Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

need help with satellite & tv hook up

I have a 2014 Thor Four Winds Class C. It has a wingard Antenna with regular digital tv with a signal booster and cable hook up on the outside. When I regularly hook up cable on the outside, I turn off the booster. Here is my question...if I hook up a portable satellite dish- a wingard carry out MP1 - to the outside cable hookup, how do I hook up the direct tv receiver to the coaxial cable and to the tv. I know I have to shut off the booster but I am not sure what to do to get this to work. I know that I have to go inside by the booster but I am just unsure of what to hook up where? Hook up to the tv, the receiver, and I dont want to run it through a window or door. I want it airtight. I purchased the dish from CW but they cant tell me how to hook it up. Anyone with instructions, insight or a diagram would be appreciated! TYIA!
dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezi View Post
I have a 2014 Thor Four Winds Class C. It has a wingard Antenna with regular digital tv with a signal booster and cable hook up on the outside. When I regularly hook up cable on the outside, I turn off the booster. Here is my question...if I hook up a portable satellite dish- a wingard carry out MP1 - to the outside cable hookup, how do I hook up the direct tv receiver to the coaxial cable and to the tv. I know I have to shut off the booster but I am not sure what to do to get this to work. I know that I have to go inside by the booster but I am just unsure of what to hook up where? Hook up to the tv, the receiver, and I dont want to run it through a window or door. I want it airtight. I purchased the dish from CW but they cant tell me how to hook it up. Anyone with instructions, insight or a diagram would be appreciated! TYIA!
I would think you would also have an external dish connection in the electrical bay or near the cable TV input for satellite. If not it is possible to put a diplexer at each end of the cable TV input. The Sat side of the diplexer would go to the Sat receiver.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If necessary you can do it with a diplexer as Jonn said . I did until I saw the following diagram.

What Winegard calls a "power supply" below is the wall plate with the antenna booster switch and LED showing when the amplifier is on.

If you still want to be able to use the external cable in for both cable TV and the external dish just add an A/B switch to switch the incoming coax from the sat receiver "sat input" to the sat receiver "TV input".

If your receiver doesn't have a coax output (and many new ones don't) and you still want to use the batwing antenna you will need to use an A/B switch to switch the signal between the receiver and the antenna out connection on the wall plate.

One thing not shown in the diagram is using the RCA type connections or the better quality "component" type output or the HDMI (best) output between the sat receiver and the TV.
That will yield a much better picture with no interference from any local channels. You have to select a "video in" with your TV menu instead of using channel 3 (for example).
Some newer satellite receivers don't have a coax output so you may have to use HDMI or component connections.

If you have a video distribution box that will have to be taken into account.

Tags
need help, satellite