Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Mp1 carry out sat with direct tv

Any one use the mp1 sat dish with direct tv? We picked one up from camping world and can not seem to find a bird at all. We first plugged into the input jack out side and have since went directly to the receiver running the cable through the window. Still nothing. The transponder screen before the signal strength shows all 0. Do have a clean shot to the sky Any help.
NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this the manual Carryout dish?
If so it must be pretty level for the elevation and azimuth settings for your location to work.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure you don't have any thing in the way. Try on top of your RV and make sure it is a distance from any vent or AC. Power off and on after any move. Do you hear it moving around in the dome?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I'm using the VuQube VQ1000 and don't have a problem picking up DirecTV. As mentioned, carryouts such as this are sensitive to level and correct elevation and azimuth settings since the dish is smaller than the tripod dishes.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Check the reciever setting.Must sync with dish
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the MP-1 a couple of weeks ago to use in situations when my roof mounted automatic dome could not see the satellite. I used a satellite finder meter and definitely had the satellite signal and since the 18 volt power comes from the receiver and I had the power at the MP-1 I know I had a good connection to the receiver. After a couple of hours messing with the setup I called DirecTV. They had me change my satellite setup in the receiver with no luck. Two DirecTV techs finally told me the MP-1 was not compatible with my receiver which is their DVR model. I don't know if the techs are correct but after several hours I returned the MP-1 and moved the MH to a different location.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
I wondered if that was my problem. I was using the hr24 DVD receiver
NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #8

Your HR24 is an HD DVR. The MP1 is SD only on DirecTV. The HR24 probably needed a change in Setup to 18" Round Dish and Multiswitch. How did you hook it to the receiver? Any amps or non-approved splitters would kill the DirecTV signal. Could have been a bad MP1 too.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexas View Post
Any one use the mp1 sat dish with direct tv? We picked one up from camping world and can not seem to find a bird at all. We first plugged into the input jack out side and have since went directly to the receiver running the cable through the window. Still nothing. The transponder screen before the signal strength shows all 0. Do have a clean shot to the sky Any help.
I have the MP1 as a back up to my roof mounted directv HD dish. They can be a little tricky to set up so make sure you do the following:

1. Go on line to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and get your settings.
2. Go into setup on the receiver and make sure you select the 18" dish. No splitters. Direct from dish to receiver. Works with my Directv DVR. Just no HD programing with the MP1

3. Make sure the MP1 is level. Bubble in the bulls eye. The optional Leg set helps
4. Set your elevation.
5. Use a good compass to help you point the dish. The one that came with the dish is not the best. I bought a military surplus compass off ebay and it works great. Point the dish in the general direction indicated by the compass and rotate the dish very, very, very, very, very slow.You may need to go right and then left to zero in on the bird. If you draw a straight line between your dish and the satellite it will be about 22,300 miles long, move your dish even one degree off peak and the other end of your line has wandered off target by approximately 389 miles.

If I need to use my MP1 I can have it up and running in about 10 minutes now. I think the first time it took about 45 minutes. Dont give up you will get it.

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #10

I have the MP1 also and it works great just needs to be level and elevation and azimuth settings very close and what really helps having walkie talkies
so someone at the tv can communicate with you out at the dish.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I recently purchased the MP1 to use with a direct TV HR20 receiver. One thing to remember with Direct TV is that depending on the receiver you may need additional equipment. Once I purchased a multiswitch and power inserter, I was able to get all the SD broadcast channels from satellite 101. Another note from my experience. I had to hook up both connectors from the MP1 to the 99 and 101 port on the multiswitch in order to pass tests and download the program guide data.

Your mileage may vary, but figured after muddling through it a bit, I should share this info since I've learned so much other information on these forums from fellow RVers.
dwight.d.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
When we bought an manual MP 1 last summer, we could not make it work. Called support at Direct TV only because I was at my wits end. They asked that we set it up point it the best we could, and wait 5 minutes. They sent some kind of signal to the receivers and they worked fine from then on. Make sure you ask for the RV section. The regular support would not know an RV if it ran over them.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote