Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Navigation, GPS, RV, etc

Greetings!

I am a big GPS fan, was a early adopter, back when you had to read the book to use it. I currently have a Zumo motorcycle unit (Garmin) but my latest unit no longer has a mode you can set to select routes for non passenger vehilces. Truck mode, etc.. It keeps wanting us to go on silly roads where we don't below with a RV. Amamzing choice for Garmin, nearly a $1,000 gps by the time you get done with bike moounts etc.. (for those not familiar its a waterproof unit, pretty rugged)

Anybody using a specific RV GPS? Like the Rand McNally? Thinking about buying a RV specific unit and wonder if there is a favorite? Thinking a bigger screen would be nice in the MH as well.

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the Magellan 710 and I love it. It give me all the info I need to include speed limit, low bridges etc. will also let me set length of vehicle and as such will advise about issues with narrow roads/turns
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

I am always amazed at those who depend on their GPS to keep them out of trouble. Its only a tool and without sufficient knowledge of where you are going your in big trouble. Get a good Rand McNally truckers atlas. Red roads are truck routes. Low bridges etc are listed in front. But understand that with all the shovel ready projects a few years back , many repaving jobs were done. Only you and your eyes reading signs will keep you out of trouble.
We have used a simple Garmin for years. Only once have had an issue and it was our own fault for not having g a good understanding of where we were going
It must be the truck drivers daughter In me!!!!
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

Hey, I'm an amazing guy.....

Got the trucker atlas, don't follow the GPS on bad routes, and still I am interested in an rv GPS.

Go figure.

L.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the Garmin RV760 and couldn't be happier.
Every tool has a purpose. I wouldn't expect a motorcycle unit to warn me about RV issues.

The RV 760, you put in your rig details one time and you are done. The key is hooking it up and getting updates. Mine has not steered me wrong yet. As with any tool, you still have to pay attention to the road and warning signs on it. No system is perfect.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We use the Rand 7720, big 7" screen, set length, height, and has a fuel log which is nice. We still use the Atlas as a back up.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Hey, I'm an amazing guy.....

Got the trucker atlas, don't follow the GPS on bad routes, and still I am interested in an rv GPS.

Go figure.

L.
Sorry. My post sounded a little sharp toned. Didn't mean it to. Our Atlas is our go too. The GPS is kinda of an early warning system for turn lanes and exits etc. Have a great adventure. Now if I could just teach Ron how to use google earth to check out parking lot s and fuel stops I'd be a very happy Gal
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #8

Garmin 760 for us. It worked wonderfully on our trip to Winter Garden Fl in Jan.
Did not have a single issue.
We took it off the bracket and used it like a tablet pc to get to my cousin's house.
Internal battery lasts for about 1.5 hours. Really like the 7 inch screen.

Garmin safely,

Alex
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

Yea, I agree on the motorcycle unit, but my old Zumo 450, you could select whatever you were driving and be good to go. But it died after 12 years and I had to upgrade. New one, your on a bike or in a car....

I was looking at that rand model, I also like the big screen. GPS is a lot further from me in the coach.

They brag that they have a high concentration of RV facilities in the points of interests lists. That is interesting to me. One feature I value the most with having a GPS is finding stuff.. Got a flat, need to buy a tire, one search and there it is, complete with phone number. Unfortunatly I've used that feature a few times! LOL

An atlas don't help too much with that. Of course you can google, if there is cell service.

Linda, Debbie says I do the same thing, pick places for the night and then see them! We have been there, done that. LOL

PPL motorhomes has it on sale for $290.

L.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
We use the Rand 7720, big 7" screen, set length, height, and has a fuel log which is nice. We still use the Atlas as a back up.
Our Magna has a Garman GPS built in, but I prefer the 7720 over it. But the built in one still has the 2008 programming and hasn't been updated. Going to cost $99 + shipping whereas the 7720 came with lifetime upgrades.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Camping World now has the Rand McNally/GS 7730/35(same 7" unit), for $249.xx. That is the lowest I've ever seen in pricing. This model is dependent on the owner attaching it to a computer and updating the extra features through the Rand McNally Dock software about once a month.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

I'm a Garmin fan too for some reason. I sublime to the standards maps with downloaded POI files from POIFactory for Rv stuff like campgrounds, flyingJ, rest areas, etc.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
So many post and so many people being amazed.
Maps and GPS companies no longer produce there own maps. Whether paper or electronic. Example, RM Trucker Road Atlas and the GPS system use the same company. If you were to go to Setting and the About/Credits you would find which company produce the Maps.
Example: PaPaGo maps, Igo maps, Navteq produces maps for both Garmin & Magellan.

I myself use Igo, installed on a WinCE based GPS. The maps are set for Trucks similar to the Road Atlas. Another bit of knowledge is most if not ALL GPS systems are WinCE Base. The difference is the additional software loaded on the GPS's. Maintenance, Stops, CampGrounds, OnLine Weather thru WiFi.

Our on-board system for trips is as follows:
RM Trucker Road Atlas, Still like looking at the Overall route marking with a grease pencil.
Microsoft S&T 2013, it is still the best planning software we have with the Discovery Owners Megafile POI file, with a GPS receiver attached while traveling.
Double Din Indash Radio/CD/SD/USB/GPS system with Igo Primo Software for Maps.

Whoever is driving DaGirls Rv (Susan or I), the other always will look over the route especially when going thru a city, or coming close to one of the stops planned for the day.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was a trucker many years ago and can't believe I went to the places I did with paper maps. Lots of them were in cities where you just plotted the simpalist route that you could.

Now we have Garmins in all of our vehicles along with paper maps just in case. For our RV we have the Garmin 760 dezl with life time maps. It has a large screen and you enter the specs for your rig and it routes you around hazards, along with routing you around traffic delays.

On the other hand I always peruse the route we are to drive on either paper or computer prior to driving it. I don't always let Garmin make all the decisions.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps