RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My bad experiences with Dish network

I upgraded to the new Hopper 3. Huge mistake. I have been a dish customer for over 15 years. I had two leased hoppers in my home and I purchased a hopper for my RV. I wanted to get a hopper 3 for my home and for my RV. I could not have two hoppers 3s on my account. We discussed that at length for several conversations and I agreed to just get the one for my home and keep my hopper i owned in the Motor HOme. I was told because I had been a long term customer I would not have to sign a new contract to get the hopper 3. The technician came today and installed the hopper 3. When he was done he told me he did not have a tablet and gave me his cell phone to sign that i had received the equipment. I asked him about a contract and he told me that would be whatever I had agreed to when I placed the order all he was having me sign was that he had installed the equipment. When they went to install the hopper 3 they would not let them activate it with any other receivers online. I would have to let them deactivate all of the receivers then when they had the hopper 3 active I could go back and reactivate the hopper in the motor home. When i went to reactivate my hopper in the motor home I was told I could not have another hopper on my account with the hopper 3. I can get a vp211 reciever for the motor home and put int on my account but I cannot have the hopper I purchased and used for two years on my account. When i told them i was going to switch to direct tv they told me i had a 2 year contract with them when i put the new equipment in. Evidently what i had signed was not just that I had recieved the equipment but was a two year contract. I am going to see if there is a right of recission on this type of contract if so I will go directly to directv and just bite the bullet for a new sattelite dish for the RV. if i cannot get out of my contract I will just lower my dish programming to the lowest cheapest I can get and get a new directv contract until i am finished with Dish. I would not recommend anyone do any buisness with a company that has policies this ridiculous. I am taking part of the blame because I let the installer tell me that I was just signing a receipt and did not read what he had on his smartphone. I may be stuck for a while but i can at least let others know they want to think long and hard about whether or not they want to do buisness with Dish network.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

Isn't there a 3-day grace period for cancelling such contracts? Your local legal aid folks might be helpful.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The three day recision period is if the salesman came to your home and you signed the contract there. They might consider the contract to be binding once you gave the OK to have the unit installed and start the contract when on the phone with them.
This one is different though so legal advice is needed. But you still only have three days to notify them in writing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had Dish TV in 2009 when we went to Alaska. As we headed north I had more and more trouble getting the satellite receiver to lock onto a signal. I called both King Dome and Dish TV, and finally just gave up. I was under the impression that I was on a pay as you go contract. We didn't use the system for 2 months but when I got home I had a bill for the entire time. I called dish to complain and was told that I should have suspended my service. I told them I called an complained about my problems but was never told of the option to suspend service.

When I said I was not going to pay the bill they immediately said they would just turn my bill over to a collections service. I then said OK I will pay but I wanted to cancel my service. I argued with the person on the phone for an hour as he wouldn't let me cancel. I finally demanded to speak with his supervisor who finally agreed to let me cancel.

I have not had cable or satellite service since then, ~7 years of just over the air TV FREE!!!!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

Funny, similar situation happened to me with DirecTV. I had been a customer for 12 years and always purchased my upgraded receivers over that time and only signed an original two year term agreement. When I tired of the never ending price increases, I terminated my account. They said I still had 14 months on my last receiver upgrade activation, even though I purchased the receiver. When I told them I had never agreed to such an account term, they said I didn't have to... it was understood and referred me to some obscure page on their website. I contested the monthly charges with my credit card provider and after reviewing the evidence and testimony, I prevailed.

DirecTV threatened me for months with litigation and when I told them to "bring it on" they gave up. A year later they contacted me, saying they missed me and wanted me back.

I am now content with the never ending price increases with Dish.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The three day recision period is if the salesman came to your home and you signed the contract there. They might consider the contract to be binding once you gave the OK to have the unit installed and start the contract when on the phone with them.
This one is different though so legal advice is needed. But you still only have three days to notify them in writing.
I am not sure about it. You are exactly right about the 3 day rescision. I have been on the FTC website and read the rules and exceptions. If the contract was done over the phone then it is an exception. The fact that i was told they were not going to require a contract then the installer fraudulently told me I was not signing a contract just signing that he had installed it would at the very least in my opinion make it a contract signed at the home which would be under the rules to rescind. I am going to send them a registered letter tomorrow which will safeguard my rights. My wife is an attorney and we have been talking about it on the phone she is in the motor home at the moment and i am at our brick and stick house. If I can not rescind the contract I can buy a portable dish for about 100.00 with connections for the new hopper 3. It is actually easier to hook up than the old hopper was. If worse comes to worse then I can get the portable dish and use the new hopper 3 in the motor home and then just take it back and forth as we go from one to the other. It will actually lower my bill because i will not have as many hoppers hooked up.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ahhh "built in legal advice"!

We have always had Direct with just SD service/receivers. The new to us Magna came with two Direct HD receivers and a MotoSat HD dish set for Direct. I've contacted Direct and they have no record of the receivers ever having been activated but both have heat burned cards in them so they were used. Been thinking about upgrading to HD at home then move the receivers back and forth which is fine under Directs rules. BUT I'm afraid of getting int a contract dispute with the upgrade. Should only cost me $10 a mo more and I'd get both our owned HD receivers on the present contract. I know getting a "free" upgrade to one HD receiver would add 2 years to a contract. Been thinking it over for a year now and still can't make up my mind. Been watching SD since we first got TV in the 1950's so why do I need it now?

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What just makes no sense at all is the policies they have.

1. You cannot have two hopper 3 systems on the same account. I thought that maybe it was because they were low on supply because this is a new piece of equipment. Then I looked I can buy the Hopper 3 on ebay. so it is not a supply issue. Then i offered to buy my new hopper 3 and just put it on my account. I cannot do that because you cannot have 2 hopper 3 systems on the same account period.

2. Cannot have my existing hopper on the same account. I had three hoppers yesterday and have had for the last three years. I was told that the new hopper 3 cannot work with the old antenna LBE and they want to make sure that they do not get mixed up. I could understand that except one of the options they offered was for me to get a VIP 211z for the motor home. That works on the old LBE which is what my hopper 2 I purchased works on so it really makes no difference equipment wise if i have a Hopper 2 (which is what i own) or a vip 211z in the motor home. They both use the same antenna.

3. Long term customer service does not seem important to them but when i switch to Directv they will offer me all kind of financial inducements to come back to dish and have people calling me for a year. Literally all it would take to have me as a customer is to allow me to either let me buy my own hopper 3 ( my preferred option) or put the hopper I already own back on my account like it was this morning. That seems to be a lot easier than begging me to come back and offering me discounted programming and cash incentives.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I think you will need to get all your installation information together and then call Dish and request a supervisor to talk to right off the bat. I think they will let your go back to a configuration that actually works, since the installer clearly should not have allowed you to accept a equipment configuration that is not supported by Dish with 2 Hopper 3s.

One thing you might consider is seeing if Dish will let you return the 2nd Hopper 3 and just moving the single Hopper 3 back and forth between the house and RV, if you don't use both at the same time.

Also be aware that Hopper 3 likely won't work in your RV, you can't just change out a old receiver, even a Hopper 2, to a Hopper 3 without replacing some other items too.

Hopper 3 is not compatible with the RV dish LNB on the sat dish that worked with Hopper 2 and earlier receivers. It is also not compatible with the older switches and nodes, if any, in your RV. Dish introduced new switches and nodes in December that must be used with the Hopper 3. It is true that a Dish service solution with a Hopper 3 can only use Hopper 3 and Joeys, all other receivers are not allowed if you have Hopper 3.

If you buy a portable dish for your RV, it likely will not come with the new LNB that just came out in December unless you specifically shop for this. It will also not come with the new node that must go between the dish and the Hopper 3 that also just came out in December.

I am in process of setting my RV up for Hopper 3 and will be posting a how-to thread in a few weeks.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
What just makes no sense at all is the policies they have.

1. You cannot have two hopper 3 systems on the same account. I thought that maybe it was because they were low on supply because this is a new piece of equipment. Then I looked I can buy the Hopper 3 on ebay. so it is not a supply issue. Then i offered to buy my new hopper 3 and just put it on my account. I cannot do that because you cannot have 2 hopper 3 systems on the same account period.
No, it's not a supply issue. It is a "It-Won't-Work" thing.

Technically, you can't have two (or more) Hopper 3s on the same dish because each Hopper 3 would have to be connected to Port 1 on the Hybrid LNBF. Currently, that can't be done.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Also be aware that Hopper 3 likely won't work in your RV, you can't just change out a old receiver, even a Hopper 2, to a Hopper 3 without replacing some other items too.

Hopper 3 is not compatible with the RV dish LNB on the sat dish that worked with Hopper 2 and earlier receivers. It is also not compatible with the older switches and nodes, if any, in your RV. Dish introduced new switches and nodes in December that must be used with the Hopper 3. It is true that a Dish service solution with a Hopper 3 can only use Hopper 3 and Joeys, all other receivers are not allowed if you have Hopper 3.

If you buy a portable dish for your RV, it likely will not come with the new LNB that just came out in December unless you specifically shop for this. It will also not come with the new node that must go between the dish and the Hopper 3 that also just came out in December.
Not true. If you're just using a Hopper 3 (and no Joey 2.0s), then you can connect a Travler (or portable dish) directly to the Hopper 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I am in process of setting my RV up for Hopper 3 and will be posting a how-to thread in a few weeks.
DISH Pro Hybrid Winegard Travler Upgrade

Hopper 3 & the Winegard Travler

Hopper 3 Activation & Diagnostics
Old 03-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Typical DISH scam tactic.
Contact your states Attorney General or Consumer Protection Dept.
If the tech told you that you were signing to acknowledge receipt of the equipment, then that was the verbal contract regardless of what the hidden pages said that he did not show you.
Don't let them screw you. Pursue it until they either fix it or return the equip.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Typical DISH scam tactic.
Contact your states Attorney General or Consumer Protection Dept.
If the tech told you that you were signing to acknowledge receipt of the equipment, then that was the verbal contract regardless of what the hidden pages said that he did not show you.
Don't let them screw you. Pursue it until they either fix it or return the equip.
This is good info. I have had good results using the State Attorney General office.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
No, it's not a supply issue. It is a "It-Won't-Work" thing.

Technically, you can't have two (or more) Hopper 3s on the same dish because each Hopper 3 would have to be connected to Port 1 on the Hybrid LNBF. Currently, that can't be done.
I actually never wanted to have 2 hopper 3s on the same dish. I wanted one for the brick and stick house and one for the motorhome. What I agreed to was to put the new hopper 3 in the brick and stick and then leave my Hopper 2 which I purchased and own in my motor home. The big problem came when they told me they had to deactivate all the recievers on my account to get the hopper to reactivate then they said they would reactivate my Hopper 2 in the motor home after they got the hopper 3 activated at the stick and brick house. We got the hopper 3 activated then when I called back like they told me to they would not reactivate the hopper 2.

Tags
dish