need b-band converters?

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

- Jonathon

jonohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohio View Post

The nomat peaks and locks but i'm unsure of the proper dish settings for my receiver or what may need to change from a hardware/wiring setup.
- Jonathon
Very difficult to access when not being there in person.

My initial thought is that if the Nomad peaks and locks I would have thought that your Nomad and your Motosat is working OK. My first guess would be that your DirecTv (Dish?) receiver is the culprit.

This is what I would do: Call DirecTv and ask to have a service guy come out. Mind you - not all installers knows about RV's. They may be familiar with domestic systems, but RV's - not so much. If they declare their part (receiver) OK, you may need to send out your Nomad for repair.

Good luck

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes you need a B-Band Converter. That's probably the only issue you have, and will resolve the missing channels. It needs to be installed before the Nomad, so the wiring would go:

SL-5 -> BBC -> Nomad -> HR24.

You don't need an SWM for the HR24, but adding one will give you the use of both tuners. If you add an SWM-8, then you don't need the BBC, but you will need a multi-switch and you'll need at least two cables from the roof into the coach. One for the Nomad controller, and a second for the receiver. Adding an SWM-8 for use with a Nomad controller is a little tricky.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Yes you needa B-Band Converter. That's probably the only issue you have, and will resolve the missing channels. It needs to be installed before the Nomad, so the wiring would go:

SL-5 -> BBC -> Nomad -> HR24.

You don't need an SWM for the HR24, but adding one will give you the use of both tuners.
Having seen FlyingDiver's reply I thing this may well be "the missing link". In my haste I forgot that we did install this B-Band converter on our setup at some point.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you flyingdiver. Where can I get a b band converter?

- Jonathon
Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Actually I found a pair on Amazon for $12 shipped next day. Gotta love Amazon prime.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, Amazon, eBay, SolidSignal. Heck, I have four in the basement of the RV, I think. Unless I finally pitched them. Didn't need them after I converted to an SWM system.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, what benefits are there to moving to the SWM setup and home running all the feeds from the SL5 to an SWM8?

In the end should I plan to do this for future proofing?

How do local channels or HR35 receiver upgrades play into the equation?

- Jonathon
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Some of the newer receivers, especially the Genie units (HR34, HR44) only work with SWM setups. I assume you meant HR34, since I've never heard of an HR35.

Local channels are not dependent on SWM. To get locals, your service address must be in the same area as you currently are located. I've never tried to change my service address to get locals. I do have DNS (distant network service), so I get the NYC "locals" no matter where I am. But you can only do that for an RV-only account.

It's a bit of a pain to do SWM with a Motosat setup, since the Nomad won't work with the SWM signal. To do SWM with the Nomad, you need to connect the outputs of the HD-SL5 to a DirecTV multiswitch, then connect four of the outputs from the switch to an SWM-8, and one of the outputs to the Nomad. Which means you need at least 2 cables from the roof into the coach. One for the Nomad, one for the receiver. You can split the SWM cable inside, if you have multiple receivers.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohio View Post
Actually I found a pair on Amazon for $12 shipped next day. Gotta love Amazon prime.
A pair? You only needed one for the single tuner you have. Or are you going to run another cable for the second tuner?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry i meant hr34. As for a pair of bbcs, they come in pairs on prime...so I will have two. I will eventually connect both tuners so o can record and watch different shows.

Thank you for the clarifications!

- Jonathon
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So still having issues.

1. I installed one of the BBCs before the A/B switch on the feed from the SL5. I then re-ran the satellite setup and i'm missing all odd/even transponders on 99 and 103 but I have everything on 101 and 119 (the same as before the BBC).

I even re-ran the motosat find sequence with the BBC connected but got the same outcome.

2. I then directly connected the satellite feed with the BBC to input 1 on my dvr (bypassed the a/b switch), no change.

3. I then swapped with the 2nd BBC (thinking one may be defective) and got the same.

I have SL5 dish type, multiswitch switch type, and single tuner selected on the receiver. Is this right?

Any thoughts?

- Jonathon
Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Why did you have an A/B switch in the circuit? Where's the Nomad? Do you have any splitters in the system?

Please recount the exact wiring you have, all the way from the HD-SL5 to the receiver, including any splitters or connectors.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The A/B switch was installed before I bought the coach and I was told it is required to make the system function properly. I select the nomad (A side) when finding the satellites and then select the receiver (b side) when I want to watch tv.

I only temporarily disconnected the a/b switch after the BBC did nothing.

Here was the setup before adding the BBC:
SL5 (single feed) - A/B switch (A being nomad and B being receiver) - Receiver

Adding BBC:
SL5 - BBC - A/B switch - receiver

No splitters that I know of. I'm only working from what's coming into the overhead compartment.