Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #1

MOTOSAT won't find Direct TV signal

We have a 2000 CC with a MOTOSAT auto antenna on the roof. It has a horrible time trying to find as Direct TV signal. It searches until it finally gets tired and stows itself for a much needed rest. Then SOMETIMES when I tell it to find the second or third time it will find the signal. Of course by then the DIrect TV needs a phone call to get the receivers reactivated because we moved from the last location we spent an hour on the phone with Direct TV to get the receivers working again.
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong??? I'm at my wits end with the MOTOSAT and Direct TV and thinking that if the Fold down/up antenna won't get it do I really need it...except for the $60 a month I'm payiing Direct TV...
any help would be greatly appreciated....

2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC1212 View Post
We have a 2000 CC with a MOTOSAT auto antenna on the roof. It has a horrible time trying to find as Direct TV signal. It searches until it finally gets tired and stows itself for a much needed rest. Then SOMETIMES when I tell it to find the second or third time it will find the signal. Of course by then the DIrect TV needs a phone call to get the receivers reactivated because we moved from the last location we spent an hour on the phone with Direct TV to get the receivers working again.
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong??? I'm at my wits end with the MOTOSAT and Direct TV and thinking that if the Fold down/up antenna won't get it do I really need it...except for the $60 a month I'm payiing Direct TV...
any help would be greatly appreciated....
What model dish and what controller do you have? And have you updated the firmware in the controller lately? DirecTV occasionally changes the transmission signatures of their satellites, which causes the controller to not be able to identify them. If that's the case, you'll need to get a firmware update from Motosat.

joe
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have had to update my controller software twice in the last 12 months as my system could not find the satellites.

Here is a link to MotoSAT's TV software updates.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Motosat with a Nomad controller,
I downloaded the new software and set up a Hyperterminal connection.
Now how do I transfer the new software to the Nomad 2.
Can anyone tell me please
EJVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need a 9 pin to 15 pin serial cable from Motosat. Motosat Support

Support Info:

Telephone Number:
1-800-247-7486

Hours Of Operation
MotoSAT is open for business Monday through Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM Mountain Standard Time (Excluding Holidays)

We offer over the phone Technical Support for MotoSAT Internet customers Monday through Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM Mountain Standard Time and on Saturday and Sunday from 6am-6pm MST.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #6

I would recommend that all MotoSAT TV owners buy an update module from MotoSAT or a local dealer. They cost about $70 plus an SD card but this allows you do download the new software to the SD card and then simply plug the controller into the Nomad 2 or 3. As the software updates just keep coming it looks like a good investment for the long term ease of operation.
I believe that I still have one of the 9 to 15 pin cables if anyone wants one for the price of shipping. You can PM me or drop me a line at Bill@InternetAnywhere.US
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
What is the reason for the upgrades to the Motosat controlers? I have a Nomad 3 and it is having problems locking onto the satelite. I guess I need to contact Motosat Support.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
What is the reason for the upgrades to the Motosat controlers? I have a Nomad 3 and it is having problems locking onto the satelite. I guess I need to contact Motosat Support.

Sammie
The satellite operators (Dish and DirecTV) change the transmission signatures of the transponders that the controllers try to aim at. If they change too much, the controller can't tell what bird it's aiming at and it won't lock on properly.

joe
Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I would recommend that all MotoSAT TV owners buy an update module from MotoSAT or a local dealer. They cost about $70 plus an SD card but this allows you do download the new software to the SD card and then simply plug the controller into the Nomad 2 or 3. As the software updates just keep coming it looks like a good investment for the long term ease of operation.
I believe that I still have one of the 9 to 15 pin cables if anyone wants one for the price of shipping. You can PM me or drop me a line at Bill@InternetAnywhere.US
I have one of those cables too, but I also have a Nomad SD that doesn't need the update module. I wonder if Motosat has a upgrade price to go from a Nomad 2 to a Nomad SD?

joe
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks FlyingDiver for the info. This explains my problem. Motosat is supposed to call me back today with information on how to order module updates.

Sammie
Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Just got off the phone with Mitch at Motosat and here is the update. They will sell you a programing update module for $79.00 plus shipping. Then when an update needs to be done they will send you a SD card with new programing installed which you will then insert into the module and connect to your Motosat controller box. New programing seems to be an ongoing thing. Oh well it seems like all new age electronics needs to be updated constantly.

Sammie
Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #12

Unless you have no computer at all there is no reason to have to wait for MotoSAT to send you an SD card. You can download the new firmware updates when they come out and load them on your own SD card. You can then do the update right away rather than having to wait and pay the shipping both ways.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
10-4 good buddy! Thanks Bill.

Sammie