Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first trip with Dish, Wally and Pathway X2

We recently signed up for Dish at our S&B home with local channels, no problems.

Took one of the Wally boxes with us to see the eclipse. As we went north we had to "tell" Wally what state we were in each night and wait 5 minutes for the Pathway to find the satellites then 10 minutes for Wally to download the channel guide .

No problem with that as I understand why.

We could not get the local Texas channels because our location had changed and they were not available at our temporary location. I thought the local channels would follow us as we moved. I called Dish and was told It don't work that way. If I wanted to call when I'm away from home I can change my address to get the local station where I'm sitting but my S&B locals are not available :-(

Is this correct ?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything stated is typical. The automatic portables, just like the Trav'ler self aim, then the receiver downloads program data (the guide).

To get the "locals" (network affiliates), you must be within the "spot beam." This is usually a 200-300 mile circle around the affiliate's "market". When you leave that spot beam, you must contact Dish (phone or chat) to change your "Service Address" DO NOT USE THE TERM, NOR LET THEM TALK ABOUT YOUR BILLING ADDRESS.

BTW, Dish just re-offered Distant Network Service (DNS) after several years without offering it. For the same $10 a month, Dish will authorize RV accounts to receive Los Angeles network affiliates nation-wide...no changing "locals."
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dish-...ck-352747.html

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

true... we travel a lot around GA, AL, n FL, SC, NC, and TN and usually are in the same 'Local Service' area of metro ATLANTA for local channels, IF, and I mean IF, we don't immediately tell Dish of our new address... here's what I mean:

if you move, and immediately tell Dish your new address, they will determine WHICH spot beam, if several, is appropriate for that address - even though spot beams for different areas OVERLAP in certain areas, such as the edges of the states surrounding Georgia. If you WANT those local channels, such as Anderson, SC, then tell Dish. Otherwise, if you were already on the Atlanta local channels and don't wish to change, then DON'T change(don't tell Dish)...

HOW do you know if you are still in the 'spot beam' of the local channels from where you moved from? SIMPLE. Turn on your receiver and acquire the satellites.

if you still pickup the same local channels, you're good to go.

Otherwise, you have moved from that spot beam for local channels, and must update your Service Address with Dish to receive those local to your new area.

also, a note:

Like many folks with Dish, I PREFER HD channels over anything else. Many local channels will be in HD, but some local channels will only be viewable over SD channels. If you have your 'Favorites' set up with your old local HD channels, and you move to new address where you must change your Local Service address, and the channels are only available in SD, you may think you are not receiving them, but in reality they may not show up in your GUIDE since you are only viewing your 'Favorite' HD channels - A good way to show any local channels, the lower numbers, is to change the guide to either 'MY CHANNELS' or 'ALL CHANNELS', where you can then confirm you are receiving them.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

I have a question on using Dish as your TV provider. First of all do you have to get the "local" channels or is it an option on your service? Used to be an option years ago when I had dish.

Presuming it is not an option and you have to get them as part of your plan, if you take your only S&B single receiver, a wally for instance, with you in the RV when traveling while using the roof mounted stationary trav'ler sat dish, what happens if you leave your "spot" location?

Does the system not work at all unless you call Dish first or do you just not get your local S&B channels but everything else works? Isn't the entire purpose of the Trav'ler sat dish to get your Dish service, at least those channels that aren't local to your S&B without having to call them every time you move more than 300 miles?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
https://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...networkmarkets

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

KZ RV Club

https://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...CIEL2_SB17.jpg

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The locals are now ( about a year I believe ) optional .. you can get it without .. about 10 bucks cheaper . the traveler locks onto the satellites by itself .. it has its own control box and doesn't use the receiver to locate the satellites ,it doesn't us care what your viewing. "package "is. The locals you subscribe to if any ,and are out of the beam just won't be there .. the rest all will. You just need the dish to be able to see all the satellites . Also If you can't see one then the channels On that bird are missing
Old 08-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, you must contact Dish to have them change your SERVICE address to where you are located. You then get the local channels for wherever you are located. Easiest way is to use chat, rather than calling.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #9

Thanks for the info That is GREAT! I guess for the extra $10 now you can get either the NY or Cal locals no matter where you are as they must not be part of that "spot" stuff.

That would all seem to make sense because calling Dish customer service every time you moved over 300 miles would be a nightmare which is exactly why I got rid of them 10 years ago.

By chance, as far as watt usage goes, would you know how many watts the wally receiver and Travl'er sat dish uses? I think once the sat system fixes on the three Dish sats you can turn it off and then just use the wally receiver and of course the TV. If you know

Thanks again for that information.

Daniel
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
I have a question on using Dish as your TV provider. First of all do you have to get the "local" channels or is it an option on your service? Used to be an option years ago when I had dish.
We have locals...was split from the pay service packs of the Pay-As-You-Go plan, and we didn't drop. Now looking at getting DNS...not decided, yet.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dish-...ck-352747.html
Only L.A....no NY option I know of.

Quote:
Presuming it is not an option and you have to get them as part of your plan, if you take your only S&B single receiver, a wally for instance, with you in the RV when traveling while using the roof mounted stationary trav'ler sat dish, what happens if you leave your "spot" location?
Locals are now a $10 option (a recent change). But if you have it, the spot beam drops about 200-300 miles from the affiliate's market.

Quote:
Does the system not work at all unless you call Dish first or do you just not get your local S&B channels but everything else works? Isn't the entire purpose of the Trav'ler sat dish to get your Dish service, at least those channels that aren't local to your S&B without having to call them every time you move more than 300 miles?
Loss of any channel (or 1-2 birds) does not prevent the receiver from operating. And, only the "locals" are spot beamed. But reportedly, the Wally will operate without any SAT reception (DVR play-back possible). Plus, with the Over The Air (OTA) dongle the 211 (Z or Wally, K has it integral) receivers will receive any broadcast DTV channels within range.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club

My Wally uses about .5 amp on to off (12 volts) according to my trimetric panel but realize it's not really off you would need to unplug or switch it off don't know for sure but I assume another .5 amp
The tv uses about 1.5 amps .. of course again that's my 32" tv yours will be higher or lower .. and it uses phantom power also if plugged in
Yes you can turn off the controller. I use a power strip to turn off DVD player controller etc things I don't need just to watch sat tv if I'm on batteries and it's cloudy and aren't able to recover my usage with solar ,doesn't amount to much but ...
Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #12

Thanks

Daniel
Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Thanks for the info That is GREAT! I guess for the extra $10 now you can get either the NY or Cal locals no matter where you are as they must not be part of that "spot" stuff.

That would all seem to make sense because calling Dish customer service every time you moved over 300 miles would be a nightmare which is exactly why I got rid of them 10 years ago.

By chance, as far as watt usage goes, would you know how many watts the wally receiver and Travl'er sat dish uses? I think once the sat system fixes on the three Dish sats you can turn it off and then just use the wally receiver and of course the TV. If you know

Thanks again for that information.
Not quite sure what you mean. The dish has one LNB and finds the 3 satellites by rotating the dish. This means you can only "see" one satellite at a time. The dish is powered by the receiver thru the coax.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club

I think ( if I understood correctly) he's discussing the Traveler .. a 3 lnb auto dish and has its own powered control box . The receiver can "see" one lnb at a time but can switch instantly between them without rotating anything . Traveler and RF mogul use a separate control to aim the dish not the receiver once aimed the receiver provides the power to use the aimed lnb

Tags
dish