RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

My new high speed unlimited Internet setup

I just "completed" the installation of some equipment as I get ready to full time (and need Internet to work remotely). I'm pleased with the results so I wanted to share.

1) Internet: AT&T Unlimited (no caps or throttling) via https://store.livinlite.net/ATT-Unli...ter-_p_25.html
2) Router: MOFI4500 (MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4_COMBO [MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4_COMBO] - $314.99)
3) 2 External Yagi antennas in MIMO config (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
4) 2 antenna cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5) Suction cup mount: https://www.technorv.com/suction-cup-antenna-mount/
6) 6 foot length of 1" PVC from local hardware store

I went from 14 down / 7 up (on the AT&T card using the built-in paddle antennas on the MOFI4500) to 42 down / 28 up. 39ms ping.

The MOFI4500 has Advanced LTE / CAT6 carrier aggregation capabilities as well as band lock and lots of other capabilities which ultimately is why I ended up choosing it.

Side benefit - not only do I have 4 GIG-E ports, but the TM-555 (Silverleaf Telematics / My Rozie) box no longer fails to connect over Ethernet like it did with the Winegard.

I still have some "fit and finish" to do with this - such as routing the antenna cables and keeping them as short as possible but as it stands now, I'm a happy camper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice...
Will be interested on how well your AT&T service works as you travel... Here in Iowa I could never get AT&T data to work.
We have US Cellular, and I purchased a Verizon jetpack that I have not yet activated. We put a ubiquity omni directional antenna for picking up WiFI from parks and installed it our our power tv antenna "lift".
Going to winter in TX so am going to wait till I get down their to see what options work best from the locals!
Bill

Toad: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
W0GEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #3

Whatís great about this setup is it supports all the providers so I just swap my SIM card and go. I tested my T-Mobile card (my previous Internet solution) on it and that worked fine, too.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Whatís great about this setup is it supports all the providers so I just swap my SIM card and go. I tested my T-Mobile card (my previous Internet solution) on it and that worked fine, too.
You plug into the router or your AT&T device?
Toad: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
W0GEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

I'm confused on the "MIMO Configuration". MIMO consists of a vertically polarized and a horizontally polarized antenna in the same antenna. So I'm not sure how you're setting up 2 yagis in that config.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

I just bought a AT&T NightHawk Mobal Hot Spot after two RV parks in a row did NOt have any WiFi. Only have used it one time but both my wifes and my computer can be on at one time and works fine for us. Not to stream moves but basis emails etc is fine. Nice thing is that it has two ext antenna ports built in and you can buy them extra of course to boost the cell signal. Simple pay as you go AT&T plan was reasonable and worked for us.
Dhunwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

How much do you have to fine tune the direction of the antennas for best results? I'm getting ready to go full time and keep my job at a large Managed Service Provider. I will need RDP connectivity to work effectively and am looking into this type of solution.
Infomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GEN View Post
Nice...
Will be interested on how well your AT&T service works as you travel... Here in Iowa I could never get AT&T data to work.
We're currently traveling through the mountain west with both AT&T and Verizon connections. It's very nice having both since there have been areas where one or the other doesn't work. For the past week we've been at Diamond Lake (near Crater Lake in OR) and there isn't the slightest bit of AT&T service to be had. I'm now a believe in having multiple carriers.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
How much do you have to fine tune the direction of the antennas for best results? I'm getting ready to go full time and keep my job at a large Managed Service Provider. I will need RDP connectivity to work effectively and am looking into this type of solution.
I'm using one of the AT&T Mobley devices and for the past 18 months remoting to my companies hosted Citrix environment. I've only been to 2 places where the AT&T service wasn't good enough to let me work. The first was a park where there was zero service outside of Yosemite. The second is here in Bar Harbor where I am now. There is service from AT&T but not good enough to work. There are days when I may be getting 5Mbps download and be on the remote machine sharing my screen while on a WebEx with someone else controlling my connection. The Mobley is notoriously for being slower than other devices, so I'd assume with the setup listed you would be fine. My Personal Cell is AT&T but my company phone is Verizon. I'm using that connection on days when AT&T is too slow so definitely have multiple ways to connect.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
The LivinLite.net "unlimited" plans are always subject to going away because they are reselling lines in violation of the carrier's rules. This is why the Verizon plan on LivinLite.net is "sold out." It's not sold out, Verizon revoked all the SIMs that were using that service.

ATT has not shown any sign of doing the same - but they could at any time and you'd be without a similar alternative.

LivinLite.net stresses that these are monthly plans because they know that these plans are subject to revocation by the carrier at any time. This is why you pay LivinLite.net monthly and not ATT for the service.

Netbuddy.co offers the same ATT plan for 1/2 the price. So you could save $60 a month with their SIM. It's assumed they're reselling iPad prepaid unlimited plans. https://netbuddy.co/product/activated-sim

As with any of these 3rd party vendors, most are not legit behind the scenes and can disappear at any moment.

But hey, unlimited ATT for $60 a month is a pretty good deal even if it goes away sometime in the future. At the $120 a month you're paying... I'm not so sure.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhunwick View Post
I just bought a AT&T NightHawk Mobal Hot Spot after two RV parks in a row did NOt have any WiFi. Only have used it one time but both my wifes and my computer can be on at one time and works fine for us. Not to stream moves but basis emails etc is fine. Nice thing is that it has two ext antenna ports built in and you can buy them extra of course to boost the cell signal. Simple pay as you go AT&T plan was reasonable and worked for us.

Just noticed that you are new here and wanted to say hello!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Just noticed that you are new here and wanted to say hello!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe Net Buddy is just a polished, and marked-up, version of many plans like this one being offered on eBay at $29.99 per month
AT&T Unlimited Data 4G LTE Plan

Disclaimer: I don't have any relationship with the above eBay seller, but just posted his link as he has good feedback offering this program (with the exception of one buyer) for at least six months, however there are many others to choose from.

I have read posts on another forum where at least three members have been on this type of plan for a few months with no throttling even after exceeding 25+GB of service.

I am already on the Mobley Connected Car plan otherwise I wouldn't hesitate trying one of these plans since after making the initial purchase from the eBay seller, all future transactions are directly with AT&T.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Have not got the two extra antennas for the unit yet. I wanted to see how well it works with stock built in ones. Then if I still have problems I can add that as the next step. If that is still not good enough I can go with one of the cell boosters that I would build into the RV.
Thanks
Dave

Dhunwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet