Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Need a Satellite Dish

Looking for a satellite nothing crazy but prefer Dish any advice on Playmaker or Tailgater or King what's the difference between some of them. We don't care about watching sports or NASCAR. Just need something decent so wife doesn't get board.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

These days I might go so far as to suggest forgetting satellite completely and get a mobile internet device like the AT&T Mobley with a $20 per month Unlimited (22 GB then possible throttling) data plan and stream services like Amazon Prime or Netflix. I used this for all my television needs on a recent month long RV trip, and it worked fine for me. Sure there will be locations with poor service, but those are getting harder and harder to find every year, and even with a satellite dish you will still have to deal with trees obstructing line of sight in camp grounds.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the difference between the Wally receiver and the Dish receiver? I see different packages offered?
Old 09-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Wally is a Dish receiver but with little capacity. What we use are two 211s. One is a 211z which I have a hard drive plugged into and can record programs. The 211 is a dish receiver.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The Wally is a Dish receiver but with little capacity. What we use are two 211s. One is a 211z which I have a hard drive plugged into and can record programs. The 211 is a dish receiver.

So basically only viewing capacity nothing special?
Old 09-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You need to understand that the antenna is the more important decision. A full size dish has much more gain than the cute little ones.

What this means is that in poor atmospheric conditions or in heavily wooded areas, the guys with full size dishes may be locked in on all three satellites, while the little dish units may not always get a solid lock.

I frequently park next to folks with roof domes that do not get reception, while my full size Traveler dish is able to pick up the weak signal coming through tree branches.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
These days I might go so far as to suggest forgetting satellite completely and get a mobile internet device like the AT&T Mobley with a $20 per month Unlimited (22 GB then possible throttling) data plan and stream services like Amazon Prime or Netflix. I used this for all my television needs on a recent month long RV trip, and it worked fine for me. Sure there will be locations with poor service, but those are getting harder and harder to find every year, and even with a satellite dish you will still have to deal with trees obstructing line of sight in camp grounds.
I'll second this, the latest cellular plans have made streaming practical and at a lower cost and better selection than satellite. And as to availability, I experienced more times I couldn't use satellite TV due to trees than I have when I couldn't use streaming because of coverage.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So now I have something else to consider. Can you get local channels when streaming. Also won't my iPad get hot streaming for hrs at a time?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So now I have something else to consider. Can you get local channels when streaming. Also won't my iPad get hot streaming for hrs at a time?
Generally you'll just get your local channels off the air.

You can stream to one of the many set-top boxes available (Roku, etc.) and since these have an HDMI output they connect directly to your TV so you don't need a phone or iPad. But FWIW I can stream indefinitely on my tablet and it doesn't get hot so you can do it that way as well.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Generally you'll just get your local channels off the air.

You can stream to one of the many set-top boxes available (Roku, etc.) and since these have an HDMI output they connect directly to your TV so you don't need a phone or iPad. But FWIW I can stream indefinitely on my tablet and it doesn't get hot so you can do it that way as well.

But you need wifi so it seems a dish would be more certain other than weather and trees. We have Uverse at home no dish of any kind.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

The Mobley is a portable wifi access point (up to 5 devices at a time) that gets its signal from the cell phone network with a 4G or 4G LTE connection this supports streaming (LTE is generally needed for HD). So your TV connected by wifi either as a smart tv or with a Roku, Fire TV, etc. to your Mobley, and the Mobley connects to the internet over the cell network.

Now this solution will not tend to get you the major networks, or the shows that premiered over broadcast media tonight, but if you just want something to watch it gives access to thousand or older movies and tv shows, often up to last season. There is also a trend to support streaming access over the internet to current shows, if you can prove you have a subscription back home to cable or satellite.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
But you need wifi so it seems a dish would be more certain other than weather and trees. We have Uverse at home no dish of any kind.
As above the only WiFi network you need is generated by your cellular hotspot so local obstructions aren't an issue. And while cellular signals can be affected by terrain generally the tower is close enough so that you will receive adequate signal. In any event, as I said in my experience cellular can be more reliable than satellite. I just got tired of having to chose my space to avoid trees... I like trees

I have a perfectly good Trav'ler antenna on the rig and full satellite TV setup but we just don't use it anymore, rather just crank up the antenna if we want local channels and select other programming from Netflix, Amazon, etc. If we were TV addicts we might feel differently but watching TV is not why we are on the road. We just want some news and a movie at night and streaming fits the bill just fine.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #13

You can have a satellite system and a Wi-Fi connection and have the best of both worlds. Why not? You will probably have a DVD as well, right? Also, your OTA input. We also connect our computer to the TV system.

For the less expensive satellite antennas, the new Tailgater with two outputs with a removable roof mount is a very attractive option. But, we are more than happy with our Winegard Pathway X1.

It all depends on your needs and wants.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need a Satellite Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
You can have a satellite system and a Wi-Fi connection and have the best of both worlds. Why not? You will probably have a DVD as well, right? Also, your OTA input. We also connect our computer to the TV system.

For the less expensive satellite antennas, the new Tailgater with two outputs with a removable roof mount is a very attractive option. But, we are more than happy with our Winegard Pathway X1.

It all depends on your needs and wants.

I was told the Tailgater may not work well in Central US because I will probably need the Eastern satellites?
So much to figure out.

Tags
satellite, dish