Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Multiple TVs, one dish

I now have a Wingard carryout dish and am trying to get the proper setup. I have two non-HD TVs. Right now I can get it to work on the front TV by running cables from the back of the dish receiver to the video jacks on the front of the TV. Not a very attractive setup, but it works...for that TV.

Right now I have an a/b switch to switch between the receiver and the media distribution box. Can the satellite signal go through that box? With non HD TVs I have a mess in my cabinet with the extra hd converter. Also, there isan RF modulator in the cabinet. Haven't figured out why that is necessary. I'm ready to pull everything out and start over but am not sure exactly what is necessary.

I know I am rambling here, but if anyone has any info or a good schematic to reference it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the Sat receiver has a TV-OUT antenna type connection Then yes, there should be a SAT IN on that media switch box.. Route it there and simply choose SAT.

IF it only has A/V outputs (The red/white/yellow jacks) then put an A/B type video switch in the line that goes to the DVD in on the media box and feed it that way.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If the Sat receiver has a TV-OUT antenna type connection Then yes, there should be a SAT IN on that media switch box.. Route it there and simply choose SAT.

IF it only has A/V outputs (The red/white/yellow jacks) then put an A/B type video switch in the line that goes to the DVD in on the media box and feed it that way.
Thanks. I'll check that and take out the adapter for the HD signal. I can always put it back if I use the antenna. It's time to upgrade the TVs.

One other thing is the Dish receiver seems to get pretty hot. Much more than I would expect. Is this normal?
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Here is how I had my DishNetwork setup in my RV. I used a DVR that supported two TV's.

1. The dish (aka satellite antenna) had one cable going into the entertainment center to a signal separator (looks like a splitter, but separates the signal into 2 paths - a splitter will not pass thru the 18v from the receiver to power the LNBF).
  2. The separator had 2 outputs which connected to Antenna Input 1 and Input 2.
  3. TV1 output went into the main TV Satellite connection on my Winegard switch.
  4. TV2 output went into the bedroom TV Satellite connection on my Winegard switch.

Everything worked perfectly. When I upgraded my main TV to HD, I then removed the TV1 cable and ran an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV HDMI in connection, bypassing the Winegard switch. I then switched the TV inputs using the INPUT button for the TV.

The receiver does get a bit warm. It is made to sit out in the open with good airflow around it. I found I had to leave one of my entertainment center doors open to let the heat out. I forget the exact temperature, but at a predefined temp, the receiver will shut down until it cools down.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish